Elbow wants to swing out on Curls

I'm a mom of a one year old and while trying to get back in shape I've also been mindful of my "mom posture". I carry my baby primarily on one side (left) and I think it's had it's affect on my progress. While doing curls, my elbow wants to swing out on that side. I don't have the issue on the opposite side. I feel like it's restricting me from progressing and lifting heavier. I can do 4 sets of 10 reps on my right arm no problem, but struggle to do half of that on the "problem" side with out my arm wanting to flare outwards. My arms have been the last portion of my body to respond to 3 months of gym time and its frustrating. Just curious if anyone else has this issue or has advice. Should I just lift lighter and be patient?

Replies

• Lower the weight and focus on building the neuromuscular connections for the movement
  • pdmatthews
    pdmatthews Posts: 37 Member
    Is this with dumbbells ? Is try holding them a bit wider (not too much) so that your hand is away from your body and your elbow is tucked. And trying to keep your littlest finger up and you thumb down. Those together should naturally draw your elbow into your side

As above lower weight and practice till your happy. Take care of your wrist as well don’t over supinate it
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2019
    MAEgaut17 wrote: »
    I'm a mom of a one year old and while trying to get back in shape I've also been mindful of my "mom posture". I carry my baby primarily on one side (left) and I think it's had it's affect on my progress. While doing curls, my elbow wants to swing out on that side. I don't have the issue on the opposite side. I feel like it's restricting me from progressing and lifting heavier. I can do 4 sets of 10 reps on my right arm no problem, but struggle to do half of that on the "problem" side with out my arm wanting to flare outwards. My arms have been the last portion of my body to respond to 3 months of gym time and its frustrating. Just curious if anyone else has this issue or has advice. Should I just lift lighter and be patient?

So you can complete two sets of ten?

This maybe a case that I see quite a lot where people feel progressive overload is only accomplished by increasing the intensity.

I would either use a curl bar of choice that with appropriate volume, you can complete all reps/sets dosed.

You can also do the same with dumbbells as well. Just might be easier to accomplish virtually the same task.

Either way, I wouldn't be focused by adding weight necessarily. You can increase the load and gain strength many ways. One being just adding a set at a useful intensity.