5k Swimming Challenge

Replies

• Letslose99
    Letslose99 Posts: 6 Member
    When you say 'Join my 5K challenge', how would that work? I am keen to join you and get back into swimming, but not sure how that would work since it's unlikely that we are going to the same pool :).
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    surfbug808 wrote: »
    LeiLaura wrote: »
    @LeiLaura How did your goggle work out?

They're great, thanks! Still trying to get the tension just right as they're a bit tight still, but MUCH better than using my little girl's! Thank you for asking :)

I'm not a goggle expert, and have normally just bought what I think are called "leisure" goggles. I didn't care what color, as long as I felt the suction. But since then I've used tinted (especially when the sun is at a bright time of day and I need to sight distances, or just see where I'm going for that matter), and competition goggles. The latter are so much lighter and comfortable for me. I don't compete, so I'm not using them to streamline or gain speed or whatever, but because they are less bulky, I prefer them. I snorkel too, which uses a mask. I don't swim in the mask, but a friend of mine who does long-distance uses that (I'm not sure why).

That's interesting, I never heard of competition goggles before, but will be googling them now, thank you!
  • LeiLaura
    Letslose99 wrote: »
    When you say 'Join my 5K challenge', how would that work? I am keen to join you and get back into swimming, but not sure how that would work since it's unlikely that we are going to the same pool :).

Welcome! I just meant join me in spirit :) You have joined simply by joining this thread! I'll be honest, I'm currently working on my 2k challenge, so 5k might be a while! But it was more about wanting folk to support each other to improve our swimming endurance, and give tips on how to make the experience more comfortable/enjoyable. Your challenge is whatever you want it to be, and we'll be here cheering you on :)
  • Letslose99
    Letslose99 Posts: 6 Member

Welcome! I just meant join me in spirit :) You have joined simply by joining this thread! I'll be honest, I'm currently working on my 2k challenge, so 5k might be a while! But it was more about wanting folk to support each other to improve our swimming endurance, and give tips on how to make the experience more comfortable/enjoyable. Your challenge is whatever you want it to be, and we'll be here cheering you on :)

Cool. Good luck. I'll get back into the pool on Monday. Thanks for the motivation.
  • LeiLaura

Cool. Good luck. I'll get back into the pool on Monday. Thanks for the motivation.

Let us know how it goes!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    How's the 2km barrier looking? :) I still tend to find my boredom spikes around the 15 and 50 lap count lol

This thread is great, has really inspired me to get back to my longer swims :D
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    I swim in a short course pool measured in yards because the U.S. won't give up the standard system for some reason. Anyway, I swam 5000 yards today (close enough) in 1 hour 26 minutes including all my stops. I reckon another 7 minutes for a full 5km.
  • shalsing
    shalsing Posts: 3 Member
    Hi
    I swim about an hour daily - it’s a great form of exercise This winter I swam in a heated pool - so I do my workout timewise Today for instance I swam 75 minutes - it’s great for body mind n “ me time”
    I am not sure how much 5 miles will b in my pool - but I can check
  • beerfoamy
    How goes it? :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    I would never ever ever swim 5k in a 25 yard pool. Aside from mixing imperial and metric units, my brain would rebel and I would start cursing myself on each flip turn. I can barely stand doing a 1.6k 25 yards at a time (if it’s even possible).

And, my longest open water to date is a 4K. In a wetsuit in freezing cold salt water. It was supposed to be 2 miles but someone screwed the course up!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited October 2019
    I would never ever ever swim 5k in a 25 yard pool. Aside from mixing imperial and metric units, my brain would rebel and I would start cursing myself on each flip turn. I can barely stand doing a 1.6k 25 yards at a time (if it’s even possible).

And, my longest open water to date is a 4K. In a wetsuit in freezing cold salt water. It was supposed to be 2 miles but someone screwed the course up!

Just make the conversion to yards before you start, then swim for yards/laps. But really, that’s a lot of laps. 🤪

PS 5k=5500 yds or 220 lengths of a 25 yd pool
  • Raven_Vera
    Raven_Vera Posts: 7 Member
    Hej LeiLaura! I love swimming and going regularly, 2 to 3 times a week. And do a 1km swim mostly that takes me almoste a hour. Changing from back stroke to breast stroke and crawl to not get bored :). I know your pain when the pool is closed of for others. For example i used to go to a pool, and then it was mostly reserved for other classes and people on regular opening times. so basicly the only thing you could use was the kids pool.. This was frustrating a lot. Now me and my bf (he started swimming to), going to a pool close by, its small but they have often opening times for only adults and then there are more lanes to go swim laps in. And we found out they have a small gym aswell. So now we pay a montly sub, to go both gym and pool. And absolutly love it! I think 5k is way to much for me right now. But maybe i can join in to your 2k practice? how are you doing it now? you just go to the pool and stay till you finish the 2k?
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    I think you've already figured this out but 5k swimming is way more hardcore than a 5k run.

Doable, but closer to a half marathon than a 5k...
  • lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    edited November 2019
    IM IN! I’ve been looking for something to really push me and I think this is it. I love swimming and am starting coaching a team next month so this would be perfect for me to have my own personal swimming goal. Anyone else up for it add me on here and let’s motivate each other. Ps it would be 100 laps for me. I’m lucky to have access to a 50m pool. I swim about 40 plus laps now only with sets so not continuously. I’ll have to get there first which if I start swimming 4-5 times a week I’ll give myself a month to get there.
  • babajarox
    babajarox Posts: 13 Member
    I would like to join that challange 🐳! I started swimming in 25m pool 2 months ago (since I stopped playing basketball) and my workout for now is 3k's in one hour and 15 minutes... I started at 500m...It goes really fast up... I newer felt better, my joints are not hurt anymore. Good result for amateur swimmer in 5k would bee 2 hours, i think... and I newer thought about listening music while swimming, I love sound of water splashing around (and I'm becoming addicted to clorine sent 😛)...
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    I'm still swimming leisurely 2km in ocean, no fins and some chop... almost continuously. I like that we are all challenging ourselves to go a little further - whatever that means for each of us. I think the next challenge for myself would just to do 3km then... or maybe start with 2.5km as my incremental goal, and if I can get to 3km easily then I'll just keep going!

A friend of mine who did competitive ocean swimming said he used to use gel packs to go long distances, but got sick of them (the taste I think). So, he carried a small container of black coffee in his pocket instead, for the energy boost.

Anyone use any particular energizers for long-distance swimming?

Or, if you are at the pool, what do you do to sustain yourself over long workouts (before or during)?
  • beerfoamy
    Am only in the pool so cannot comment on open water stuff.
    I use SIS gels for long swims. Usually start off fasted (generally large pizza night before), swim 2.5km, have a gel, swim another 2.5km, have another gel, etc til I am done. Lots of water throughout too.
    Then on drive home I may swing by a drive thru and inhale a couple of burgers lol
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    LeiLaura, your enthusiasm is certainly infectious. I'm an occasional long course triathlete so I'm usually putting in 3000 yards per workout 3x/week. Each workout takes me about 75 minutes.

I'd recommend breaking your workout into sets focused on improving specific areas (technique, fitness, endurance, different strokes), instead of just a single long swim. Not only will it make it more interesting but will be better for you in terms of improving faster and keeping your focus while you are swimming. I also have fins and paddles with a pull buoy to incorporate kick only sets and pull only sets. Working out becomes much more interesting and you will see faster improvement in your times, verses just slogging out the laps with no purpose. I would also highly recommend checking to see if there are any Masters swim clubs in your area. Getting feedback from a coach on technique is invaluable (and providing workout plans) plus having camaraderie of other swimmers is more fun.

For a swim goggle recommendation, I have had good success with Aquasphere brand and their Kaiman and Kayenne lines. They are quite comfortable, don't leak, last a long time and have a very good line of sight. They also come in women-specific models so they will fit a smaller face well. Not particularly cheap (~$20 USD) but very worthwhile.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/swim-goggles-c9619/

Best of luck!

• beerfoamy
    bump - how is it going @LeiLaura ? :) sorted the 2km?
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    bump - how is it going @LeiLaura ? :) sorted the 2km?

Wondering the same. I swim with Masters and the fast lanes get in roughly 5k during our longer 1.5 hour practices. Us kids in the slow lanes hit about 75% of that. It does get mundane in a 25yd pool.