WWW- Weight watchers withdrawal

Options
coba
coba Posts: 7 Member
Well maybe not withdrawal BUT I am afraid to do calorie counting because I’ve only ever lost on weight watchers..... I know sounds stupid as cico is obviously much more scientific...... but am nervous as to how many calories I can have. With weight watchers it was all done for me and I liked that you could have weeklies.... just extra points to spend on the weekend or a night or whatever fitness pal has me at 1360 plus my hr inspire Fitbit throws in a few extra calories even though I never go past 8,000 steps. Should I use those ? Should I cut down to like 1260 and save some calories as ‘weeklies’ I’m 5’7.5 and 170 wanna lose a pound a week and just clean the house take care of older kids nothing too strenuous ..... weight watchers seems for older people (so the meeting shows me) thoughts?? Sorry it’s ramble-ly just making sure I can lose consistently with my fitness pal

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    If I were you, I'd switch my goal to 0.5 lbs per week because you don't have that much to lose.

As far as saving calories, many members bank calories for the weekend or a special event. They eat lower calories during the week to have more on the weekend.

There are many former WW members here. They seem to be happier here. Just remember that there are no free foods. Buy a food scale and weigh everything you eat and log into the food diary.

I can't help with your exercise questions but I'm sure more members will be able to assist.

Good luck with your journey!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Many people here do save, or "bank", calories to be able to eat extra on the weekends. I just exercise more when I want to eat more.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

If you previously tried and failed to lose weight via calorie counting, I imagine one of two things happened:
    1. You were miscalculating your Calories In or Calories Out. If you think this might be it, log religiously, weighing everything on a food scale (rather than using measuring cups and spoons), for at least a month and make your diary Public so we can check for common logging errors.
    2. You were undereating, which lead to something like this, or longer periods of undereating, which lead you to have longer binges:

binge-low-calorie-diet.jpg

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

The solution to that is to prevent the binges by creating a smaller deficit (eating more but still in a deficit.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    What's your goal weight?

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • coba
    coba Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks!! All super helpful ... looking to lose around 40..... I didn’t realize that I do strict calorie counting that leads to days of binges?!!!!! Eye opening
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I tried weight watchers a long time ago after weight gain from an immobiliizing injury. I only lost point eight pounds in first three weeks and felt like I was starving.

This time around, losing from an illness that caused weight gain. 45 years old 5'8" started with calorie goal at 1410 (didn't stress if I went over by 200). Was pretty sedentary. Was losing too rapidly for comfort, upped calorie goal to 1650... Still losing, daily intake 1550-2000 daily, depending on amount of exercise and calories burned/allotted calories to eat back.

Good luck, patience is vital when not a lot to lose, and tracking on here gets routine quickly, becomes an easy habit.

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have whatever they call it. I'm a long term forever free member but I will never go back. No thank you. Just count calories.