Things in recipes that amuse you

Replies

• jthillk
    jthillk Posts: 17 Member
    Yes, similar, but I think it was making fun of allrecipes.com for some reason.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    It's annoying when a certain blogger always says "This is the BEST recipe for **** ever!" for every recipe she shares. Ok... if you say so.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I like it on a packet of peanuts it says may contain nut😂well I would hope so 😂

My favorite story like that was back in the early 90's when caffeine was the big bad chemical and many drinks came out with a caffeine free version and those that never had it were advertising that fact. A gentleman came up to the cash register stating that he did NOT want the caffeine free 7-UP, he wanted the regular. Could not convince him that he was getting the regular and they put "Caffeine Free" on the box just to show people that it does not contain any. He left the store without buying it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

My favorite story like that was back in the early 90's when caffeine was the big bad chemical and many drinks came out with a caffeine free version and those that never had it were advertising that fact. A gentleman came up to the cash register stating that he did NOT want the caffeine free 7-UP, he wanted the regular. Could not convince him that he was getting the regular and they put "Caffeine Free" on the box just to show people that it does not contain any. He left the store without buying it.

I've found the same thing happening now with "Gluten Free." Stuff gets labelled as gluten free that never, ever, contained any in the first place! :D
  • hmhill17
    hmhill17 Posts: 283 Member
    jthillk wrote: »
    I find it amusing when there is a recipe and people write reviews after making the recipe...but have completely butchered the recipe and then give it like zero out of five stars. If you follow the recipe 100% and it flops, that's fair, but otherwise, not fair. I saw a hilarious joke a few years back pertaining to this but have never been able to find it again. If anyone know what I'm talking about, please post it.

Whenever I see something like that on a recipe site, I flag it as inappropriate. At least on the sites that allow it. Whether they rated it 5 stars or 0.

The site I use the most, I use the review section to leave myself notes for the next time I see the recipe. That way if there was a glaring mistake, I know not to make it the next time.
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    I remember seeing a bag of apples labeled as fat free in college, someone brought it in during our health class because they found it funny
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,473 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »

In this same vein packaged iced tea being labeled diet drives me crazy. Straight tea has 5 calories, it's the packaged sugary stuff that should be labeled differently.
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 352 Member
    Recipies that call for bread crumbs...say soak them in milk...then squeeze the milk out...WTF ??
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Recipies that call for bread crumbs...say soak them in milk...then squeeze the milk out...WTF ??

Makes sense so the final dish is not too dry. When a recipe calls for that I just use crumbs I make from fresh bread.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    When chefs say - "...just a splash of oil or just a bit of butter..." The 'splash' is probably more than 1/4 cup+ of oil and 'a bit' is usually a stick or two of butter.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Not exactly a recipe but a photo of a recipe on Pinterest...

Scrolling through I saw what looked like spicy meatballs (or vegetarian’meat’ balls) pictured on a crispy poppadum. Looking closer it freaked me out because the balls looked like they’d been made with tiny worms! 😱

Turned out to be chocolate truffles covered with chocolate vermicelli on a sheet of very crumpled parchment paper but it did shock me for a few seconds! 😂
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    When a recipe says to “unthaw” something. Really? You want it “UNTHAWED”? So, like, you want it frozen then is what you’re saying? Or when something says “hamburger” instead of ground beef. Okay, I’m being nit picky now. Lol.

Thank you