Running/jogging calories?

I use Map My Run to log my runs but the calories seem high. Today I was out for just over 30 mins alternating asking and jogging and the app reckons I burned 270 calories. Does that sound like a reasonable amount?

Replies

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    It depends on your size and the intensity. You can search on line for various calculators. What I did when I was doing more running is took a sample of 3 of them. They were all in the same ballpark with each other. If the profile pic is you, I'm guessing the 270 may be close - maybe a little bit high, not much.

I believe Map My Run already accounts for your current weight and likely is in line with the online calculators. The only way to know is to monitor it over time. When I used it, it seemed to work just fine.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I use the same app, seems quite accurate to me. I also tried a few online just to compare lengths and times. Approx 100 calories per 10 mins of jogging for a smaller person seems about right to me.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    yes, it's about right
    runner's world has a calculator
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    That’s about what I would burn during a 5k. Depending on your stats and distance, it may be accurate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Jogging is running, just ruuning at a slower pace.

Bodyweight in pounds X miles run x 0.63 (an efficiency ratio) will give you a decent net calorie estimate.

MapMyRun and MyFitnessPal use the same METS based numbers by the way, both will be gross calorie estimates.

Bit of a typo in your OP "alternating asking and jogging".
    If you meant walking not "asking" then the efficiency ratio is 0.3 for walking.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    I think most of the estimates from apps (e.g., MapMyRun) are pretty good so long as your weight is accurate. I've sweated over it before, but never found eating back calories for cardio (estimated by a range of methods) to be a problem.