Don’t want to subtract workout calories

Replies

• slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Given that MFP does allow you to set your own calorie goals, which you can set based on TDEE if you like, then you can't just assume that everyone using MFP should always eat back their calories and that if they don't they are creating too large of a deficit.

I like to key in 1 for my calorie burn, no matter what MFP says because like any other user entered data, some of the calculated calorie burns are way higher than realistic for someone my size.

Exactly what I'm getting at.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    PTA4LYF wrote: »
    you are wrong MFP doesnt expect you to eat the calories back it is teling you the total amount of calories you can consume after the exercise calories are added in so you can still maintain the weight loss goal that you have already established

That isn't how any of this works.
  • Unmasqued
    Unmasqued Posts: 1 Member
    ok, I read down this and still didn't get an answer. HOW can I stop MFP from adding bk my exercise calories? The premise is fine, but I don't want it to do it. I LOVE seeing how many calories I burned, but do NOT want it deducted from my daily limit. I'm trying to lose, not maintain. Please don't tell me it's a good thing and why, just tell me how I can stop it w/o disconnecting my fitbit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Unmasqued wrote: »
    ok, I read down this and still didn't get an answer. HOW can I stop MFP from adding bk my exercise calories? The premise is fine, but I don't want it to do it. I LOVE seeing how many calories I burned, but do NOT want it deducted from my daily limit. I'm trying to lose, not maintain. Please don't tell me it's a good thing and why, just tell me how I can stop it w/o disconnecting my fitbit.

There were a couple of answers on the first page. I can't vouch as to whether they worked then or now because I've never wanted to do that. It sounds like a benefit of Premium is being able to turn off this feature, so you could pay for Premium. If you are manually entering your exercise, you at least used to be able to change the calorie burn, so you could change it to 1 calorie. I don't think you can change your Fitbit adjustment though. You could always open a Help desk ticket and see if there is a free way to make the change.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    You can go to goals, then calories and override the calorie suggestion to enter in your desired calorie goal. You don’t need the premium version to do this.

That’s what I’ve done since I started two years ago.

At the suggestion of my RD, I’ve consistently aimed for a flat calorie goal above the one suggested by MFP, regardless of additional exercise and that’s the number I monitor.

My suggested maintenance calories are 2170. My daily personal goal is 2300, however, I’ve begun intentionally buffering in a high cal day every week or two. I realistically average 2700 per day because otherwise I’d drop below maintenance. So 2300’ish per day with an occasional Whoopee It’s Cookies! or Mexican day.

Really, MFP is simply a tool to use however it works best for you. You have to find the system that does.

But good lord, if I didn’t eat back any exercise calories, I’d be dangerously malnourished. And I don’t think I’m more active than a lot of users here.

BTW, 58 female, SW222 CW 131.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    slimdownt wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    slimdownt wrote: »
    wn4r41777bfx.jpg

@slimdownt

Please stop posting this.
    It's not just inaccurate and irresponsible - it's verging on the stupid.

1) A lot of tools or calculations give perfectly reasonable estimates. Not all estimates are high.
    2) Highly unlikely any estimate is so inaccurate it could switch someone from a deficit to a surplus. For someone set to lose 1lb/week the estimate would have to be out by 500+ calories!

There's a whole lot of new users who understate their activity setting, select an inappropriately fast rate of loss and you are compounding that by suggesting people don't account for a perfectly valid energy need of their body.

If you don't like accounting for exercise expenditure this way at least promote a sensible alternative such as using a TDEE calculator.

I'll continue to lose weight while others gain not a problem. Have a good day.
    I'm sure I have way more experience with this than you do and have actually helped more people lose weight correctly. The info you post is inaccurate. Just want to put that out there whether you care or not.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png