jonmarrow wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    OP, if you want biceps, I would recommend the following:

1. Continue on strong lifts
    2. Have patience
    3. Continue on strong lifts
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

If you want your overhead press to improve, see above.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

This is going to take time. It takes consistent, regular work.

Have patience.

I cant have patience when i look at people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0n3N59VnM
    who have a solid physique by doing more or less the same exercises I was doing in my original routine but now I only have to stick to 3 exercises for god knows how long and no guarantee when i will see big forearms and big biceps but other people can hit the gym do all sorts of exercises and get a fit physique!

Why do I have to stick to such a boring routine? life is not fair.

You don't. It just seems like you don't actually know what you want. Stronglifts will give you strenght. Bodybuilding will "sculpt" your body and give you some strength, but not as much as powerlifting types.

That's why I bodybuild - I was the aesthetic look, and don't care if I can't lift 150kg in a deadlift.

It also gives you more opportunity to do other exercises that are not just the 3 lifts.

Oh yeah - and PATIENCE, as others have mentioned above already...

So dude - have a good think about what you actually want - what are you goals? Is it just big biceps? Well get onto a bodybuilding-type hypertrophy program then, you don't need to OHP impressive numbers to grow your biceps.

PS - OHP is hard for everyone, so suck it up and chip away at it like everyone else does.

I want STRENGTH. thats my main goal and thats why I have stuck to doing stronglifts that everyone suggested here. It's a great program so far but at the same time i dont just want to neglect sculpting of my body, especially my forearms and biceps?
    How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps that they at least look normal and strong. I dont want to just get bigger and bigger. I dont to look like a coat hanger, no thanks. I just want a good sculpted physique while having strength.

How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps while being on the stronglifts program? there, that's my question.

Build a base of strength to work with first. Then worry about crap.

But I'll answer your question anyway since your so persistent it's getting rediculous.

Go buy a doorway pull-up bar, hang it in your bathroom, and every time you walk through the door do pull-ups to failure.

Also, go buy a couple of sandbags. Go onto your side walk. Pick one up in each hand. Walk with it til you have to put it down. Then do the same thing back. Repeat.

Thank you i was going to say the same thing. Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can.

I have read many well respected strength and conditioning people will say one shouldn't be messing with isolated bicep and grip work until the have mastered pullups.

Farmer walks are geeat also.

ok what do you mean " Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can." ? this sentence doesnt make sense to me.

u mean its better to incorporporate other isolated exercises for forearms and biceps?

No. Isolation exercises would be of questionable value. What i was suggesting would be do as many pullups as possible. When you can no longer do a repition just hold in the bottom position as long as you can to build grip/forearm strength.

sorry but isn't pullups still an isolation exercise?

issolations are typically when only one joint moves. bicep curls and triceps pushdowns, only the elbow moves. pull-ups both your elbow and shoulder joints and associated muscles are used. squats, knee, ankle and hip compound; leg extension just knees hence isolation.

thanks
    so as I am adding more weights to my stronglifts workout, I am getting a bit worried as to how long I would be able keep this? It felt easy in the beginning but now it's getting difficult to do the workouts as I am adding more weights.
    Is it supposed to feel that way? I dont think I can do past 35 lbs on each side of the barbell.
    What should I do after that? please advise.

How many people, in multiple threads, have already told you that it's meant to feel difficult?

Unreasonable expectations, lack of patience, fear of the work being "hard" appear to be the driving forces here.

Either that or we've all been taking the bait....

@jonmarrow - just put in the work. Be prepared to work hard. Everything you need is out there. Get on the Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, Wendler, Barbell Medicine or whatever site you want. Buy one of their books if you like. Most of what's in the books can be gleaned from their website articles, blogs, forums, etc. Even reddit has forums on this stuff, complete with people posting videos of their form and asking for feedback. They have Facebook pages too.

If you fear this too much to engage, then don't do it. If not, then continue what you've started. If you are totally unsure, get coaching. If you can't afford coaching, video yourself and submit them to one of those places (not here). Watch Alan Thrall's form videos for each of the major lifts. Or Mark Rippetoe or Austin Baraki. After doing that, do it again. A few weeks later, do it again.

I've been at it now for about 30 months. You know what? I still go back and watch form videos. It's still hard work.

so this program works for everyone no matter what? i just have thing at the back of my mind that this may not work for me because genetics are not that good or that im just weak...

OK....

…you win. I now believe we've all been trolled.

You've been at this 12 years and apparently never worried about genetics before.

Actually...

...no you don't win.

Why? Because for all the effort that many have put into helping somebody here who clearly does not want to be helped, I have faith that there is at least one lurker who has been helped by reading a lot of this stuff.

As one who's given plenty of advice in this thread, I've had the chance to learn a few things along the way from others...so we win.

If you are really not trolling, just do the program; whichever one you decide on.

yes I have been doing stronglifts programa and it's my 5th week now. Are you even reading my posts?

Guys, I followed the advice of deloading and for OHP workout today, did not add extra weights. I did the same weights I did last week but still had difficulty completing the set.

Any suggestions on what I can do to be successful at OHP?

• fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    wiigelec wrote: »

LMGT4Y has really gone down hill over the years.

huh? what do you mean?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    5. After a time longer than you think, when your dead lift approaches 300+ for reps (you are about the same size as me, but I'm 25 years older and 20 pounds heavier), so I know over time it will get there, add chin-ups to your routine. If you can't do them, start with either lat pull downs or a chin up "machine" that has an assistance component and work your assistance weight down. You'll get all the benefits of a curl, but you'll augment strength in your core, your back, and your shoulders.
    6. Have patience.

I think most folks who do programs like this - or similar will agree that the OHP is the slowest mover of the lifts. For me, it was always the one that stalled first and most often, that I would need to take a step back every once in a while and go ahead. It is a movement whose form is very important. Most people trip up when they do not engage their entire kinetic chain in the movement. You have to tighten everything for this lift to give the most benefit - and for your growth in it to be the most steady.

To give you an idea, my reps went up pretty steadily until I reached about 105 pounds. I failed the reps on that for 3 straight sessions. Then went back to 85 and worked back up. Passed 105 and stalled again at 120. Backed off to 100 or so, and worked back up. Lather, rinse, repeat. Now, about 1.5 years later, was repping close to 160 for 5 (before a recent car accident - which has sent back down to about 125). It is a process.

Remember that failing reps is a normal part of your progression at times. Follow what the program says about this.

Have patience.

I cant have patience when i look at people like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0n3N59VnM
    who have a solid physique by doing more or less the same exercises I was doing in my original routine but now I only have to stick to 3 exercises for god knows how long and no guarantee when i will see big forearms and big biceps but other people can hit the gym do all sorts of exercises and get a fit physique!

You don't. It just seems like you don't actually know what you want. Stronglifts will give you strenght. Bodybuilding will "sculpt" your body and give you some strength, but not as much as powerlifting types.

That's why I bodybuild - I was the aesthetic look, and don't care if I can't lift 150kg in a deadlift.

It also gives you more opportunity to do other exercises that are not just the 3 lifts.

So dude - have a good think about what you actually want - what are you goals? Is it just big biceps? Well get onto a bodybuilding-type hypertrophy program then, you don't need to OHP impressive numbers to grow your biceps.

PS - OHP is hard for everyone, so suck it up and chip away at it like everyone else does.

I want STRENGTH. thats my main goal and thats why I have stuck to doing stronglifts that everyone suggested here. It's a great program so far but at the same time i dont just want to neglect sculpting of my body, especially my forearms and biceps?
    How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps that they at least look normal and strong. I dont want to just get bigger and bigger. I dont to look like a coat hanger, no thanks. I just want a good sculpted physique while having strength.

How do I sculpt my forearms and biceps while being on the stronglifts program? there, that's my question.

But I'll answer your question anyway since your so persistent it's getting rediculous.

Go buy a doorway pull-up bar, hang it in your bathroom, and every time you walk through the door do pull-ups to failure.

Also, go buy a couple of sandbags. Go onto your side walk. Pick one up in each hand. Walk with it til you have to put it down. Then do the same thing back. Repeat.

Thank you i was going to say the same thing. Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can.

I have read many well respected strength and conditioning people will say one shouldn't be messing with isolated bicep and grip work until the have mastered pullups.

ok what do you mean " Maybe add after you've done pull ups to failure dead hang as long as you can." ? this sentence doesnt make sense to me.

u mean its better to incorporporate other isolated exercises for forearms and biceps?

No. Isolation exercises would be of questionable value. What i was suggesting would be do as many pullups as possible. When you can no longer do a repition just hold in the bottom position as long as you can to build grip/forearm strength.

issolations are typically when only one joint moves. bicep curls and triceps pushdowns, only the elbow moves. pull-ups both your elbow and shoulder joints and associated muscles are used. squats, knee, ankle and hip compound; leg extension just knees hence isolation.

thanks
    so as I am adding more weights to my stronglifts workout, I am getting a bit worried as to how long I would be able keep this? It felt easy in the beginning but now it's getting difficult to do the workouts as I am adding more weights.
    Is it supposed to feel that way? I dont think I can do past 35 lbs on each side of the barbell.

How many people, in multiple threads, have already told you that it's meant to feel difficult?

Unreasonable expectations, lack of patience, fear of the work being "hard" appear to be the driving forces here.

@jonmarrow - just put in the work. Be prepared to work hard. Everything you need is out there. Get on the Strong Lifts, Starting Strength, Wendler, Barbell Medicine or whatever site you want. Buy one of their books if you like. Most of what's in the books can be gleaned from their website articles, blogs, forums, etc. Even reddit has forums on this stuff, complete with people posting videos of their form and asking for feedback. They have Facebook pages too.

If you fear this too much to engage, then don't do it. If not, then continue what you've started. If you are totally unsure, get coaching. If you can't afford coaching, video yourself and submit them to one of those places (not here). Watch Alan Thrall's form videos for each of the major lifts. Or Mark Rippetoe or Austin Baraki. After doing that, do it again. A few weeks later, do it again.

I've been at it now for about 30 months. You know what? I still go back and watch form videos. It's still hard work.

so this program works for everyone no matter what? i just have thing at the back of my mind that this may not work for me because genetics are not that good or that im just weak...

OK....

You've been at this 12 years and apparently never worried about genetics before.

Actually...

...no you don't win.

Why? Because for all the effort that many have put into helping somebody here who clearly does not want to be helped, I have faith that there is at least one lurker who has been helped by reading a lot of this stuff.

As one who's given plenty of advice in this thread, I've had the chance to learn a few things along the way from others...so we win.

If you are really not trolling, just do the program; whichever one you decide on.

yes I have been doing stronglifts programa and it's my 5th week now. Are you even reading my posts?

Guys, I followed the advice of deloading and for OHP workout today, did not add extra weights. I did the same weights I did last week but still had difficulty completing the set.

:D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »

2. Have patience
    4. Have patience
    6. Have patience.

Have patience.

thanks

OK....

Actually...

...no you don't win.

It's all in this thread; re-read the posts that mention deload.
  • Just stop.
  • fitpal02020
    fitpal02020 Posts: 193 Member
    wiigelec wrote: »
    If you could post a video of your press it could be helpful in diagnosing any form issues that may be hindering your progress...

due to security reasons, i really cant share videos.
    how about your share your video showing what correct posture is?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    due to security reasons, i really cant share videos.
    how about your share your video showing what correct posture is?
    Sure my next press session is this coming Sunday...

• karsei01
    karsei01 Posts: 442 Member
    What made the trick for me was two things:
    1) engage your entire body, aka tighten your core, *kitten*, legs etc to really push the weigth
    2) the days I feel really good...put in a cheat rep or two. Even if I would fail at the start of the lift, this means I can finish a rep or two extra.

This discussion has been closed.