80 calorie comparison pic

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited October 2019
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I’d choose the popcorn. I love popcorn!

I just read that a guy ate a Big Mac every day for a month and lost 7 pounds. Just last month. He was eating 1500 calories a day, not just eating Big Macs
    5’4” he was posting on Instagram. Showing there are no bad foods. I think he was a personal trainer, or something like that.

What the guy proved was that if one eats fewer calories then you burn you lose weight, nothing more. Ask any any Registered Dietitian if a 1500 calorie a day diet that includes a Big Mac every day is sustainable for health.

Instagram posts giving nutrition or exercise advice from someone who people think "was a personal trainer or something like that", IMO is not a good idea.

Big Mac, per McD web site:

540 Calories
    28 grams Total Fat
    46 grams Carbs
    25 grams Protein

If a person really wanted to, they could fit one in every day, and get overall decent (healthy) nutrition on 1500 calories, IMO.

Not me, though: I'm vegetarian. ;)

I'm thinking a registed dierition would not agree with your conclusion long term IMO.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Eating a Big Mac a day gives you plenty of room for higher nutrition foods. Is it the greatest thing to eat daily probably not...but It’s not the worst.

Damn now I want a Big Mac. I’m not sure I even like them, it’s been probably 20 years since I had one. I think I need to get out of this thread since I managed to have chips for lunch based on the power of suggestion here 😀

Your my hero! Lol
  • psychod787
    mmapags wrote: »

I just read that a guy ate a Big Mac every day for a month and lost 7 pounds. Just last month. He was eating 1500 calories a day, not just eating Big Macs
    5’4” he was posting on Instagram. Showing there are no bad foods. I think he was a personal trainer, or something like that.

What the guy proved was that if one eats fewer calories then you burn you lose weight, nothing more. Ask any any Registered Dietitian if a 1500 calorie a day diet that includes a Big Mac every day is sustainable for health.

Instagram posts giving nutrition or exercise advice from someone who people think "was a personal trainer or something like that", IMO is not a good idea.

540 Calories
    28 grams Total Fat
    46 grams Carbs
    25 grams Protein

If a person really wanted to, they could fit one in every day, and get overall decent (healthy) nutrition on 1500 calories, IMO.

I'm thinking a registed dierition would not agree with your conclusion long term IMO.

I'm thinking you have no idea what a registered dietitian would think on this topic.

You might want to go back and carefully read my comments. I said I doubted a dietitian would think a Big Mac daily was healthy long term, especially on a 1500 calorie a day diet. Heck the trainer mentioned above that ate a Big Mac daily for a month and lost weight said the following:

"I don't want anybody doing this challenge," he said. "I do not think that this challenge is healthy. I don't think it's smart but sometimes you have to do something extreme in order to make a simple point."

Syatt merely wanted to hammer that point home.

"The whole point of it was to show people that you can include your favorite foods into your diet in moderation and not only not lose progress, but actually continue to make progress, because so many people worry about ruining their entire diet if they go off track for one meal, whatever it is."

I would agree with the trainer, and I believe most dietitians would say that a Big Mac is an "occasional" food and not an everyday food.

If you can cite something where an actual nutrition professional says a Big Mac a day is fine long term for one's health, please post as I would be interested in reading it.

You kind of remind me of a guy on here @OldAssDude
  • Theoldguy1
    psychod787 wrote: »

540 Calories
    28 grams Total Fat
    46 grams Carbs
    25 grams Protein

I'm thinking you have no idea what a registered dietitian would think on this topic.

You might want to go back and carefully read my comments. I said I doubted a dietitian would think a Big Mac daily was healthy long term, especially on a 1500 calorie a day diet. Heck the trainer mentioned above that ate a Big Mac daily for a month and lost weight said the following:

"I don't want anybody doing this challenge," he said. "I do not think that this challenge is healthy. I don't think it's smart but sometimes you have to do something extreme in order to make a simple point."

"The whole point of it was to show people that you can include your favorite foods into your diet in moderation and not only not lose progress, but actually continue to make progress, because so many people worry about ruining their entire diet if they go off track for one meal, whatever it is."

I would agree with the trainer, and I believe most dietitians would say that a Big Mac is an "occasional" food and not an everyday food.

If you can cite something where an actual nutrition professional says a Big Mac a day is fine long term for one's health, please post as I would be interested in reading it.

So he likes facts/data and the recommendations of professionals also? Good man.
  • Theoldguy1

540 Calories
    28 grams Total Fat
    46 grams Carbs
    25 grams Protein

Who said anything about a Big Mac per day? And, based on the macros, why would it not be in the context of an diet that had good balance overall? These kind of judgements don't really consider context and amount and, honestly come across as orthorexic.

Please refer to the post by @AnnPT77 above which I responded to originally stating that IMO I do not believe for health reasons a dietitian would suggest that a diet that included a Big Mac a day would be healthy. As I stated above, and I believe would be in line with most dietitians, a Big Mac is an occasional type of food.

Here is the post I responded to:

540 Calories
    28 grams Total Fat
    46 grams Carbs
    25 grams Protein

Not me, though: I'm vegetarian

• psychod787

540 Calories
    28 grams Total Fat
    46 grams Carbs
    25 grams Protein

Well, yes actually. Eat solid nutrition, avoid too much junk, and moderate exercise. With the occasional beer. Lol
  • Theoldguy1

540 Calories
    28 grams Total Fat
    46 grams Carbs
    25 grams Protein

Well, yes actually. Eat solid nutrition, avoid too much junk, and moderate exercise. With the occasional beer. Lol

I'd get along well with him :)