Lifting 10 tons

I noticed from my app that my total lifted weight was 20000 lbs today. I think that is 10 tons. Mostly from 3 sets of 10. Am I thinking right on this? That sounds very impressive...

Replies

• allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    No one knows... Just need a math check here...
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Unless you lifted 666.6667# for 3 sets of 10 that seems off...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    20,000 lbs is 10 tons, that is correct. Are you saying you lifted that in just today's session? Or is that the cumulative total for the time you've been using that app?
  • George_of_the_Jungle
    George_of_the_Jungle Posts: 3,316 Member
    This is for sure a cumulative total, you should be proud!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    3 sets of 10 was your whole workout? Or you did that volume on multiple lifts??
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,023 Member
    This is for sure a cumulative total, you should be proud!

:lol: I figured that was the case, but I've seen people brag about some pretty wild stuff here!

It is an impressive number OP
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    My Google Fit tells me I've burned 1,331 calories so far today. But only about 200 of that is actual exercise, whereas the rest is just my body doing its body things, like keeping me alive. I could say I've burned 1331 calories doing awesome stuff, but I'd be smudging the truth a bit.

How does your app "know" how much you've lifted? Do you have an accelerometer sensor on your arms that tells it when you've moved, at what speed, and how much you've lifted? Did you manually enter values in?
  • allother94
    No, that is just today. I did 12 exercises with 3 sets of 10 reps. So 12 x 3 x 10 = 360 reps. Average weight of 56lbs per rep is 360x56=20,160. So I lifted 10 tons today? That just sounds crazy...
  • allother94
    My Google Fit tells me I've burned 1,331 calories so far today. But only about 200 of that is actual exercise, whereas the rest is just my body doing its body things, like keeping me alive. I could say I've burned 1331 calories doing awesome stuff, but I'd be smudging the truth a bit.

How does your app "know" how much you've lifted? Do you have an accelerometer sensor on your arms that tells it when you've moved, at what speed, and how much you've lifted? Did you manually enter values in?

Manually entered...

• allother94
    wiigelec wrote: »

Interesting article. I’m not really looking to use the 10 tons answer I’m getting to compare workouts or determine if it was good or not. I just think it sounds impressive, and somewhat unbelievable...
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    I've had over 60,000 pounds before on leg day, sounds impressive, but really only tells you the amount of volume you've done. It is a good indicator if you are progressing, assuming you do the same routine every time. If the volume goes up you are adding weight or doing more sets or reps.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    I noticed from my app that my total lifted weight was 20000 lbs today. I think that is 10 tons. Mostly from 3 sets of 10. Am I thinking right on this? That sounds very impressive...

If could be or could not be impressive.. 3 sets of 10 partilal reps with 500 pounds gets you to 15000, the 4th would get you to 20000 lbs. Not imprssive,

If doing full range of motion in good form with free weigjts starting to climb the impressiveness ladder.

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited October 2019
    Yes it sound common especially when you factor in leg press, deads, etc...

I would be more concerned with average intensity than total tonnage by itself.

Even better regulation would be a combination of both tonnage & avg intensity along with exertion.

In certain training blocks I'll accumulate 60k in tonage. Yet my 14k days are far more impressive(on stress) because the average intensity is >20% than the high tonnage day.

It really comes down to what type of training that you have adapted to. 20k isn't a ridiculous number by any means for somebody who is trained. Untrained? Yes.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2019
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Yes it sound common especially when you factor in leg press, deads, etc...

I would be more concerned with average intensity than total tonnage by itself.

Even better regulation would be a combination of both tonnage & avg intensity along with exertion.

In certain training blocks I'll accumulate 60k in tonage. Yet my 14k days are far more impressive(on stress) because the average intensity is >20% than the high tonnage day.

It really comes down to what type of training that you have adapted to. 20k isn't a ridiculous number by any means for somebody who is trained. Untrained? Yes.

^^^

This, I'm not very strong and never lift peak power like Chief. But on an average day rowing, I basically "lift" 100K pounds and that's light for a rower. 100 lbs per stroke X 1000 strokes for a 10K. Each rowing stroke is like a 100 lb deadlift in terms of average force (if it's executed right by me at my weight). It sounds awesome, but in terms of peak strength, max lifts or near max lifts rule.

So a "lighter" rowing workout is lifting 50 tons in around 45 minutes. Yet, I likely couldn't squat 225. Certainly can't deadlift 1.5X my weight.
  • allother94
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    allother94 wrote: »

If could be or could not be impressive.. 3 sets of 10 partilal reps with 500 pounds gets you to 15000, the 4th would get you to 20000 lbs. Not imprssive,

If doing full range of motion in good form with free weigjts starting to climb the impressiveness ladder.

It doesn’t matter if it IS impressive. It just SOUNDS impressive to someone that doesn’t know any better. I was impressed when I saw the total.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    OP its a good starting point. add to it when you get to 21k or 30k or way more thats progress and building strength/endurance and thats what counts.