Emotional Overeating Anon

Has any ever been to an EOA meeting? I’m thinking of going to one tomorrow but I’m scared. I have an eating disorder and lately I thought it under control but I just don’t and going to doctors doesn’t help. They just ignore me when I say I have one and say “just lose weight.” Is 24 and I’ve been restricting, binging and purging since elementary school....I just wanna get help.

Replies

• mel35645
    mel35645 Posts: 267 Member
    I have never been to an EOA meeting but i think you should explore every option available. You are young and you have your entire life ahead of you. You owe it to yourself. Please give it a try
  • samandheatherdover
    samandheatherdover Posts: 20 Member
    I have never been but if it's something you think will help just check it out. Best case, you don't have one.

Good luck.
  • melodyvegan
    melodyvegan Posts: 59 Member
    edited October 2019
    @oncezenmfp it's great that you want to get help! Asking for help takes a lot of courage and that means you're a strong person.

I think you should definitely go to the meeting. I've never been to an EOA meeting, but when I was around your age, I had an opportunity to go and I didn't take it. I wish I had because it took another 10 years to really address my emotional relationship with food and feel healthy mentally and physically. You might find just the support you're needing there.

Are you able to seek therapy or one on one counseling for your eating disorder? Aside from the group (which could be a start, a really good one), a therapist who specializes in eating disorders might be a great resource for you.

I hope you find the support you need! I'm rooting for you! 🙌🏽
  • AJTravelBug
    AJTravelBug Posts: 1 Member
    @oncezenmfp Thank you for sharing about yourself and congratulations for having the courage to ask for help. I wish there was that kind of support group where I live. My family are all emotional eaters. I managed my emotional eating by using exercise as an outlet up until March of this year. I hurt my back and can no longer exercise as I used to. I find myself eating in order to cope. My only recommendation is to give it a real try. Go more than once, even if you don’t share right away. I hope the group is a huge success for you! Please do let us know how you like it. Wishing you all the best!
  • oncezenmfp
    oncezenmfp Posts: 4 Member
    @oncezenmfp it's great that you want to get help! Asking for help takes a lot of courage and that means you're a strong person.

I think you should definitely go to the meeting. I've never been to an EOA meeting, but when I was around your age, I had an opportunity to go and I didn't take it. I wish I had because it took another 10 years to really address my emotional relationship with food and feel healthy mentally and physically. You might find just the support you're needing there.

Are you able to seek therapy or one on one counseling for your eating disorder? Aside from the group (which could be a start, a really good one), a therapist who specializes in eating disorders might be a great resource for you.

I hope you find the support you need! I'm rooting for you! 🙌🏽

Unfortunately I have no access to a therapist. I have no insurance right now and no likelyhood of getting it anytime soon for financial reasons and my states rules on qualifying for Medicaid. Also the times I have gone to a therapist about it they’ve been incredibly dismissive. I told my last one that I used to not eat for a week or 2 at a time in high school and that now my binging was bad and he told me to just go on a strict diet and I was like dude are you serious?? Have you not been listening??
  • nwoutdoorgrl
    nwoutdoorgrl Posts: 167 Member
    I’ve never been but have considered it. Have you been able to attend one?

I wish you the best. I’ve struggled with binge & emotional eating for a long time. It’s not easy but I know we can overcome it. *hugs*
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I have been to OA. I don’t know if that’s the same thing, or something different. It was a long time ago. It was not for me, so I don’t remember it very well.
    There was an area manager or leader (don’t remember the title). She was the first point of contact. As I remember, she was very helpful, very caring. If I had been more open with her, I am sure she would have steered me to a better place. The meeting I went to had a theme. The people there shared a reason for their problems. (I didn’t share this particular problem) Much like Al Anon, it was a place to vent, and share. Everyone got a chance to talk. The meeting I went to was very well run, and I’m sure it was very helpful to people who belonged there.
  • adidas326
    adidas326 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello everyone,
    I also suffer from emotional eating issues but have never been to a meeting for it. If anyone wants to friend request me on here, it would be really great because I will support you and we can help each other, share our stories, and just be there for each other. You can message me anytime and I will get back to you asap. I am on this app everyday because I been tracking my macros and following a low carb and low calorie diet for about a month.
    Hope to hear from you soon!☺👍
    Stay strong!! 💪
    It is not easy asking for help or reaching out to others so I applaud you for doing that! I enjoy helping others and also am looking for more friends on here that have similar issues as me.
  • DW1Texas
    DW1Texas Posts: 131 Member
    Did not know those meetings existed - makes sense though - talking through an issue/problem/challenge can be very helpful especially with people that have experienced it or are going through it currently. I hope you attended the meeting.