Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

The most polarizing food: where do you stand?

Replies

• BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Phirrgus wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I always have ketchup on hot dogs! Or chicken dogs as the case may be these days. And I eat marshmallows almost every night. :(

The lofthouse cookies aren't worth the calories and the icing sucks so the one time I bought some, I just ended up eating around the outside edge of the cookies and threw the part with any icing away.

And scrambled eggs - ketchup is awesome. Maybe it would make the cookies in the OP a bit better too? :D

Ketchup on eggs is great. But gotta love ketchup on mac and cheese.

I prefer salsa on eggs
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    I once ate at a trendy restaurant where Green Eggs and Ham was on the menu. The last item in the brunch section. Eggs and jambon de Paris smothered in salsa verde. The concept was better than the eating.
    https://www.bistrotheque.com/files/menus/RC-Brunch-October-ONLINE.pdf
  • acpgee
    The Green Eggs and Ham dish at Bistrotheque.
    q2dotbffys6d.jpeg
    etnlaey5xsnf.jpg

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    I once ate at a trendy restaurant where Green Eggs and Ham was on the menu. The last item in the brunch section. Eggs and jambon de Paris smothered in salsa verde. The concept was better than the eating.
    https://www.bistrotheque.com/files/menus/RC-Brunch-October-ONLINE.pdf

I sometimes see that dish name at local (Chicago) brunch places. I've never tried one.

At a place I've gone to (not especially trendy, just a local place near where a friend lives), this is the description:

"Green Eggs n' Ham -- egg whites, basil pesto, smoked ham, scallions, spinach, pea sprouts; rosemary hash browns"
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    I would be curious about more polarizing foods. (...)
    I'm curious to see if you know what this is, IME people either really love it or really hate it:

Reteta-piftie-de-curcan-racituri-de-curcan.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    edited October 2019
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    I would be curious about more polarizing foods. (...)
    I'm curious to see if you know what this is, IME people either really love it or really hate it:

Reteta-piftie-de-curcan-racituri-de-curcan.jpg

Aspic (kholodets, zalivnoe. etc.)?

ETA: If that's what it is, a hard "no" from me. (I have no idea whether I like it or not, but I've been vegetarian for 45+ years now.)
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Aspic (kholodets, zalivnoe. etc.)?
    Yup. Not vegetarian but hard "no" from me as well, btw.

• acpgee
    I'd probably like the aspic.
  • acpgee
    Mortadella is the respectable variant of Bologna which is properly Italian. And if you google fried mortadella, it is a thing for sandwiches.
  • RemoteWilderness
    RemoteWilderness Posts: 29 Member
    edited October 2019
    These cookies look like they were made by angels.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    qp0kpl1i5a4w.png
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    qp0kpl1i5a4w.png

As a non-American I don't even know what this is. Candy corn? Is it corn covered with candy like a toffee apple?
  • PAPYRUS3
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    qp0kpl1i5a4w.png

As a non-American I don't even know what this is. Candy corn? Is it corn covered with candy like a toffee apple?

Consider yourself lucky to never had this 'candy'...it's just terrible..sugar, corn syrup, confectioner's glaze, salt, dextrose, gelatin, sesame oil, artificial flavor, honey, yellow 6, yellow 5, and red 3. It also contains gelatin and the coating on top is made from lac-resin, an insect secretion from lac bugs found in Asia...yummy
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited October 2019
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Bologna, there's a food for ya. Fried, it's good.

I love fried bologna, have it every 2 or 3 years. I bought a can of chicken bologna out of curiosity. Haven’t opened it yet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    qp0kpl1i5a4w.png

Consider yourself lucky to never had this 'candy'...it's just terrible..sugar, corn syrup, confectioner's glaze, salt, dextrose, gelatin, sesame oil, artificial flavor, honey, yellow 6, yellow 5, and red 3. It also contains gelatin and the coating on top is made from lac-resin, an insect secretion from lac bugs found in Asia...yummy

And it's part of a larger class of candy called "Mellocremes" (sometimes "Mellowcremes") that include equally unlikeable tiny flat-bottomed/big-stemmed pumpkins, bicolor Christmas bells, and much much more.

One of my former rowing coaches loved these so much we called her "Coach Mellocreme". :lol: She can have 'em.

And yes, they're not vegetarian. And you forgot to metion the carnauba wax that's in some of them.
  • PAPYRUS3
    qp0kpl1i5a4w.png

And it's part of a larger class of candy called "Mellocremes" (sometimes "Mellowcremes") that include equally unlikeable tiny flat-bottomed/big-stemmed pumpkins, bicolor Christmas bells, and much much more.

One of my former rowing coaches loved these so much we called her "Coach Mellocreme". :lol: She can have 'em.

And yes, they're not vegetarian. And you forgot to metion the carnauba wax that's in some of them.

I've seen those too. Why people? There's just so many treats out there to devour.., don't subject yourself to this 🎃😝
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    qp0kpl1i5a4w.png

I've seen those too. Why people? There's just so many treats out there to devour.., don't subject yourself to this 🎃😝

My wife and daughter buy these nasty things every year around Halloween... not sure if they really like them or if they are doing it to hassle me (since they know I can't stand them)...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited October 2019
    I haven't had them as an adult but I always liked candy corn as a kid.
    Not the pumpkins etc though.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    bsqqu5h9p9l1.png
    ...it seems

I actually prefer canned cranberry sauce haha
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    qp0kpl1i5a4w.png

From a flavor perspective I like candy corn alright... but thinking about the sugar/ingredients... not worth it IMO. Would rather have chocolate!