Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Emotional Support Dog at the Gym

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Also horses live significantly longer than dogs.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Dogs are gross but that little horsey or pony is so cute, I prefer that all day.
  • weatherwoman94
    weatherwoman94 Posts: 14 Member
    I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as they're well trained
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    Azdak wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I actually don't believe in service dogs from an ethical standpoint. I just don't think any sentient being should be conscripted to a lifetime of 24/7 servitude.

What I coincidence @33gail33. I was just chatting on another forum about the incredible strides my niece has taken since her mom and dad were able to acquire a service dog for her. She is autistic, and since having the dog she has made incredible progress in being able to interact with family and friends as well as simple daily functions.

Oh, she has also just recently started eating again, the animal is helping her overcome the food rejection common with some autistic folks.

The dog? She's a yellow lab mix. 100% part of the family, loved and treated like gold by everyone, and anyone who knows anything at all about dogs could clearly see the joy she has in going through her routine, hanging tight by my niece and just loving that girl.

It's very much a partnership. So, your post ...well...there is nothing even worth carrying on a conversation about, but it did warrant a reply.

The show Cat From Hell now has a Cat from Heaven segment and one featured a cat who had similarly positive effects on an autistic child. There was also one about a cat who goes to a local library and helps kids who have trouble reading feel more comfortable.

I mean, if we are still on the dogs as employees analogy, I'm going to concede that they are generally going to be better employee types than cats, but I had to plug a couple of cats too!

;-)

There's everything right with a good cat :) I admit it's difficult to imagine a cat as a service animal/companion, but suffice to say I believe a fair number of humans sorely underestimate the benefit and value our 4 legged friends can add to a life. :)

We adopted a cat from our neighbours a few years ago before they moved. We already had two other cats at the time.

My daughter struggles with clinical depression and anxiety, as well as some physical issues. From day one, Simon latched onto her as his 'person.' He just knows when she's not having a good day and won't leave her side at those times. There have been lots of times when I know she's having a particularly rough time simply by watching him.

He has the gift of always being able to calm her when she's anxious, and make her smile when her depression flares. He's her silent, non-judgemental therapy companion, and worth a million bucks to us all. <3

A good companion tends to be amazing that way. :) It blows my mind sometimes that some folks can't see a family dog or cat as family. They are, very much so.

I know this won't be a popular opinion....I'm sorry in advance for those I'll offend.

I have absolutely no problem with you feeling that way about your dog. I do have a problem if you expect everyone else to feel the same way about your pet. Believe it or not, there are people that do not like dogs, are afraid of dogs, or just do not want to be around them.

I don't believe they should have all the "rights" of a human member of your family, and that means respecting the rules of public places. To be clear, I'm not saying that you personally do this, but there seems to be a huge uptick in people bringing their dogs to stores, restaurants, etc. and expecting that this is no problem for everyone. I also see more and more people ignoring leash laws in public parks. It's really an issue of respect for your fellow humans.

You're not alone.

I don't mind dogs. Particularly well mannered dogs. But I DO mind dogs that come and jump on me and slobber on me and all that without my inviting them to do it.

My brother had a dog. It was as poorly behaved as his children. I have no patience for either. The fault lay 100% in the parenting on that front because a bit of a trend there if the kids AND the dog are all unfit for being out and about...

If they weren't my family I probably would not have anything to do with them. But... family, so I love them, but I don't necessarily LIKE them.... if that makes any sense.

Cats on the other hand can jump on me all they like. But they don't because cats LOL!!!!

As you can see from my avatar, I am a dog person. He is an important part of our family and our lives. We love him to death and like to take him with us when we can.

However, he is still a dog, not a human. The basic rules of etiquette still apply. My love for my dog and my desire to indulge him and make him happy extends to the end of the leash--and sometimes not even that far.

When we are out walking and we approach someone else--especially if they are running or cycling--I tighten up the leash and put myself in between him and the other person. He usually remains calm, but you never know what gesture, vocal tone, or even facial expression from the other person will be interpreted as an invitation for him to run to the other person or even jump up to greet them. It's friendly in nature, but they don't necessarily know that. They shouldn't have to flinch, or wonder what is going to happen next. And many people are afraid of dogs.

The same applies at home as well when we have guests. Goldens tend to be enthusiastic greeters of new people. And they shed. A lot of people like that, others don't. So, again, he is kept under control, or on a leash until he calms down and approaches them in a more polite manner. In extreme cases, he goes into the basement.

Again, just common courtesy.

As a runner who isn't that keen on (maybe even afraid of) strange dogs, can I say thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    I live in a rural area, run a lot of footpaths and the amount of people that don't even call their dog to heel astounds me. At least 75% of dog owners round here think it's fine to allow their dog to run up to me, jump at me etc. The other day one stood in the middle of the path playing on his phone while the leashed dog tried to jump at me when I went past, there was plenty of space for him to move to one side and hold dog on side nearer the hedge so I could get past without needing to walk, but he didn't even attempt it.

And to clarify if a dog is off the lead or doesn't appear to be under 100% control then I will always walk past, nervously at times

THIS X 100 MILLION THOUSAND!!!!
  • So my opinion, may be blunt and.. "triggering" but I feel if you can get a certificate online without an actual medical reason(i,e doctor recommended and dog that was specifically trained) then they have no business having a "support" animal. I actually see people online "oh i need an apartment but it wont let me have dogs" and people SUGGeSTING to register their dogs online.. its ridiculous.
  • aokoye
    So my opinion, may be blunt and.. "triggering" but I feel if you can get a certificate online without an actual medical reason(i,e doctor recommended and dog that was specifically trained) then they have no business having a "support" animal. I actually see people online "oh i need an apartment but it wont let me have dogs" and people SUGGeSTING to register their dogs online.. its ridiculous.
    Speaking in relation to the United States:
    Emotional support animals and service animals are two different classes of animal and those differences include differing requirements with regards to what they are or aren't trained to do. Emotional support animals do have a status that is different than your average pet with regards to housing and domestic flights. There is no governmental registry for service animals and I'm pretty sure there isn't for ESAs either.

I'm not in any way triggered by any of this. I'm just tired of misinformation that could easily be avoided by searching web pages published by the US government.
  • aokoye
    aokoye wrote: »
    So my opinion, may be blunt and.. "triggering" but I feel if you can get a certificate online without an actual medical reason(i,e doctor recommended and dog that was specifically trained) then they have no business having a "support" animal. I actually see people online "oh i need an apartment but it wont let me have dogs" and people SUGGeSTING to register their dogs online.. its ridiculous.
    Emotional support animals and service animals are two different classes of animal and those differences include differing requirements with regards to what they are or aren't trained to do. Emotional support animals do have a status that is different than your average pet with regards to housing and domestic flights. There is no governmental registry for service animals and I'm pretty sure there isn't for ESAs either.

I'm not in any way triggered by any of this. I'm just tired of misinformation that could easily be avoided by searching web pages published by the US government.

:lol:

Good luck getting people to actually use the Google as it's intended.

Misinformation?

:lol:

Have you read the forums??

I have a whole lot of thoughts about "Service" animals that are actually just pets that people want to bring with them to the zoo, restaurants, grocery and other retail stores etc.

Give me the Good Old Days when dogs were prohibited by a sign at the door.

I love dogs as long as they're on a leash and under control. It's stupid humans who are the problem. If the dogs are controlled, no problem. People seem to think everyone should accommodate them at all times.

Oh trust me, I've been on the internet for long enough to know that people won't actually do the work. It's sadly not unique to MFP.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    aokoye wrote: »

I wanted to share some thoughts, since I have recently become invested in this subject, due to my stepmother-in-law having dementia and needing an emotional support dog. In her case, she becomes confused and forgets where she is and what’s she’s doing even when other people are with her, and she becomes easily emotional and impatient. Because she can’t remember how long she’s been waiting, waiting even a short time seems like forever to her. She feels something is wrong but admitting it upsets her. She uses the dog to project her emotions: “(Dog’s name) is scared by that loud noise, aren’t you, baby,” lets us know that she is frightened by the noise of the busboy clearing tables, so someone can explain, “That man is clearing the dishes, it’s okay, he’ll be done in a minute.” Then she calms down. Imagine it like having a giant two year old - she gets distracted and forgets to eat while in the middle of eating, she’s basically good natured most of the time, but she rarely understands what’s going on. The dog makes a huge difference. He’s completely untrained in anything having to do with being a service animal, he just naturally understood that something was wrong with his person and he needed to take care of her. When she starts to wander off in a random direction, he plants his little feet and looks at a responsible adult for permission. He puts up with her fussing with him with endless patience. No doubt soon enough will come a time when she is not able to go out in public at all, but having this dog allowed my stepfather to take a trip to see us with her in tow, go out and visit places, and not have any incidents or breakdowns. In one instance my father-in-law took the dog outside to potty because it was cold and raining, leaving her alone with me, and in the few minutes the dog was gone she came completely unraveled and I was praying for them to return because I didn’t know what I was going to do short of restraining her. In this case, the emotional support designation was not just baloney, there was a real need that the dog was fulfilling.

So, there is indeed a difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal. The difference can be summed up simply - if the ANIMAL has to be trained and certified, it’s a service animal. In the case of an emotional support animal, the animal can be anything, with no particular training, but the PERSON needs a current note from a doctor explaining the need. Restaurants and so forth are not required to allow emotional support animals as they are service animals, but in practice most don’t know the difference, and we were able to explain the problem and get in. Mostly, in our city the health department won’t allow dogs in a restaurant so the owners were worried about the health department, and they felt they would be able to justify the dog’s presence as a service animal.

In this case, the dog was a beautifully groomed and well behaved little dog whose only barking was ever one little woof when his person would try to do something and the rest of us needed to be alerted. Which is good, because the law is that even full fledged trained service animals can be ejected if not housebroken, or disruptive. There is no legal requirement for a business to put up with badly behaved, untrained animals, regardless of the animal’s designation as a service or support animal.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    I can bet its not a support dog at all.
    Bet its a "if I leave him at home he will tear every square inch of it apart kind of dog".
    If you need a support dog at the gym.....exercise at home.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    on a personal side, i have anxiety and depression. one of my dogs was trained to distract me when i start to spiral. she wasn't necessarily trained as an emotional support animal-as it wasn't a thing when i got her but she has helped me be able to leave the house, helped me avoid the depths that are nearly impossible to get out of.
    without out her, i really wouldn't be living. i would be a prisoner in my own home.
    she is well trained. she does not go where dogs are not welcome.
    i do not claim she is an emotional support animal as i do not need that sort of help right now, but if things go downhill again, i would do what i need to do to have her and my other dog as an ESA.
  • juniper148
    juniper148 Posts: 2 Member
    edited December 2019
    It DEFINITELY matters whether this is an emotional support animal or a service dog. They are not the same and have different privileges. An emotional support animal does NOT have rights in a store where animals are generally not allowed. A service dog does.

A service dog's handler does NOT need to prove anything or provide anyone with certification nor does it need to wear a vest.

You are allowed to ask 2 questions legally. "Is this a service dog?" and if so "What tasks does the dog provide for you?"

Given the handler's and dog's behavior I'm betting it was an emotional support animal. Because an emotional support animal does not have rights in public it does not need to have same training. It can be a yappy chihuahua no problem because the only advantage is that landlords cannot discriminate against it... it doesn't have rights in say, a library. The one exception is an airline cabin.

I would definitely write the manager an email focusing on the safety (drinking fountain, unleashed) rather than the dog's existence. You'll likely have to educate them on service dogs vs emotional support animals.