How close do you get to your goals?

So I have been debating with myself as to whether or not the goals (calories and nutrition) are meant for you to get as close to it as possible, or to stay clear of that number. What is your take on it? Do you try and get as close to it as possible without going over, or do you just try and stay under that number?

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    edited October 2019
    I aim to stay within 50-75 calories either way of my target each day and within 100-200 calories of my target weekly.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I try to stay under by a couple hundred when possible mainly because I have a taste of things here and there and I know I have not logged absolutely everything so that's my cushion.
  • gemiller87
    gemiller87 Posts: 137 Member
    I try to stay under the 2lb a week calorie goal by 100-300 calories to account for uncounted for portion size or other variables. Every 2-3 weeks I do 2-4 days in a row of 500-1000 calorie deficit days below my calculated calorie count for a little "progress boost".
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    MFP intends you to eat all the calories it gives you. This means you want to get close to your calorie goal without going over, or if you're looking at weekly calories/"banking," then you want to make sure that your days over your calorie goal are offset by days under it. In either case, your calories left at the end of the day or week should be zero or a small number. The assumption, however, is that you are tracking accurately (i.e., weighing ALL food, using reasonable exercise calorie estimates).

For health, you need minimum amounts of protein, fiber, and fat, unless you have a medical condition that requires you to restrict these things. Many people see their protein and fiber goals as a minimum as @kimny72 said.

You don't need to worry about carbs unless you have a medical condition, such as diabetes, that requires you to restrict carbs.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm currently running a 1000 cal deficit and still eat 3000 cals a day - personally with these kinds of numbers idc if I'm over or under by a few hundred. My protien goal is also set high on purpose so as long as I get within about 30g of it I don't really care much. I also have days where I say screw it and dont track and just mental math my cals and protein and hit maintenance ish.

Edit: I realize this might sound ridiculous to a lot of people but my maintenance is easily around 4000+ calories, sometimes more on workdays or weekends if I lift AND cycle/snowboard/hike or something.

I'm not going to pretend to understand the struggle of the 5'2 woman eating 1500 a day when I can eat a chicken fried steak dinner on a cut.

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited October 2019
    i never go over my daily goal or even use banked calories. I've been using this app long enough now to know my limits
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I've always enjoyed a weekly calorie budget and I also enjoy eating every damn calorie.
  • teresa19622015
    teresa19622015 Posts: 34 Member
    I try and be slightly under, but there’s a day or two a week that I’m a couple hundred over. But I don’t count exercise calories at all so days I have training I’m well under so it balances out. I also think MFP is way too generous with the exercise calories anyway. I watch my macros but really out of curiosity.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I stay within 100 calories of my daily calorie allotment to cover any mistakes in logging, i.e., using incorrect database entries.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I actually have my goals set up in a range - the lower end of the range would be minimal calories, maximum deficit, upper end is still a deficit, but not much of one. I can eat within that range depending on my hunger on that particular day.

Personally I find this much easier to work with than a specific number, but my activity level doesn't change too dramatically.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I've gotten "lazier" as I've maintained in a certain range for several years. I log about 80% of the time now, and usually stay within my target but don't panic if I'm over by <200 calories occasionally. If I am under by more than 300 calories, I'll eat something else because I know that (for me) doing that consistently will cause me to overeat later and have weird, strong cravings.

In the first 2 years on MFP, when I was losing a lot of weight, I tried to be within 100 cal of my goal every day and almost always under, not over.