Air fryer... yes or no???

Any insights on an air fryer? Is it healthy clean eating since there’s no oil or technical frying involved? I want one so bad have herd a lot of praises but not if it will be detrimental toward my goals and journey? Let me know 😊

Replies

• skinnytacular
    skinnytacular Posts: 159 Member
    edited October 2019
    I have one and use it on occasion when I don't want to heat up my oven, but mostly I use it to heat up things that aren't so healthy, such as frozen tater tots. I have a cauliflower recipe I like to do in the air-fryer, but you can only cook one layer at a time or everything sort of steams in there. I think you can do fish in the airfryer too, but I haven't really tried it.
  • StaciMarie2020
    StaciMarie2020 Posts: 68 Member
    Ps an air fryer is pretty much a small convection oven.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    i love my air fryer, but it's because of convenience and not health related. it certainly won't hurt your goals, assuming you are staying in a calorie deficit (if losing weight is your goal).
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Any insights on an air fryer? Is it healthy clean eating since there’s no oil or technical frying involved? I want one so bad have herd a lot of praises but not if it will be detrimental toward my goals and journey? Let me know 😊

It's just a convection oven.

Cool, this is very helpful. I too have been having this debate with myself about getting one. And I do not have a convection oven or space for one. But a long, long time ago I did.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    I like mine, faster than the oven and it does make things nice and crispy. I use it for once in a while treats- fries, chicken tenders, tater tots, etc. My parents oven bar broke and they used their air fryer for nearly a year as their main 'oven' and it worked great on everything except meatloaf.
  • Bettyboag
    Bettyboag Posts: 218 Member
    I love my air fryer- Convenient, healthy and easy to use
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,145 Member
    I have a countertop convection oven with an air fry setting and basket. It’s slightly bigger and more square than most toaster ovens. I love it. Other than a handful of pizzas, I haven’t even turned on my big oven in the year and a half or so that I’ve had it.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Air fryers are great, love mine.
  • TomFit18
    TomFit18 Posts: 2,581 Member
    Yes!!
  • MelodyMomof2
    MelodyMomof2 Posts: 45 Member
    I love my air fryer!
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Love my air fryer! I actually have 2. And it's not just a convection oven.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I love mine. It is a ninja foodi. Not life changing from the air fryer only side, my favorite thing is frozen chicken breast or steak cooked first with pressure then broiler (which is the air fryer part but just from the top), that is life changing. Frozen to perfect chicken in 1/2 hour? Yes please. Steak is about 20 minutes. From frozen.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    edited October 2019
    I use my air fryer the most out of all kitchen appliances besides a food scale. Cooks perfect chicken breasts, salmon, veggies .Even Steak if you pan sear it first. .....etc. higher the wattage, the better they cook
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    I use my air fryer the most out of all kitchen appliances besides a food scale. Cooks perfect chicken breasts, salmon, veggies .Even Steak if you pan sear it first. .....etc. higher the wattage, the better they cook

For steak I buy thicker cuts, freeze them, and cook at the highest temp. The outside gets crispy while the steak is medium rare. And buy thicker cut I mean at least a 1/2 inch, but an inch is better.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,979 Member
    Roza42 wrote: »

For steak I buy thicker cuts, freeze them, and cook at the highest temp. The outside gets crispy while the steak is medium rare. And buy thicker cut I mean at least a 1/2 inch, but an inch is better.

Interesting...you mean you cook it from frozen on high?
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member

Well I do, but mine is a pressure cooker first. I pressure cook for 0 minutes (just brining to pressure) then broil to desired doneness.

Never tried just straight air frying frozen steaks.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member

Exactly. The outside is crisp and done and the inside is medium rare.