How exercise is not enough AKA starting back on calorie counting AKA stress eating sucks

I run more than you. I run 100km a week. If I take the kms the elliptical says I do into account, it’s 140km. I run to listen to uni lectures, I run to get away from kids, I run to listen to podcasts, I run to get out in nature, I run to manage my anxiety disorders without resorting to medication. I run a lot.
AND YET over the course of winter, studying full time while trying to keep the house and family going ok and holding myself to an over-achiever’s standards for grades and running any chance I got, I put on weight. I just didn’t have any leftover willpower to pay attention to it but I could sense the creep. I was eating too much, I was drinking too much, I wasn’t logging. The day after my last assignment for the year was handed in I hopped on the scale and saw the truth. I’ve hit 60kg again, something I swore I wouldn’t do.
So here I am again. I’ve done it before I’ll do it again.
For anyone who ever asks “I’m exercising heaps why aren’t I losing weight?!?” Let this be a lesson: if it can happen to an ultra-marathoner, it can happen to you! (Unless you’re like a triathaloner or something, in which case wtf you eating?!?)

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    100-140km a week. That's pretty much running a half marathon every day of the week no rest or days off??

I can't imagine doing 100-140 of anything a week!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Yep, you run a lot! 🏆🏃🏻‍♀️

I can relate in a miniscule way. I went to the gym every day (except 1 day ) for 22 months. Gained 4 pounds during those months. It made me ravenous. Lesson learned. Eat less calories than your body burns for weight loss, more calories than your body burns for weight gain & eat the same amount of calories as your body burns to maintain.