Anyone up for a sugar-free challenge?

Once I start, I just can’t stop! I gave up sugar for about 8 weeks and it was fabulous! I’ve unfortunately given in to the sugar cravings again recently and I’m finding it hard to shake.... Would love any suggestions or motivation

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Are you saying sweets (cookies, cake, candy, pies, ice cream, donuts, pastries, bread, pop, etc) or all sugar? That’s kind of impossible and ill advised. Our bodies need sugar.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    @missysippy930 It isn't impossible to give up all of those sugars. Far from it, actually.

I can count on one hand the amount of pieces of fruit I've eaten in the past 2 years (fruits caused me IBS issues) and many low carb/keto dieters spend their lives living without sugar. You don't need sugar to survive, natural or otherwise. You can get a lot of what you need from green vegetables.

@SuperMotivated56 how long you thinking of doing this challenge for? I'd definitely consider joining you. Been struggling to get back on the Keto wagon and a challenge like this might help me!

I didn’t say you couldn’t give up those foods. I was asking which types of sugar the OP means to give up.

Sugar is needed by our bodies.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    OP do you mean added sugars? I'm really trying to watch added sugars. Like recently I've switched to plain Greek yogurt that has no added sugars and I add my own fruit for flavor.
  • AwesomeOpossum74
    AwesomeOpossum74 Posts: 106 Member
    Once I start, I just can’t stop! I gave up sugar for about 8 weeks and it was fabulous! I’ve unfortunately given in to the sugar cravings again recently and I’m finding it hard to shake.... Would love any suggestions or motivation

Moderation is key to success; I haven't completely removed any food types from my diet. I have my cravings, and when they get bad, I remind myself I don't want them, try to substitute a 0-calorie version, or just hit the fruits/veggies. I also distract myself with activities that remove me from the food.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member

I'm assuming you mean added sugar?

I did this when I first started, mainly as an experiment and because people claimed it was hard. I actually found it not hard at all. My approach was to eat only at meals (I had 3, pretty traditional pattern), and I'm not someone who really ever adds sugar to regular meals, as I like savory breakfasts and only have a few recipes that use a little honey or sugar. Because of the experiment I avoided condiments with a little added sugar too, but I don't think that had any real benefits.

Getting used to only eating at meals didn't take long, and I was fine.

Later I noticed that lots of people were losing and fitting in occasional sweets, so I decided that when I had the calories I'd add back in an occasional dessert after dinner and mixed it up -- often ice cream, but sometimes just fruit, and sometimes a good cheese or some nuts -- so I didn't always expect something sweet after a meal. The parameters that I could only have an amount within my calories and ate it after dinner made it controllable.

I've pretty much stopped eating added sugar lately just because I've lost my taste for it (I think it's partly that I've been eating more fruit -- a conscious effort earlier in the year, then my normal pattern in the summer, and now more of a conscious effort again). I never find myself wanting anything sweet after dinner anymore. I am not currently bothering with avoiding it in condiments since I don't consume a lot of them anyway, but for fun I might do so for a while and join a thread if you started one for people doing this.

If you mean all sugar, like from fruit and veg (which I assume you do not, again), I would not be interested in that.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Nope... I like fruit too much...
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    No, the low-fat version of causes the weight gain. The sugar when combined carbohydrates, also with no protein and no fat, also causes eater to be unsatisfied.
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Not doing this challenge because I don't need it, but I wanted to share my experience. When I stopped actively trying to control sugar it became just like any other food, I eat it when I want and I don't feel the need to overeat it because I can eat it again any time I want. It took time, but the change in mindset was powerful. No need to fight and try not to give in all the time because to me a cookies are just like tahini cauliflower. Foods that I like and want to eat sometimes, but need to do work harder to fit them in, which makes eating them in large amounts too often less desirable than eating them in large amounts occasionally or in smaller amounts more often.