Keto Bread/Carbs Too Grainy and Dry. Help!!

Options
Selendraco
Selendraco Posts: 41 Member
I tried to make the keto bread, keto brownies, keto pancakes and keto cookies.

It all comes out grainy and dry, completely inedible.
Does someone have tips or a really good recipe when it doesn't come out grainy?
My next try will be with gelatin, hopefully that will work, but if anyone has anything else
please help. I am still a month into it, and for some reason the bread piece is really getting to me
this time. I was on keto previously and lasted three months with no problems or urges for
bread like items.

This time I miss chewing bread and having something dry and grainy that's "breadlike" is not
cutting it this time.

Thanks!

Replies

• gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just rely on mug bread or chaffles for sandwich purposes. I have heard that you can buy extra fine almond flour but I'm wondering if processing it that much would turn almonds into a food that causes high insulin spike?
  • Selendraco
    Selendraco Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I found some tortillas that are 6 net carbs. I think I might have to buy bread which is hella expensive because it's keto. I was hoping to make them to save some money, I do have fine almond and fine coconut. tried them both, I just can't with the gritty feeling in my mouth.
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Mission carb cutter tortillas are only 3 net carbs if you can find them.
  • NCSophie
    NCSophie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love the low-carb tortillas, but be sure to read the ingredients, they can be a little iffy. The ones from Mission that I've seen have trans fats in them. It's low so they don't have to list in the nutrition info, but it's still in the ingredients list. I've been getting the Ole brand recently.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Cloud bread. (You can also make it with cream cheese, but sour cream is SO much easier!) Works great as a bun/roll/wrap.
    https://theprimitivepalate.com/2016/02/04/better-oopsie-rolls-cloud-bread/

This is a decent microwave sandwich bread:
    https://sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-microwave-bread/

This makes a loaf of bread which almost passes ;)
    https://sugarfreelondoner.com/low-carb-bread-chia-almond-bread/
  • AzarielMoon
    AzarielMoon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've tried a very similar cloud bread recipe. It had chives and pepper in it. Was quite yummy as a quick snack while racing out the door to work.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Look on YouTube for ketoconnect cheddar bay biscuit... My fave keto "baked" good besides pb cookies
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite mug bread so far and I’ve tried lots. It’s a little more moist and holds together well with the extra psyllium.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/keto-90-second-bread-recipe/
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    great thread! Thanks for sharing all your ideas. Looking forward to trying these.

I've been sick all this week, and yesterday I was like, my body is desperate for carbs, and I just said, fine, body, have what you want to fight off this terrible sick. So I hit 100 net carbs. Yikes! Back on the wagon today, but I feel like if I had some of these keto bread options yesterday, I might have made better choices.
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    This has been my favourite mug cake so far too. I’ve found most are too dense and bitter and crumbly but this was moist and delicious. I ate the whole thing lol

https://sugarfreelondoner.com/keto-peanut-butter-mug-cake/
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    @ ploomka
    I found an info graphic regarding cravings. Thought I should share 😁
    0kkdnz2x4wq3.jpeg
  • ploomka
    Options
    @herblovinmom what a neat chart!! Thank you for sharing.

So I made those cloud bread rolls yesterday. Turned out pretty good! Definitely needed to bake for more like 50 minutes at 300F tho.

Check out this awesome burger pic with cloud bread bun!

bkqbhruwqdxa.png
  • AmyG1982
    Options
    ploomka wrote: »
    @herblovinmom what a neat chart!! Thank you for sharing.

So I made those cloud bread rolls yesterday. Turned out pretty good! Definitely needed to bake for more like 50 minutes at 300F tho.

Check out this awesome burger pic with cloud bread bun!

bkqbhruwqdxa.png

What was the texture like? I’ve been afraid to try them cuz they look like meringue to me lol
  • ploomka
    Options
    AmyG1982 wrote: »
    What was the texture like? I’ve been afraid to try them cuz they look like meringue to me lol

They are like a really soft fluffy hamburger bun. Definitely a lot firmer than meringue. And they have kind of a cheddar bread taste to them. Be careful putting something too wet on them. Also be sure to bake them long enough, and let them cool all the way before using them. The first ones were too soft but with an extra 10 minutes baking, they were much better.

If you have a hand mixer and parchment paper, they are so super easy to try making, and if you hate it, it's only 3 eggs and 6 tablespoons of sour cream wasted.