Let's talk about deadlifts

Deadlifts. The king of all lifts. All discussion welcome - your personal PRs, anyone Eddie Halls WR 500kilos that nearly killed him...whatever you want.

Replies

• wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Very uncomfortable to perform heavy
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Not very friendly to those of us with long femurs.

I recently eyeballed a American raw deadlift record in the USAPL I think is obtainable in about a year if training goes as planned.

Also long femurs still suck.
  • RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited October 2019
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I recently eyeballed a American raw deadlift record in the USAPL I think is obtainable in about a year if training goes as planned.

Nice. Whats the record? And What weight class would the record be in?

I'm still a baby deadlifter comparatively, best PR is 527 and I hit 500 for 2 for the first time yesterday. I'm planning on competing in the local strongman circuit at 100kg class...I've got 6lbs left to cut (from a fasted, dehydrated state...more like 11-15lbs from my walking around weight)
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,215 Member

I'm still a baby deadlifter comparatively, best PR is 527 and I hit 500 for 2 for the first time yesterday. I'm planning on competing in the local strongman circuit at 100kg class...I've got 6lbs left to cut (from a fasted, dehydrated state...more like 11-15lbs from my walking around weight)

A 527 "baby deadlifter", lol.

At 6'1" ~175lbs I've hit 400lbs once back in December, shortly thereafter had our first kid so my consistency and recovery have been spotty; only was able to hit 385 in May the last time I maxed out.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2019
    But the real question...conventional or sumo? :p
  • Conventional, always. Sumo isn't allowed in strongman...not that I ever pulled sumo before I set my eyes on that stuff anyway.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

I'm not that good of a deadlifter because I'm probably the tallest in the USA for my weight class and I have to change my style often to accomidate the joint disease, but I think it can be had.

I would have to pull 297.5/655.7lb
    105 weight class
    Masters 2A(age 50-54)

If record stays the same as current, I would be credited with the younger Master 1B record as well.

I probably could do it in less than 9 months if I didn't do a full meet...but I have no interest in dead lift only meets.

• quiksylver296
    Conventional, always. Sumo isn't allowed in strongman...not that I ever pulled sumo before I set my eyes on that stuff anyway.

Strongman requires conventional only? I didn't realize. Some strongman competitors at my gym have been trying to get me to cross over, but if I can't pull sumo, forget it! :laugh:
  • Whatever works. I'm a pretty naturally built deadlifter because I have ape arms. Terrible for bench though.
  • quiksylver296
    Whatever works. I'm a pretty naturally built deadlifter because I have ape arms. Terrible for bench though.

I tease my husband that his T-rex arms are perfect for bench. LOL
  • @quiksylver296

For me the appeal of strongman/strongwoman over PL is all the cool stuff...logs, tossing kegs, stones, yokes and farmers, flipping tires that are near 800lbs...it's just fun. Also I'm a terrible bencher and there is no bench in strongman so that's awesome.
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited October 2019
    I love the dead lift.

I hate the dead lift.

I love the dead lift.

I hate the dead lift.

Man do I love the benefits of the dead lift.

I hate failing a dead lift rep.

I started lifting for the first time at 54. I'm 5'11, 200-205 lbs. One of my main goals when I started (that I doubted I would ever achieve) was 135/225/315/405 for OHP/Bench/Squat/Deadlift. That's 1plate/2plates/3plates/4plates per side for non-lifting reader.

This past spring I reached that. Dead lift was last and most gratifying. Current maxes (at RPE 8 - or 2 reps in the tank) are: 175/255/335/405. Way beyond what I thought was possible for an older tub of goo. Not really a tub of goo anymore, thanks to strength training.

Back in the gym for past month after 3 months out due to a car wreck injury. Gonna get those numbers back in a few months....
  • I love the dead lift.

I hate the dead lift.

I love the dead lift.

I hate the dead lift.

Man do I love the benefits of the dead lift.

I hate failing a dead lift rep.

I started lifting for the first time at 54. I'm 5'11, 200-205 lbs. One of my main goals when I started (that I doubted I would ever achieve) was 135/225/315/405 for OHP/Bench/Squat/Deadlift. That's 1plate/2plates/3plates/4plates per side for non-lifting reader.

This past spring I reached that. Dead lift was last and most gratifying. Current maxes (at RPE 8 - or 2 reps in the tank) are: 175/255/335/405. Way beyond what I thought was possible for an older tub of goo. Not really a tub of goo anymore, thanks to strength training.

Back in the gym for past month after 3 months out due to a car wreck injury. Gonna get those numbers back in a few months....

Non-lifters do not understand the complete bruise to the ego and bad mood that comes with failure of a deadlift PR.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Whatever works. I'm a pretty naturally built deadlifter because I have ape arms. Terrible for bench though.

Same here. Short stubby legs with age arms.
  • steveko89 wrote: »

A 527 "baby deadlifter", lol.

At 6'1" ~175lbs I've hit 400lbs once back in December, shortly thereafter had our first kid so my consistency and recovery have been spotty; only was able to hit 385 in May the last time I maxed out.

Lol I train in a strongman/powerlifting gym that has dudes doing 630+ for reps. It's checked my ego a lot and compared to them I'm a baby. I MIGHT be in the 50th percentile on strength at my gym. Maybe.

• AhmedYus
    AhmedYus Posts: 2 Member
    I have started doing deadlifts one month ago 2 time per week and I feel the improvement in my body
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm not that good of a deadlifter...

I would have to pull 297.5/655.7lb
    All modesty aside if you’re pulling anywhere close to that number you’re a darn good and strong deadlifter...

• SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Just starting out and I love, love, love using the trap/hex bar.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    Not a fan. I got to 455lbs and quit. My body thanks me tremendously for quitting while ahead.