For the love of Produce...

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,128 Member
    Roasted red and golden beets with wild chanterelle & lobster mushroom, onion, garlic, and smoked cayenne. It looked nice tossed with olive oil, pepper, and salt.

03j31kb0qwp0.jpg

Served with long grain brown rice and pan-seared sesame-chile marinated tempeh.

mauoyi6d3rab.jpg

Yeah, it's brownish. But the beets are green at heart, and the mushrooms are delicious.
  • Lattesweet
    Lattesweet Posts: 236 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    2icmsgl4ew9a.jpeg
    This is my first time ever cooking butternut squash

Next time after cutting it and before roasting scoop out those seeds and the stringy bits. If you want to roast the seeds, pick them from that mess and roast separately. Perfect for salad topping

Great idea! This time I was kinda like “ I have a squash sitting that needs to be cooked right away” it tasted really good though!
  • mtaratoot
    So, uh... that plate in the picture earlier? That was two servings of rice and two servings of tempeh, but only one serving of roasted roots with fungal medicine. Sorry, you can't have the leftovers because I knew where I left the other half of the rice & tempeh and all three other servings of the beets. I rescued them from their loneliness and reunited them with their kin in my belly.

Since the oven was hot, and since the seeds from that big ol' Hubbard were dry, I tossed them with spices and roasted them up for dessert.

2753hexrhst7.jpg

Not only more brown stuff, but roasted on brown unbleached parchment paper and served in a brown bowl. Still met calorie goal even with that feast. I can get down with that kind of brown.
  • mtaratoot
    Thank you for helping me be excited about winter. I’m a sunshine lush, have a hard time with it getting darker. Winter produce cheers me up!

I'm up near the 45th parallel, and winter does get long and dark. And wet. I love the fall, but it's a double-edged sword. February and March are the hardest, so I'm looking forward to doing something I have never done -- go somewhere warm and sunny! Between now and then, there will be lots of roasted roots.
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member

acpgee wrote: »
    Went to the great Turkish green grocer. Globe artichokes, heritage tomatoes, unripe persimmon, strawberries.
    98eq7kege55z.jpeg

Will you let the persimmon ripen or do you use it ‘al denote’ stage?
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,538 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Went to the great Turkish green grocer. Globe artichokes, heritage tomatoes, unripe persimmon, strawberries.
    98eq7kege55z.jpeg

Those artichokes look amazing. I grew up on persimmon cookies and persimmon bread!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Persimmons do ripen on the counter top. I find under ripe persimmon inedible. There is an astringency that makes your mouth feel like cotton wool.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I have none pictures from today because I suck, but apart from the stack of Rich Tea and half a sleeve of Hobnobs I had quite a virtuous food day. Cottage cheese with raw zucchini and an heirloom tomato with a sprinkle of sumac for breakfast, lunch I heated up leftover cauli/potato mash and did a quick saute of Italian kale, spinach, red onion and already prepped quinoa with some fresh lemon and garlic and some "butter" on top. Dinner I made my first ever stuffed bell peppers with Morningstar grounds and kidney beans, oregano, onion, garlic, tomato paste, corn and some stock. Melted some cheese on at the end. Point being, I was veggie for a fun challenge in August and haven't really gone back. I should have eaten my boiled egg (mindful that this and quinoa are probably the only complete proteins I am getting) and hummus with crackers as a snack but those biscuits came in the mail the other day and that's how that goes.

I encourage everyone to try that mushroom tibs dish or at least the spice mix on whatever you fancy. I bet it would go great on lamb.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My next-door neighbor knocked on my door tonight to give me this nice present.

51yn6ydxv05a.jpg

I have a couple parsnips I need to use tomorrow, not fresh from next door though. I have it written down to noodle them and make up some kind of pesto and probably Quorn pieces and broccolini.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,243 Member
    Okay... what do parsnips taste like? I have always been a bit hesitant to try them but I am also wanting to branch out more. How do you prepare them?
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Okay... what do parsnips taste like? I have always been a bit hesitant to try them but I am also wanting to branch out more. How do you prepare them?

They are quite sweet, can't really think what to compare them to.

My particular preference would be to roast them, or turn them into lovely soup.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Athijade wrote: »

Mild flavor, slightly sweet (moreso if they've been through a frost). I like them roasted, pretty plain, maybe just olive oil and salt/pepper, but they're also good in soups, stews, pasties.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Produce soup!! 🤓

So I posted a while back about sacrificing avocados to the gremlins time after time because I buy too many and let them go bad!

So I was determined to not let any go to waste this time... I tried my hand at 🥦🥑Broccoli -avocado soup! I’m not sure it photographs well lol

But it came out super tasty!! Even the non veggie lovers liked it! I got to use up my:
    Broccoli
    Avocado
    Garlic
    Onion

So maybe it’s leftovers produce soup? ☺️

I added a bit of Aleppo pepper, sea salt, veg broth and some black sesame seeds and olive oil —- pretty good!! (And a pinch of vindaloo masala!)

Now I wonder what other kind of leftovers/produce soup I can make hmmm 🤔

pcvgi217kaie.jpeg
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,594 Member
    Steamed globe artichoke with hollandaise again tonight as a starter. Will have this a couple more times before the season ends.
    3lccvup9akbp.jpeg

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Been loving mushrooms lately... sauteed in some truffle butter.
  • mtaratoot
    Been loving mushrooms lately... sauteed in some truffle butter.

A little tip from the guy who literally wrote the book on truffles (the North American Truffling Society is based here): Don't COOK with truffle butter; use it after the cooking is done to add the flavor. When he's given me truffles in the past, he's always told me to put them in a plastic container with a barely-unwrapped stick of butter for a couple days. You can do the same with a bowl of olive oil on a plate with truffles on the plate and a bigger bowl covering the whole thing. The essence of the truffles get infused in the butter/oil, and you can use that to add the flavor to your food. After this process, you can still take the truffles and shave them onto your food, too.

That reminds me: I still have some lobster mushrooms I need to clean and cook. Mmmm. I am planning to seek some more wild mushrooms tomorrow on my way home from the aquarium.