Do I really need exercise

Hello, I am eating healthier, but not exercising too much. Do I really need to exercise to lose weight? I don’t have much time, and I absolutely hate it.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    No, you don't need to exercise to lose weight.

It may be a helpful tool though.

Then there is the physical activity guidelines. There is well established evidence when performing at least the minimum of resistance training and cardio suggested, one would lower health risk and increase quality of life.

If you don't tend to care about preventing death or being able to live more comfortably, it may not be on your radar right now.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    Hello, I am eating healthier, but not exercising too much. Do I really need to exercise to lose weight? I don’t have much time, and I absolutely hate it.

No, plenty of people lose weight without purposeful exercise. You just need a calorie deficit.

Having said that, being more active is really good for your health. So if you don't like "exercise" maybe try to just generally be more active during the day. This thread might help with that:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

But regardless, if you hit your MFP calorie goal and you are logging accurately and consistently, you'll lose weight.
  • Nope you don’t. Just a calorie deficit. If exercise really isn’t your thing then try and get some walking in.
  • MarcyMavin
    MarcyMavin Posts: 142 Member
    No one “needs” exercise to lose. However, I WANT to exercise because my body looks so differently when I do. I look fitter , feel fitter, can do so much more activity at this weight “ exercising “ than I did at the same weight not exercising. Plus I want to be strong enough to kick someone’s butt if the need arise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

In the meantime, keep trying to find some activity you don't hate. Hula-hooping, pole dancing, active video games, yoga, or hiking. The possibilities are endless.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    There are many components to living a healthy lifestyle and having the body you want. The main three things are eating, exercising heart (cardio), exercising muscles (weight / resistance training). It is possible to lose weight by focusing on one of these areas, and absolutely crushing it, or a balance of two or all three. I find my best results, when I am happiest, strongest, fittest is when I do all three but everyone has their own goals and motivation levels, as well as threshold and desire to partake in certain forms of fitness.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    There’s a YouTube series hosted by a physician/public health researcher called Healthcare Triage. They addressed this question in one of the episodes. The short version is that exercise isn’t good for weight loss (people eat more when they exercise regularly), but it is important for overall health. The question is what is your goal - to be skinny or to be healthy?
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    As everyone else has said.. you do not need to exercise to lose weight but it does help. Maybe start with walking or biking or zumba. Maybe there is something you like that you haven't found yet. But until then, all you need is a calorie deficit.