Non Scale Victories

Replies

• Usman70lbs
    Usman70lbs Posts: 24 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    merph518 wrote: »
    @amkita I did that same thing with work shirts. There was a nice *kitten* designed I liked at DXL (Men's Big and Tall store). I initially got a 4x shirt as a gift, then bought a 3x and a 2x.

Unfortunately, the 2x is getting baggy now (the shirts run a little large) and I don't think they make smaller sizes, so I'll have to find something else going forward.

I have found that my initial excitement of being done with Big and Tall shops is being muted by the fact that I really liked some of the shirts I got from there (design-wise) and I cannot find similar elsewhere. Kingsize has them in my size but I need too many clothes right now to be paying full price for more shirts from which I am going to size down. I don't know for sure but with my frame I am assuming I will stop at the Large size.

How does 'size down' seem as an opposite of "grow out of"? I have struggled finding an opposite expression for a long time.

How about 'shrunk into' or 'shrunk out of'
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    merph518 wrote: »
    @novusdies My wife suggested that I tried shopping at Peter Harris, which sells heavily discounted surplus clothes. I don't know if they have them around you, but I was able to get quite a lot of 2x clothing for not a lot of money.

The downside of the store is that the clothing tends to run small for the size and there's virtually nothing 3x.

Right now I've got my closet split into halves -- left side fits me, right side doesn't yet. I keep trying stuff on intermittently and eventually more from the right side migrates over.

No Peter Harris within 100 miles of me apparently.

I just today got my second shipment from swap.com. My wife and I were really impressed with the first one and it averaged to $10 per item which is not bad since it was mostly long sleeve button downs. I decided to stick to items marked 'Good Condition' or better. The only thing that didn't fit was 2 pairs of 38w pants which I am saving for later. I am 38w in some brands and 40w in others.

I will unpack the second one as soon as my company departs in a hour or so then I just need to do inventory to see what else I am missing.

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    amkita wrote: »
    I'm super excited to be done with Lane Bryant. nearly everything I've ever purchased from them fit terribly. too baggy, or way too tight in just one spot, and not at all flattering. frustrating since they only make plus sizes! :/

right? Not one pair of pants ever fit me right from that store. And they were to expensive and cheaply made.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    papayahed wrote: »

right? Not one pair of pants ever fit me right from that store. And they were to expensive and cheaply made.

agreed! for the amount of money things cost there, the quality should be decent at least! but no. :|
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    I'm super excited to be done with Lane Bryant. nearly everything I've ever purchased from them fit terribly. too baggy, or way too tight in just one spot, and not at all flattering. frustrating since they only make plus sizes! :/

That's awesome! I shop at Catherine's and I generally love their clothes. I'm back and forth about when I will no longer need to shop there. I love the clothes, but not the prices! I've never been a big LB fan, but generally because I find their styles quite boring and incredibly not *me*!!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I got up this morning and tried on some nice slacks I hadn’t worn for a very long time....slid them up over my legs and hips when I realized the waist band had dry rotted lol...I think I need to go shopping because when I looked thru the closet I had six more pair that were in the same shape!.....they all fit but I can’t wear them without a way to hold them up....are suspenders in style? LoL
  • NovusDies
    I got up this morning and tried on some nice slacks I hadn’t worn for a very long time....slid them up over my legs and hips when I realized the waist band had dry rotted lol...I think I need to go shopping because when I looked thru the closet I had six more pair that were in the same shape!.....they all fit but I can’t wear them without a way to hold them up....are suspenders in style? LoL

I went through a suspender phase. I figured having my pants stay on in public was more in style than the suspenders were not. I was stubborn though so I would suggest that you should just enjoy doing some shopping.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    I bought new clothes over the weekend. I was able to fit into large tops and 14/16 pants. I'm having issues with my mind catching up with my body. For the first time in a really long time I don't have to shop at a plus size store. This is great but I am also having a difficult time determining how things should fit. I generally have just been trying to cover my body rather than worry about fit. Now I need to concentrate on fit but I'm not sure what is just "fitted" versus "too tight".
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    michne16 wrote: »
    I bought new clothes over the weekend. I was able to fit into large tops and 14/16 pants. I'm having issues with my mind catching up with my body. For the first time in a really long time I don't have to shop at a plus size store. This is great but I am also having a difficult time determining how things should fit. I generally have just been trying to cover my body rather than worry about fit. Now I need to concentrate on fit but I'm not sure what is just "fitted" versus "too tight".

It will take time for your mind to catch up. I still have trouble sometimes and will grab a size too big or will look at something that's a size I wear often and think "there's no way that fits"

Congrats on the new clothes. But I gave up on style a long time ago. I never know how anything is supposed to fit so I just wear whatever.
  • NovusDies
    michne16 wrote: »

I am trying to adjust too. I was never really in style when I weighed far less and while style is not hugely important to me I do want to look put together for a change not thrown together. I have bought a lot of clothes but I have not worn a single item that could make me look slightly sharper out of the house yet. That is not entirely fat brain because I am going to the doctor often and wearing relaxed clothes means I can leave more on during the procedures. However, some of it is fat brain.
  • Elliephantcrossing
    Elliephantcrossing Posts: 338 Member
    I'm trying REALLY hard to cut sugar from my diet. While I haven't been 100% successful (as sugars exist in a lot of things), small things like eliminating junk food and drinking coffee sugar-free are big NSVs for me. The efforts are starting to show. :D

August 29, 2019 vs. October 23, 2019
    8dldpeiopyn1.jpg
  • Elliephantcrossing

I HATE Lane Bryant's fit. I always felt frumpy. This year, I started shopping at Torrid and I found clothes that worked better for me and actually gave me some more confidence.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    edited October 2019
    I HATE Lane Bryant's fit. I always felt frumpy. This year, I started shopping at Torrid and I found clothes that worked better for me and actually gave me some more confidence.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt this way! I never tried stuff from Torrid, I just generally avoided buying clothes.
  • Elliephantcrossing

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt this way! I never tried stuff from Torrid, I just generally avoided buying clothes.

Torrid's a bit on the high side, but when they have sales, they have SALES. It's nice to be able to dress for my size while still feeling cute (and sometimes sexy). Their leggings are the best! Honestly, I think their clothes are part of the reason why I decided to really commit to better health and fitness because I got to see myself as a person instead of someone who needs to hide in boxy and, at times, unflattering clothes. It's weird, but the brand shift actually helped me to see a *little* bit of self-worth. Of course, that's just my experience. ^^;
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    My Newest NSV is the shirt I am wearing today. I loved this cross cut bright purple shirt. I wore it all the time. I then put on the weight. I put it on a few weeks ago and it was so tight and ugly I immediately took it off.

I pulled it out of the closet this morning and it looks great on me today!! The scale is not cooperating how I would like this week (only down little bit) so this made me feel great!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    It's the jeans, it's always about the jeans, and yesterday on a whim I tried on a pair that I had shoved to the back of the closet as too tight. Tried them on and no sucking it in to zip or button - WAY TO GO! Is there a jean emoji?!