Newbie here, any advice?

Hey there! I’m new to all of this. Exercise and nutrition. I am currently over 230 lbs and really want to get my life back in my control. I’m going to try my best in keeping my food in the calories I should be eating. But are there any tips on which exercises are best to lose weight? Or even snack, meal ideas etc? I’m enrolling in a gym tomorrow so hopefully I can have enough discipline to keep at it!

Replies

• WARRIOR4EVER31
    WARRIOR4EVER31 Posts: 2 Member
    Take it one day at a time. Log everything focus on one thing at a time food then add excercise. Food is most important.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Start slow. Make small changes. Trying to overhaul your whole lifestyle overnight will probably end up on frustration and burn out.

Diet is most important when it comes to weight loss. You can’t out exercise a bad diet. So start by weighing and tracking all your food.

As for what exercise to do. I think it’s most important that you find something you enjoy. Whatever you are most likely to keep doing is what will be most effective. Personally, I like to do a good mix of cardio and strength training. I run (couch to 5K is a popular program to get started if you are interested in running), though swimming is probably my favorite I just don’t have access to a pool. And I usually do 2 total body strength training workouts each week.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Someone once told me something that I later discovered to be very true: You have more weight to lose than you think and its going to take longer than you think.

Don't assign an I-want-to-weigh-this-much-by-this-date deadline. Take the time to break old habits and instill new habits. Once you have that down, things will start moving in the right direction.

Remember, this takes time. A long time. Losing weight isn't a 1 week, 2 week or even 1 month or 2 month thing. It can take years.

Enjoy your journey.
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    I have found that reading up on the community forums for the pinned posts are really informative. Learn from others wins and losses. Really learn how to properly measure ie weigh your food and log it all. As for exercise, move everyday and find something you love and will stick to. I am tackling things one at a time because it can get overwhelming.
  • amberlynnclark
    amberlynnclark Posts: 1 Member
    My best advice would be to log EVERYTHING. I struggled with this at the beginning of my weight loss journey and it took longer than I’d like to admit for me to realize just how many calories I was eating. Cooking oils, condiments, even some multivitamins have more calories than you think, and it’s important to know just how many you’re taking in.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    I learned that a healthy lifestyle can feel like trying to hold a ball under water. It takes diligence, effort, attention and sometimes there will be a slip up. That’s ok.