Almond flour Dumplings?

Since it is getting cooler out, It's that fall comfort food weather and something I'm really craving is "Chicken and Dumplings" and I was just curious if anyone who makes homemade dumplings, has ever tried to make dumplings with "Almond Flour"? If so, did it turn out good? I have tried "Wheat flour" and it just dissolved. I keep Almond flour and no other types lol, I was hoping to make it tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks!

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/02/04/peggys-original-dumplings/

A quick search on Pinterest turned this up. No guarantees if they’ll do the trick for your cravings but it’s a thing that seems possible!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    https://buttoni.wordpress.com/2018/02/04/peggys-original-dumplings/

A quick search on Pinterest turned this up. No guarantees if they’ll do the trick for your cravings but it’s a thing that seems possible!

Thanks, after researching the ratio of things for Almond flour versus All-purpose, I think I'm just gonna wing it and see if this work's out.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Good luck! Come back and let us know what you come up with! Not for me because I’m so not a stew and dumplings girl, but I’m definitely a cooking fiend and I love to learn new things! 😂
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Since it is getting cooler out, It's that fall comfort food weather and something I'm really craving is "Chicken and Dumplings" and I was just curious if anyone who makes homemade dumplings, has ever tried to make dumplings with "Almond Flour"? If so, did it turn out good? I have tried "Wheat flour" and it just dissolved. I keep Almond flour and no other types lol, I was hoping to make it tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks!
    I would be shocked if there wasn't good* chicken and dumplings recipe available that used almond flot ur. That said, the vast majority of recipes for it call for wheat flour. All purpose flour is wheat flour. Did you use a recipe that called for all purpose flour and then do a 1:1 substitution for whole wheat flour? I could potentially see that being an issue, but I suspect the dissolving dumplings was more either a case of user error or the recipe just not being good. Here are some recipes that should be fine.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chicken-and-herb-dumplings-recipe
    https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/turkey-and-dumplings-recipe
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chicken_and_dumplings/

Unless I'm also just reading your post wrong and you're saying that you're using almond flour in place of wheat flour in recipes that call for all purpose flour. In that case google is your friend - "almond flour chicken and dumpling recipe" (without the quotes) came up with a ton of hits.

*note that I actually don't like chicken and dumplings, but that's just me.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Wait, what happened when you used the wheat flour? Was it standard white flour, or whole wheat? I'm very confused. I've made many a dumpling with all purpose or self rising white flour and I'm not sure why they would just fall apart if that's what you used. Is the goal of switching flours to troubleshoot the original recipe--which we can do without needing to change flour--or are you just wanting to try something different?

Almond flour does not work in recipes exactly like white flour. If you tried to do a 1 to 1 substitution of almond flour for white flour, I can imagine that your dumplings might fall apart, as almond flour does not have gluten (a binding agent) and has more moisture than white flour. Some people use egg white as binder in their dumplings, so that may work for you, depending on your dumpling preferences.

It depends to some extent on what you envision a dumpling to be. I imagine your substitution will be different depending on which dumpling camp you are in. There are two major chicken and dumpling philosophies: drop dumplings and rolled dumplings. I grew up in a drop dumpling family. I basically make a biscuit dough, then drop it by small spoonfuls into the simmering broth. (I am now vegetarian, so we're talking soy chicken and dumplings, but that's another story.)
  • TheFitHooker
    edited October 2019
    My bad, it was whole wheat flour, I made it as if I made my regular dumplings, they just dissolved in the pot lol.

I'm trying to do away with a lot of gluten, the older I get, the more I'm noticing I'm sensitive to gluten. Since I've eliminated most gluten out of my daily diet, I feel better and not having stomach issues nearly as often.

I believe I have figured out the ratio for the almond flour, I'm about to go make a practice run before I waste my chicken, I have a few ideas that might help it, I'll keep you guys posted.

For the record, I know how to make Chicken and dumplings, it is one thing my entire family will gather at my house for, my younger brother who likes to still pick on me, would rather me make the dumplings over anyone else. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it without all-purpose flour.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    If you're just looking for a way to minimize gluten not necessarily eliminate every speck (as I'm guessing from your attempt at switching to WW flour), and are open to something a little different, I like this recipe. It has a different texture because of the cornmeal, of course, vs. all-flour dumplings, but it has always held together fine for me as long as the soup wasn't boiling too hard, and I dropped the dough on top (so it didn't sink). I like putting herbs in the batter, too. (It's an oldie, so the corn oil thing is kind of a holdover; obvs it can be switched out for oil of choice).
    ztw9b31uss7x.jpg
  • TheFitHooker
    I had to use what I have right now, I don't have anything else right now, and the idea isn't working so I scrapped the idea for now and will just make a Chicken soup.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I fooled around once with some gluten free flours, and had the best results with a mixture of rice and chickpea flours, plus some cornmeal. I didn't make a dumpling but I did make a tam dasty kind of cornbread thing with vegetables mixed into it. The rice flour is a chewy sort of food when cooked so i will probably stay together for your stewpot of chicken and gravy.

good luck!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member
    You might try steaming your substitute-flour dumplings instead of putting them in the broth. Gluten provides a lot of the structure for a standard dumpling, and I think without it they are going to be prone to losing their cohesion.

Also, the difference in the amount of gluten from white (refined) wheat flour and whole wheat flour is pretty small, compared to the difference you're going to get going from a wheat flour to nut meal or other gluten-free flour. So if your whole wheat dumplings didn't hold up, it's not surprising your nut-meal dumplings didn't.