Confidence to start running in public?

Did anyone else feel worried or embarrassed to start running in public?

I have recently bought some nice fitness clothes to go running in but it's just a case of starting. I would love to start but don't feel very confident!

I'm worried about being stared at or wolf-whistled etc? I live in central London and the other day some guy shouted: "Nice *kitten*" at me when I was in jeans and just walking from the train station! :(

Replies

• datzun
    datzun Posts: 198
    I didn't worry about it. Screw what others think. I did it for myself. I say do it and enjoy every minute of it! ;D
  • arw060310
    arw060310 Posts: 256 Member
    i am terrified to start running in public again! Mostly because I'll end up huffing and puffing and looking silly. And I always get bright red/purple in the face LOL. But I found a nice quiet track by my house that not a whole lot of people go to. So I might try there. Is there a park or a nice quiet place you can go to?
  • Maree_
    Maree_ Posts: 65
    Listen to music then you can't hear anyone!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Yes! I started back running this past January. I literally hid ( like an osterich) behind my sunglasses..whether I needed them that day or not! But as time went on, I decided screw 'em! I was lapping them while they sat there and watched me go! Good luck with your running!

Oh..being told you have a nice *kitten* isn't a bad thing! :wink:
  • tishaloses
    tishaloses Posts: 234 Member
    I was nervous!! I joined a group doing c25k and I am one of biggest and slowest. But I realized that I am doing this for me not them. So I shouldn't worry what other are thinking!! I don't know if I could run and get "cat calls"!!!
  • rebeccask
    rebeccask Posts: 170
    I'm nervous to start running in public again too! Are there any trails you could run on or how about a park?
  • timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    I didn't worry about it. Screw what others think. I did it for myself. I say do it and enjoy every minute of it! ;D

This guy couldn't be more right, you're doing this for yourself, no one else.

Saying that I've started to run around a giant stadium car park in the dark when no one else is around! :D
  • I live in upper Manhattan, whose men are infamous for ridiculous catcalls. But I love to run, I love to run outside, and no one's gonna stop me from that. My best advice is to simply ignore them. I play totally deaf, and if there's no reaction, it's no fun for them, so they stop. Besides that, you can also find a park to run in/run to. There are usually a lot of other people in the park, who are all a) trying to get in shape just like you and b) are too concerned with their workouts to bother you.

And while it is annoying, more often than not, it's a compliment, so worst things can happen. = )
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    I used to feel the same way. Eventually you're just stalling yourself. Listen to music - loud. Ignore everyone else (except cars). Its YOU time, not anyone else's time. The people who are actually important will be waiting for you when you get back home.
  • MrsRadder
    MrsRadder Posts: 207 Member
    I worry to because I have a very public job. I run on a trail not to far from my house. It's better and safer than on the street. Hard to admit but I wont run on a treadmill at the gym if someone is directly behind me.. :( Afraid my butt moves too much lol
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member
    They shouted "nice *kitten*", that's good isn't it?

Seriously, just do it. No one else will think anything other than, there goes another runner.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    I try to get my runs in extra early, partially because I do not want to deal with other people as I am working on my run. Sometimes though you just have to suck it up, put on your headphones and do what you know is best for you! Keep your head up!
  • mimaduck83
    mimaduck83 Posts: 175 Member
    pah...screw them! As the phrase goes (and this is becoming my mantra) you are lapping anyone who is still on the couch. Take pride in the fact you are making your body and your life better, healthier and stronger.

I still have a huge *kitten* and I care not a jot what the people of Harrogate think of me...and no one has ever whistled at me and said I had a nice *kitten*! Run with pride!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member

I have recently bought some nice fitness clothes to go running in but it's just a case of starting. I would love to start but don't feel very confident!

I'm worried about being stared at or wolf-whistled etc? I live in central London and the other day some guy shouted: "Nice *kitten*" at me when I was in jeans and just walking from the train station! :(

Eh. People honk their horns and yell stuff at me all the time when I'm out running. I don't let it bother me. Why should it? You're never going to see them again.

I just find it amusing because I have my hair in a bun under a handkerchief to soak up the massive amounts of sweat, my face is red and, well, I've seen PICTURES of me running and it ain't pretty. If that's what turns some people on, more power to 'em!

But that kind of thing doesn't happen every time I run. And if you're in a park or on a trail, it's going to happen even less. There are so many people out there running, there's nothing to feel weird about.

Just lace up those tennies and go!
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Does you Uni have a running club? That would be a good place to start as there would be a safety in numbers mentality.

As for the comments, whilst you shouldn't have to put up with them treat it as a NSV, try and take the positive out of it .
  • I started running about 7 years ago and I remember the leap it took to get off the treadmill and get outdoors. I thought people would point and stare, but really - nobody cares. There's random honks and woohoos, but they're very few and far between. Start with short runs to build confidence. Pretty soon you'll be out there in your worst running duds, not matching, not caring, because it just feels so good to be running outdoors!!
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Pssh you should see how ridiculous I look when I run. I have a sports "fanny pack" so-to-speak which has 2 water bottles on it. So I look really silly, but if it's nice out, and I want a nice run outside.. I just turn the music up a little louder. People that cat call or stare or are rude are probably just internally jealous they don't have the same motivation you do.

Go run! :)
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member

I almost laughed at this, but you're serious. Nobody is paying attention to you unless you're bleeding, passed out, or dead, and then they just want to move you off the track, so they can continue to run.
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    I dunno, but I'd take a wolf-whistle or "nice *kitten*" as a compliment! You're running and looking good while doing so, what's so bad about that?

If it's a matter of feeling safe, try running with a friend or group of friends, or make sure you have your mobile phone tucked in a pocket or somewhere on your person.

If you can afford it, perhaps invest in a membership at a gym or running at a nearby track if it's allowed? (Not familiar with London's amenities, so pardon my ignorance.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    My phobia about running outside was more of a safety issue... the fear of jumping off a curb and having my ankle give out three miles from home. But I realized that while I am a walking example of Murphy's Law, I'm also far more likely to hurt myself at home doing something "safe." Like the time I nearly broke my foot making the bed, or when I threw out my back cleaning up cat vomit. So I just take my phone with me, and *knock on wood* haven't had any problems at all.

I haven't had any cat calls while running, but I do get "Why don't you get a REAL dog?" all the time when walking my Pekingese. He barks, he wags his tail, he eats dog food... I'm pretty sure he's a real dog. A very short, funny looking one, but very real.