what the hell is 2 ounces in slices of meat?

124»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    nmp1994 wrote: »
    LOL, I always think the same thing. That's why I bought a food scale. I've found that when I use 4 thin slices of Hillshire Farms meat, it equals about 2 oz.

What kind of food scale? I need to look into one....

Brand does not matter but the easiest to use are the flat digital ones, just make sure it has a tare function. It is nice to be able to put a plate or bowl on it and log the weights as you put your food on the plate rather than using separate bowls to weigh each thing. Mine goes up to 10 kg (22 lb) so I can even put a cooking pot on it and weigh ingredients as I put them in the pot.

Mine is a different brand but it looks like this ($11 at Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/SimpleTaste-Digital-Kitchen-Multifunction-Tempered/dp/B01MFG6VP9/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1500953047&sr=8-5&keywords=10kg+food+scale :
    51-gj-SZPiL._SL1200_.jpg
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I hope after 6 years she's worked it out :D

On the other hand, we can't say "buy a food scale" often enough on here.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2017
    Boar's Head nutritional information is available online: https://boarshead.com/nutrition/nutrition-guide

• RCGibby45
    RCGibby45 Posts: 12 Member
    I started by estimating my food using visual guidelines like a 1/2 cup of cooked pasta is about the size of a tennis ball or 1 1/2 oz cheese is about the size of two 9-volt batteries. What I have come to realize is that was a good place for me to start because it really helped me with my portion control. However, I have since started weighing my food and it has made a huge difference for me. The fact that you are asking the question shows you are thinking about what you are eating. I would recommend like the other posts getting a scale. They are pretty reasonable at Walmart. I bought a digital one for $15.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Although I know this is a necro thread, the title made me laugh because it's just like asking, "how many inches is my piece of string?" while nobody can see it. Plus, enough people have replied wondering the same thing that I feel justified in answering for anyone else who comes across this thread.

I've bought deli meat of the same brand and type from multiple delis across multiple chains, and depending on who's cutting it, it always weighs something different. Sometimes a slice weighs 15 grams, and sometimes it weighs 35 grams. The slicing machine in the deli can be adjusted for multiple slice thicknesses, as I've asked for them to slice my meat thinly and have seen them adjust the machine. Multiple thicknesses, of course, means multiple weights. The only way to get a real answer to how many slices of meat is 2 ounces (which many people have mentioned) is to weigh them on a kitchen scale. Even calculating the weight of the slices using the total package weight doesn't work too well (although it's fine in a pinch), because the weight includes the weight of the packaging as well as the meat.
  • njones607
    njones607 Posts: 1 Member
    Y'all oh my goodness gracious, I'm dealing with a similar problem.
    I just bought Hillshire Farms Ultra thin sliced oven roasted turkey, if I only had 2 slices is that considered 2oz? & no I do not have access to a scale.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    njones607 wrote: »
    I just bought Hillshire Farms Ultra thin sliced oven roasted turkey, if I only had 2 slices is that considered 2oz? & no I do not have access to a scale.

A food scale is the single most important item to have in the kitchen, besides food. They are cheap too.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Use a food scale. Weigh everything you eat. Period.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member

Why not?

They are cheap and readily available everywhere

Nobody can really tell how much your 2 slices weighed.
    You could possibly work it out from the packet - eg if there are 10 about equal size slices and the total net amount is 100g, each slice would be 10 g.

But you will have constant problem of not knowing how much all sorts of foods weigh if you cannot weigh them.

Get a kitchen scale.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,884 Member

Why not?

They are cheap and readily available everywhere

Nobody can really tell how much your 2 slices weighed.
    You could possibly work it out from the packet - eg if there are 10 about equal size slices and the total net amount is 100g, each slice would be 10 g.

But you will have constant problem of not knowing how much all sorts of foods weigh if you cannot weigh them.

Get a kitchen scale.

Yes, love the lack of guesswork since getting a food scale. Also, with measuring cups I was always wondering how tightly to pack them, and how much the shape of the food effected accuracy. No longer an issue, plus I don't have to wash them!
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Sarahr73 wrote: »
    These are visuals to use in determing an ounce, which is about 25 grams:

it's same as a tablespoon of flour

Or two biros

a human eyeball (ha)

a thumb of an adult!!

5 grapes

A big bite of a cake

There is too much room for variation in the eyeball approach to weighing food.
    Get a scale and don't guess.