Grams of carbs

Hi I was low in potassium so I thought I would have some cream of tartar and I looked at the macros and realised that something doesn't add up I'm not sure the science about it but 1 gram of cream of tartar apparently has 6.2 grams of carbohydrates how can something have more grams of something than its own weight

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Are you talking about an entry you found in the mfp database? The database is mostly user entered, and there are a lot of bad entries. You need to check them to the label or published info from solid online sources. From what I can see, a serving is 3 grams and has almost 2 grams of carbs.

This also affects your potassium numbers. Many people don't track micros so they don't enter them when they create food entries. You shouldn't supplement individual micros, especially minerals, based on your food diary here unless you are carefully checking each entry you use for all the nutrients.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I would be VERY careful supplementing potassium. There is a reason even vitamin and pill supplements tend to only include potassium in low doses. It's dangerous to over supplement. Many food entries here don't include potassium in the info, so your numbers will look artificially lower than they actually are. Here is an example of an eating day where I didn't really focus on potassium-rich foods and still got over 4000 mg of it:
    wluepiur1l7x.png
    kg34k29rlfw0.png

• alexandravictoria88
    alexandravictoria88 Posts: 138 Member
    I would be VERY careful supplementing potassium. There is a reason even vitamin and pill supplements tend to only include potassium in low doses. It's dangerous to over supplement. Many food entries here don't include potassium in the info, so your numbers will look artificially lower than they actually are. Here is an example of an eating day where I didn't really focus on potassium-rich foods and still got over 4000 mg of it:
    wluepiur1l7x.png
    kg34k29rlfw0.png

What app is that if you dont mind me asking ?
  • JenniferM1234
    JenniferM1234 Posts: 173 Member
    edited October 2019
    That looks like it might be the Lose It app, but I don't have it, just seen screenshots floating around here before. @alexandravictoria88
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    wluepiur1l7x.png
    kg34k29rlfw0.png

What app is that if you dont mind me asking ?

That's cronometer, the screenshot is from the desktop version