How did you choose your "target weight"?

Just curious - how did you decide on your target weight?

For me it has to be a balance between feeling fit and healthy BUT still maintaining some curves, I am short and mesomorphic and if I lose too much I feel like I start to look masculine.

Also based on the weight I was able to maintain with no effort for many years in the past (before I put on these stubborn 15 lbs after moving in with my now-Husband!!). Here's hoping that when I get there again I can maintain it and not fall into husband induced bad habits again :s

How about you...?

Replies

• Cora0477
    Cora0477 Posts: 326 Member
    edited October 2019
    I’m 42 and 5’4”. When my husband joined the military 18 years ago we bought our first scale. I went from a sedentary lifestyle with eating out quite often to an active lifestyle and healthy eating. I dropped from 140 to 120 and looked and felt my best. We’ve moved 8 times now and I tend to gain between 10-15lbs each time we move. I start feeling gross and hating the way my clothes fit, throw a pity party and then work it back off before moving again and repeating the cycle. Each time I land somewhere between 120-125 to look and feel my best again.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,983 Member
    edited October 2019
    For most of my (younger) adult life (18-~32) I fairly easily maintained around the 128 range. So that was my goal. Now, I've been doing a lot more focused weight lifting, and while I was always strong before, I think I may have more muscle mass. So my goal weight isn't set in stone, and is more of a range like 128-132, but will really depend on my body and how I look when I get there.

Still have about 10-15 pounds to go, and that is definitely still there to lose (still have my fat-packs/saddlebags on my lower back/above my hips). The weight number is mostly just a number - who knows, I may get closer and decide to go a bit lower depending on how I look when I get there!
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    I chose 70, as I've been going up and down a lot between 65 and 92 during my whole adult life.
    70 is a weight were I feel good about myself, I can do physical activities without worries, I can wear the clothes I want and I'm within a normal BMI range.
    I've been down to 65 once and I didn't feel comfortable as I got a "too skinny" feeling and my face was really thin.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 671 Member
    Just curious - how did you decide on your target weight?

For me it has to be a balance between feeling fit and healthy BUT still maintaining some curves, I am short and mesomorphic and if I lose too much I feel like I start to look masculine.

Also based on the weight I was able to maintain with no effort for many years in the past (before I put on these stubborn 15 lbs after moving in with my now-Husband!!). Here's hoping that when I get there again I can maintain it and not fall into husband induced bad habits again :s

How about you...?

Oh my gosh...... I swear we have the exact same story. I've been pondering this a bit lately. Most of my adult life, I don't even know what I weighed, just went off how my clothes fit. I've picked a goal weight of 135ish - but I'm not sure if that's really where I want to be. I want ALL my clothes to fit the way they did before I moved in with my boyfriend, I'm making progress - but it's so slow. I totally changed my lifestyle and figuring out what works now is my current challenge. I'm 5'8" - currently 146 so I just want to tone up a bit and get rid of this muffin top I have going on at the moment.
  • bhop2982
    bhop2982 Posts: 9 Member
    I have mine set at 147.5lbs. (That 0.5 is very important!). At that weight, I will be "normal" by all those stupid BMI calculators, haha. It's stupid and spiteful, but that's how I picked it. I went from 180 to 155 in 2018 and for 2019, I've been hovering around 155 without putting much effort into it. Just now trying to make the push to get to 147.5.
  • tracimckinney
    tracimckinney Posts: 79 Member
    My target weight is 135 lbs (I'm 5'5"). It was what I weighed 2 years ago when my clothes fit well. As I get closer to that number, I'm realizing I may need to lower it a bit as I still have a lot of fat around my waist.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    My goal weight is to be within 57-60 kg (125.5-132lb).
    To have a BMI in the healthy range I'd have to be under 61.6kg.
    I'm fairly muscular, but I really want to be in that statistical band, just because it's there.
    We'll see when I get there, but I want to look really good for once, so I thought little under the top end of the BMI range would be good, and 60kg is a nice round number.

I did look through some success stories threads of people about my height to help me pick a weight too.
  • scaredofscale
    scaredofscale Posts: 24 Member
    I chose 140 because it puts me at a healthy BMI range but gives me a little wiggle room
  • Mine would be 45 kg. I was 100 pounds(felt most comfortable) but recently am around 118-120which stinks since my thighs and butt seem to carry all the weight now. It helps to know that I’m 5 foot and most taller woman would look leaner at my current weight and yet I still look slightly bulkier so just gotta work on that, sometimes I hate being short because that means going the extra mile to not look chubby and having to be lighter than other taller woman because the BMI gets lower as your shorter. It also sadly means less food😭😭😭
  • tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 161 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I don't have a goal weight, more goal body composition within a weight range.

100% this 🧡
  • sfinsc
    sfinsc Posts: 169 Member
    I'm 5'4" and chose 125 because I remembered being there in my early 20s and again in my early 30s and feeling good. However, now that I'm there, I realize I still have some decent fat stores on my belly and my hips, so I'm going to continue losing until my body achieves stasis. At this point I'm feeling good in my body; I just know I have some fat to lose.
  • GrandmaRising
    GrandmaRising Posts: 5 Member
    I chose 125 because, while heavier than my age 20 weight, for health in my sixties, it works. I also look good at that weight in photographs.
  • Cocoabean01
    Cocoabean01 Posts: 7 Member
    I am 5 ft 2 and I chose 110 lbs as my GW as I've been there many times before and that's when I feel and look my best. When I put on weight, i tend to store it in my upper body and mid section and I start to resemble a lollipop. At 110 lbs, I feel comfortable with my mid section and that's the area I am most concerned about as my family has a history of metabolic syndrome and abdominal obesity is a huge contributing factor for that disease.