Too late to work out?

Hello everyone!
I have a thought I’ve heard working out to late before bed is bad? But is it really?
I feel like if I work out too early say 5:30 AM I am not fully awake, I like to do work out at night around 7:30/45 PM due to work and commuting I find this to be the best time to fit in a 45-60 min work out?
What are others thoughts, experiences and any truth to working out to late before bed?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,602 Member
    You should check about how working out late affects your ability to fall asleep afterwards. Just guessing, but I would assume late low intensity cardio workouts would't be a problem but not sure if strength training just before bed would be too stimulating.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    That, actually anywhere after 6pm, is when I have always worked out.
    It hasn’t had any effect on my sleep, but later workouts can for some.

I’m not a morning person so that was never an option for me.

Give it a go, if it works, carry on, if it doesn’t, try lunch time, or on your way home from work.

Cheers, h.
  • lukeruss
    lukeruss Posts: 34 Member
    I work out late at night as that is the only time I have. For the first few weeks I had real trouble falling asleep but that has now reduced and it is not too bad
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Better to resistance train than not. Even if the time isn't optimal to your abilities of a more desired time. As long as you adhere, it's a good thing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    It's only bad for me because I can't fall asleep if I work out too late. That isn't true for everyone. You'll have to try it and see.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    It's only bad for me because I can't fall asleep if I work out too late. That isn't true for everyone. You'll have to try it and see.

I used to have that problem. Not anymore, in the last few years, I've been increasingly able to sleep in places I never used to be able to (trains, planes, airports, when a loud celebration was going on right outside the window of the place I was staying).

OP, if it doesn't interfere with sleep, workout whenever you can.
  • The only problem I personally have with working out late is the pre-workout wires me and makes it hard to sleep sometimes.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    far more important to workout when you can than what slim benefits there are to early vs late
  • JintheSouth
    JintheSouth Posts: 44 Member
    I love my evening workouts.
    I workout between 6pm and 8pm. Afterwards, take a hot shower and drink a cup of hot tea. I fall right to sleep. Working out later relaxes me.
    When I worked out in the morning, it made me sleepy, which made me irritable. Plus, I had to really push myself working out in the morning whereas in the evening, my muscles were more warmed up so it was easier. I also felt my appetite increased and gained an inch on my waist. I think the morning workouts stressed me out which made me eat more.