498lbs needs motivation

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    @billygunn31 tell us about your first day.
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    That's a great step, @billygunn111 -- if it's too hard to walk much on it, is there a pool you can have access to? Pool walking sounds tedious but it's helped lots of people who have difficulty standing/moving for more than 15 minutes at a time, get to the point where they can hop on a treadmill like nobody's business. :)
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    @billygunn31 the pool I go to has a lift to put a person into the pool as well as actual stairs that you can walk down into the pool. Perhaps your local pool has one of those options?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    THANKS ALEC! Good advice. I will add slow walking is better than nothing. Walking at even 1mph doubles your energy expenditure. If you have bad knees, a recumbent bike can be a good choice. Resistance bands while you sit will help. A caloric deficit is what you need, but protein is your friend. Protein in class 3 obese subjects when raised to 30% of caloric intake showed as much as a 1000 calorie a day reduction in intake. Might also suggest learning about nutrition. CICO is primary driver in weight changes, but something a good professional told me, "Quality matters." Not organic or any BS like that. Real whole foods. Good luck my friend, from one big guy to another!

And good advice on all the other options, including increasing protein. Personally my "take" on things would be to view this an excellent experiment that is approached out of curiosity and desire for optimisation as opposed to as an unwanted necessity.

I most certainly found out that I **enjoy** things such as 0% greek yogurt, and lean proteins, and, dare I say it, vegetables and fruits not necessarily slathered in excess dressings.

Yes, enjoy them. And yes, if you eat them you **will** crowd out higher calorie less satiating items. You don't *need* to set out to eliminate things out of your diet (maybe some things you will decide are not just worth it to you and that's OK).

But these things are more advanced, I would say, post the first week or so on MFP. The first week or two, all one really needs to get a handle on is keeping track of things and logging food before it is eaten.

Did you notice that before? It makes a BIG difference :wink:

<and not necessarily aim for the moon right away.... a bunch of small changes over the next few years implemented one by one and creating a cascade of improvement and any one of us, the OP included, will be greatly surprised where they can find themselves>

• LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    So I desperately needs to lose weight needs motivation and to be keep accountable.

Due to weight standing and walking for any amount of time is hard and becomes painful

I have been losing weight without exercise because I tore ligaments in my feet and ankles, just by following MFP's calorie and macro recommendations. About 17 lbs in 2 months (250 lb start weight).

When (if?) my feet heal then I'll introduce exercise. So when you get down to a weight where you won't hurt yourself, you can add it too.

Recognize it's going to take you a couple of years to lose it all safely from that weight. Don't believe these crash-diet TV shows where people go from 400 to 180 lbs in a year.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited October 2019
    Going to try and only allow myself 2000-2500 calories a day see if that works

What does mfp recommend? Since you're starting at 400+ and a dude that sounds good for calorie targets but might even be too low. You have a doc working with you on this? Might be a good thing to get one if not.

I second the advice to set smaller goals, like 5 lbs, or 20 lbs, or whatever, things you can achieve in a fairly short time-frame.
  • BatmansKcak
    BatmansKcak Posts: 6 Member
    An interesting thing about being heavily overweight is how many toxins you can flush from your cells down the toilet by drinking large volumes of water throughout the day. Like literally peeing 10 times a day. You will be surprised how much of that weight can be flushed away with the right water intake. It also keeps you full. 1/2 gallon 3litre bottle. You can squeeze in some fruit for flavoring. You don't have to run circuits or have some insane crash diet. Just literally pass it through your system with water. When you know some things can be easier like this then it makes doing it easier also. Also, it's a way to measure that you can do things. If you can't get your water intake right, then what chance have you got of doing anything else right? When I notice myself falling back I look at water. Am I taking enough? The answer is no if I find myself falling back. If I am taking enough water, everything alls falls into place naturally. It's the first step, the easiest one and helps your diet tenfold.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    Going to try and only allow myself 2000-2500 calories a day see if that works

What does mfp recommend? Since you're starting at 400+ and a dude that sounds good for calorie targets but might even be too low. You have a doc working with you on this? Might be a good thing to get one if not.

I second the advice to set smaller goals, like 5 lbs, or 20 lbs, or whatever, things you can achieve in a fairly short time-frame.

Yep, given the OP's situation should have medical supervision. Best of luck to OP.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    I went and got my self a treadmill today

Be careful on the treadmill please! Particularly if you're having difficulty walking/moving.

Treadmills are far less forgiving than the rest of the ground. That belt is going to keep moving regardless of what happens. Stumble slightly, a bit of a misstep, tweak one of your joints, need to slow down or stop suddenly, all these things present no issue on solid ground but on a treadmill could send you tumbling hard because of that moving belt.

The other thing to keep in mind is that while the treadmill (if you're careful) may assist in getting you moving it likely won't have a noticeable impact on your weight loss. It's likely right now you won't be able to maintain an effort level and duration high enough to impact your calories out in a significant enough way to aid in weight loss. Even more so if the extra effort results in a corresponding (and completely normal) increase in appetite and calorie intake.

The treadmill (as long as you're careful) isn't necessarily a bad idea but use it focusing on the movement and fitness benefits it will give you rather than on the weight loss benefits which will be minimal at best.

G'luck and keep us all informed about how your going!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    I went and got my self a treadmill today

Did you check the weight capacity on the treadmill? Unfortunately unless you got a very high end machine weight capacity is usually 350 pounds or under. May have to look at other options until you get your weight down to the machine's limit.

This article talks specifiaclly about treadmills for standing workstations, but the general ideas apply
    https://www.workwhilewalking.com/do-weight-ratings-on-treadmills-really-matter

Best of luck.