Is it normal to be out of breath after 2 flights of stairs?

2»

Replies

• Agree that if you have access to stairs and do multiple flights of stairs regularly, it gets easier over time.

Strangely, one of the biggest indications that my calorie deficit is too large over too much time is when I start having difficulty with stairs. I am normally never winded doing one flight of stairs, but suddenly I’ll be out of breath and my legs feel like weighted iron going up the stairs. This happened to me when my BMI was 33 and still happens after losing 50 pounds.

Once my deficit is smaller or I’m eating at maintenance, I’m back to doing stairs without any issues.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    tegass1994 wrote: »
    I start getting out if breath already after walking up 2 or 3 flights if stairs. 4 flights or more and I start panting. Is it normal? After how many flights do you loae your breath?

1) you could be out of shape and be climbing faster than your current condition allows
    2) you could have un- or under-treated asthma
    3) small possibility of a heart condition, however this would commonly be accompanied by leg pain ("claudication") because of not delivering oxygen to the muscles at an adequate rate.

pick what you think fits. If you're worried about the medical possibilities then ask your doc to check you out.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I walk up 6 flights of stairs every morning for work. Some mornings I am running up them and totally fine, other mornings I can barely breathe and struggle like you wouldn't believe. I have no idea what it seems easier some days haha

This *totally* sounds like un- or under-treated asthma. See your doc, there's an easy fix for it.

• amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    I walk up 6 flights of stairs every morning for work. Some mornings I am running up them and totally fine, other mornings I can barely breathe and struggle like you wouldn't believe. I have no idea what it seems easier some days haha

This *totally* sounds like un- or under-treated asthma. See your doc, there's an easy fix for it.

I don't have asthma - some mornings its just more of a hustle to get up 6 flights of stairs. Its usually when I'm feeling more sleepy.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I think sometimes, for some people, it can be related to stress/anxiety too. I tend to hold my breath or breathe too shallow without realizing it when I am nervous or really worried about something. Normally I am not out of breath after climbing several flights of stairs, and I hike a lot and don't have any problems even at high altitudes. But give me an extra stressful day and I'll find myself gasping on the second flight of stairs because of the way I'm breathing/holding my breath!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    It might be "normal" but I wouldn't consider it healthy. That's one of the things that convinced me that I needed to lose weight. Between that and riding a bicycle several times a week, it takes several flights of stairs for me to pay much attention to them.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
    tegass1994 wrote: »
    I start getting out if breath already after walking up 2 or 3 flights if stairs. 4 flights or more and I start panting. Is it normal? After how many flights do you loae your breath?

If you haven't done so, please get checked out by your doctor. If being out of breath after a couple of flights of stairs is new to you, something could be wrong. Don't take any chances with your health.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I did the equivalent of 30 flights of stairs yesterday. Needed lots of rest breaks.

The view at the top wasn't worth it, but after getting home and consulting with a map I learned that I wasn't actually at the top - had another half mile and 10 more flights to go. (It's hard to tell due to the trees.)

Am going to try again tomorrow or Friday, but this time from a different approach.