Share your Numbers

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    No numbers from me today. The spreadsheet has to be rebooted with a new starting weight and I am not eating a deficit for at least another week. My weight has continued to climb from water weight which is disappointing. I was kind of hoping those days were behind me. So far I am up around 9 pounds from my post surgical weight.

This whole thing will be like starting anew when I go back in a deficit. I will go through a couple of weeks of water weight loss, my TDEE is different, my rate of loss will be different, and it will take about 6 weeks to get clean numbers again.

Surgery really messes with your water weight. It took me a few months until I felt it had left. Just remember your body had a shock and things are different so it takes a while for it to calm down. In fact in my case I thought I looked fatter after the surgery than I did before. I look at pictures of that time and I look about 20 lbs heavier. Trust me it will pass. I know you said you already have trouble with water retention so it's not surprising at all. Hang in there and just concentrate on healing.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    No numbers from me today. The spreadsheet has to be rebooted with a new starting weight and I am not eating a deficit for at least another week. My weight has continued to climb from water weight which is disappointing. I was kind of hoping those days were behind me. So far I am up around 9 pounds from my post surgical weight.

This whole thing will be like starting anew when I go back in a deficit. I will go through a couple of weeks of water weight loss, my TDEE is different, my rate of loss will be different, and it will take about 6 weeks to get clean numbers again.

Surgery really messes with your water weight. It took me a few months until I felt it had left. Just remember your body had a shock and things are different so it takes a while for it to calm down. In fact in my case I thought I looked fatter after the surgery than I did before. I look at pictures of that time and I look about 20 lbs heavier. Trust me it will pass. I know you said you already have trouble with water retention so it's not surprising at all. Hang in there and just concentrate on healing.

I can be pretty patient with how I look and with the number on the scale. I am mostly concerned that when I balloon up I tend to come down quickly which throws off my electrolytes and makes me feel bad. I take steps to offset it but it never seems enough when I am losing 10+ pounds of water in a single week.

I knew this would be an issue from the surgery and my pre-existing water retention situation. Not too much I can do about it except keep hoping it stabilizes. This morning I was .6 pounds less which puts me 11.6 pounds up from my post surgery weight. I am hoping that means this is about it and won't shoot up another 10 pounds like I tend to do.

• jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    SW: 347
    CW: 278.8
    GW: 180 (150 ultimate)
    Total loss: 68.2

I'm coming up on a year of loss at the end of next month, and I was hoping to be a bit further along before I get there. But, with how slow I've been losing for some months now, I don't think I will hit that one year goal (down 75 lbs). It's a bit discouraging, and I know my doc will have something to say.
  • NovusDies

I'm coming up on a year of loss at the end of next month, and I was hoping to be a bit further along before I get there. But, with how slow I've been losing for some months now, I don't think I will hit that one year goal (down 75 lbs). It's a bit discouraging, and I know my doc will have something to say.

You are so much healthier than you were a year ago. Considering the number of patients your doc sees that he/she wants to lose weight that never do I should think your progress should be interpreted as great.

Have you ever looked at this thread?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Sometimes when weight loss downshifts it is because of non exercise activity. A common reduction in NEAT is a seasonal hobby or activity but it can be far more subtle than that. If a kid is old enough to start doing chores that you normally do your NEAT goes down. Getting a headache can reduce your NEAT for the day. The examples are endless.

Since I started I have added 400ish calories of expenditure a day by improving my NEAT. 200 of that was just getting a new puppy. Those are calories that either add to my deficit if needed or, if not, can be eaten.
  • smat52
    smat52 Posts: 36 Member
    SW last June. 276
    Got to 244 by December 2018
    Maintained 244 until now and I'm 249
    I have to get this under control before I gain it all back!
  • NovusDies
    smat52 wrote: »
    SW last June. 276
    Got to 244 by December 2018
    Maintained 244 until now and I'm 249
    I have to get this under control before I gain it all back!

You can get that under control. You are a rock star for maintaining your weight for most of a year. That is very (too) rare.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member

You are so much healthier than you were a year ago. Considering the number of patients your doc sees that he/she wants to lose weight that never do I should think your progress should be interpreted as great.

Have you ever looked at this thread?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Sometimes when weight loss downshifts it is because of non exercise activity. A common reduction in NEAT is a seasonal hobby or activity but it can be far more subtle than that. If a kid is old enough to start doing chores that you normally do your NEAT goes down. Getting a headache can reduce your NEAT for the day. The examples are endless.

Since I started I have added 400ish calories of expenditure a day by improving my NEAT. 200 of that was just getting a new puppy. Those are calories that either add to my deficit if needed or, if not, can be eaten.

I have not, but I will! With the sudden cooling down of the weather (think Fargo, ND area), it makes getting out for my walks harder. I do supplement where I can by going to the store on my lunch breaks, so at least I'm not sitting. Fortunately there is a decent length hallway at work where I can walk back and forth, too.

I am trying to get the time to go swimming at the local college pool. But the only day I can go is Sunday, which is also my day to get housework and miscellaneous projects done, so I haven't figured out how to break down the schedule for that yet.

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Great work @jjlewey. The important thing is that you're headed in the right direction and staying strong -- not giving up.
  • NovusDies
    jjlewey wrote: »
    Today I hit a new low weight, this is significant because it is my first new low since before my vacation. It also happens to be my 3 month restart "anniversary". I started tracking and logging again on July 10th.
    SW: 427
    CW: 388.2
    It is frustrating because on Sept. 3rd I was 389.0 but what matters is today not last month. Forward momentum, keep it going.

I would not do a comparison to Sept 3rd quite yet. It almost always takes me 3-4 days to get to the real new low weight. The first day one appears is usually just the appetizer course, one of the middle days is usually the biggest payday, and the last day bats in the clean-up spot.

I mixed my metaphors intentionally. Weird mood.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    You are right Merph!....keeping it going!....my weight loss slowed down a lot the last four weeks but it is still going down.....I know jjlewey wants to do this so badly....jjlewey you CAN do it....you have so many on MFP in your corner cheering you on....the support on this site is tremendous....

If you ever want to open up about your journey, this is the place to do it...no one points fingers or judges you....I am learning so much about everyone’s struggles and victories....I think every aspect of losing weight and becoming healthier is covered in the topics here at Larger Losers....

We all have a few months until the NewYear....I for one am going to celebrate the new year pounds thinner than I did last year...I tell everyone that if I can lose weight, anyone can....moderation and portion control....
  • MatthewRuch
    MatthewRuch Posts: 165 Member
    Newest InBody numbers are in even though official weigh in isn't until tomorrow morning!

A couple of contradictory results because I didn't know I needed to be rested/fasted for the first one, so that is the reason that all the numbers are down except % Body fat being slightly up. Next month will be a much better comparison. But I am more than happy with these! Not bad for a 3 week progress report.

Having a naturally very high muscle mass, (as seen by the segmental lean analysis) means that even at ideal weight I would be considered obese by BMI so %BF is going to be the metric I track most.

Starting weight Aug 4 2019 - 356
    Current Official weight Oct 5, 2019 - 321.1
    Total Loss - 34.9 Lbs
    Goal weight 170, would be happy with 200.

bpvlgo4nx8c9.jpg
    seb94jwt5zu6.jpg
  • NovusDies
    edited October 2019
    @MatthewRuch

You are smart not getting too concerned. Bio impedance tests are really only good for trends not for individual readings.

Those measurements are the really valuable data.
  • conniewilkins56
    43 lbs down in 138 days...I am amazed with myself!....still a bunch to lose but feeling so much better mentally and physically....thank you MFP
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Satisfiedwithbetter Posts: 970 Member
    43 lbs down in 138 days...I am amazed with myself!....still a bunch to lose but feeling so much better mentally and physically....thank you MFP

Whatever you are doing, it’s working!
  • conniewilkins56
    44 lbs gone!.....142 days has actually flown by....I guess this is still a pretty good rate of loss!