Over 60 still trying

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am loving this cooler weather and long walks with the dogs. This is my favorite time for bike riding also. Got a cortisone shot in my knee yesterday which should help with enjoying it more and more. Have a great day. I am on week 5 of maintenance. 1 more week and then WW will be free. I love my WW meeting because something about having to weigh in front of others keeps me accountable. Oh, my new favorite snack, Mango spears, oh yummy. Love fall.
  • Marquesa33
    Marquesa33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I am just getting started. I love the name of this group. Still trying is right! I am finding I cannot keep on doing low carb - too restrictive and boring. I just turned 71. I'm super busy with two careers, but I make my own schedule. I know I need to get out and walk. Somehow 1600 calories seems like too much. Do you really lose weight with that? Any tips appreciated.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Marquesa33 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone! I am just getting started. I love the name of this group. Still trying is right! I am finding I cannot keep on doing low carb - too restrictive and boring. I just turned 71. I'm super busy with two careers, but I make my own schedule. I know I need to get out and walk. Somehow 1600 calories seems like too much. Do you really lose weight with that? Any tips appreciated.

It will depend on your current size, and how active your life is (normal daily stuff, not exercise). I lost a good share of my weight in the 1400-1600 range, and would still lose, though somewhat slowly, at 1600 (5'5", weight in mid-130s, age 63). But I'm mysteriously a good li'l ol' calorie burner, and I know that there are people whose weight is stable at 1600 (i.e., that's their maintenance calories). If it's MFP saying you can lose at 1600, it's highly likely that you can in fact lose at an accurately-tracked 1600. It's close to correct for most people, but there are a few outliers, either on the high or low side (like me, on the high-burn side): That's fairly rare.

I'd suggest that you try it for 4-6 weeks, and see what your results are.

One thing to think about is that MFP is the source of your calorie estimate, that your "activity level" should be how active you are before any intentional exercise, and you eat back a reasonable estimate of the exercise calories in addition. In that situation, a walk or a fun exercise class or something can be a way not only to get in shape, but also eat a bit more while still losing weight. At our age, some strength training can be especially helpful for health, even though it burns relatively few extra calories.

Best wishes!
  • Okiemama57
    Okiemama57 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Would like to connect for support, motivation and tips. I'm 62 and live in Oklahoma.
    Thanks, Pam
  • Longing4Maui
    Longing4Maui Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Finally got back into community but looks like this thread has ended. Thanks to those on here that have helped me, let me know if there is a new similar thread