Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Diet Face" - should we choose face over body or vice versa?

Replies

• unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    After a bit of digging I’m going to chalk up “diet face” to complete and utter ignorance and impatience. I get that the aesthetic can be unpleasant, but most people can avoid it by losing weight sensibly: slow and steady with nutritional dietary choices (exercise of course will help as well!)
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Ok, the what is diet face.
    It’s the gaunt, sunken, wrinkled look you get when you initially lose weight.

Here is an example.
    Left is mid 40’s pre weight gain, so same weight as I am now.
    Centre was a year or so ago with my mid 60’s face. Nicely settled into its lack of fat and multitude of wrinkles.
    Right is my mid 50’s face just after I had lost weight. Gaunt, angular, hollow eyed and wrinkled.

x1pjrucqiw2l.jpeg

Cheers, h.

(I couldn’t get the whole article either. I did google her and found she is 3years older than me, just to give the aging face as well as weight loss context)

Is that really diet face? Or just natural aging.

I don’t get what a diet face is... does this only happen to people who are older- ish in age?

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    edited October 2019
    LAT1963 wrote: »
    Middlehaich--sorry I can't really discern what you are talking about. To me those just look like pics at 40's, 50's, 60's. Also, you have a cute face, lucky you, work it gurll!
    Centre was a year or so ago with my mid 60’s face. Nicely settled into its lack of fat and multitude of wrinkles.
    Right is my mid 50’s face just after I had lost weight. Gaunt, angular, hollow eyed and wrinkled.

She said the middle picture she's in her 60's, the one on the right her 50's. Her skin does seem to have tightened after a few years of maintenance which is encouraging. She looks like she's "aging" backwards. :wink:

• healingnurtrer
    vanityy99 wrote: »

Here is an example.

x1pjrucqiw2l.jpeg

Cheers, h.

(I couldn’t get the whole article either. I did google her and found she is 3years older than me, just to give the aging face as well as weight loss context)

I don’t get what a diet face is... does this only happen to people who are older- ish in age?

I remember a thread on here awhile ago there was a girl in her 20's struggling to accept her skin's appearance after weight loss. She was happy with her health improvements but sad about her appearance. I hope it improved in time for her. I don't think everyone experiences this.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member

Here is an example.

x1pjrucqiw2l.jpeg

Cheers, h.

I remember a thread on here awhile ago there was a girl in her 20's struggling to accept her skin's appearance after weight loss. She was happy with her health improvements but sad about her appearance. I hope it improved in time for her. I don't think everyone experiences this.

I agree. I think it's most common for women, and those who are either a little older and/or didn't have a lot of excess fat on their faces such as very full cheeks and double chins. I think I had a comparatively "thin" face for my morbidly obese body and no double chin etc...therefore I noticed a more aged look to my post-weight loss face, despite being "just" mid-30s. For example, fine lines & wrinkles tend to show up a little more especially around the forehead, eyes & mouth then you lose weight at an older age and by that I mean anything from 35 like I was, to 60s and older.

Just my .02
  • bb_twins
    bb_twins Posts: 11 Member
    I think I have a petite face naturally. I’m 5’3. At my lowest (132) my face looked kinda gauntley and old! I also had flaccid flap-jack boobies but thats another story for another day. Oh, and I had bad iron-deficiency. Gaining back 50 pounds has fixed those “problems” but I’m now obese again. Go figure
  • vanityy99

Here is an example.

x1pjrucqiw2l.jpeg

Cheers, h.

Was she complaining about her face though ? Or her body?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I didn't have to choose. I like being a little bit fat, and with that comes having a little bit more fat in the face.
  • healingnurtrer

Here is an example.

x1pjrucqiw2l.jpeg

Cheers, h.

Her skin in general but especially her facial skin
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Does the perception work differently for evaluating men? I already have strong cheekbones (I actually was told I could not do LASIK because the blade would not work with how deep set my eyes are), and yet have never been thought old looking whether fat or thin. I tend to actually have problems with having my age underestimated; I've had multiple instances of people asking if my sons are my younger brothers.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    I would rather have the body I want, since my face is skinny and bony anyway. That's just how it naturally is. When I was at my highest ever weight, my face still looked like it belonged on a scrawny body. I just don't gain weight in my face.
  • vanityy99

Here is an example.

x1pjrucqiw2l.jpeg

Cheers, h.

Her skin in general but especially her facial skin

Ok. I only had 15lbs to lose maybe that’s why I didn’t experience the diet face, but if I did.... i think I’d rather gain the 15lbs back and have a healthier looking face.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited October 2019
    It's hard to say because I've never had to lose such a large amount of weight to where it would affect my face. but my body tends to carry excess weight in my lower half.

I think I'll say body over face. health is more important than how my face looks. The face should get better in time, especially with a good skin care routine I would think?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2019
    Diet face probably happens more to those of us who are older and have lost weight, probably more so if a lot of weight has been lost.

I'm now 50, lost 30lbs back in 2012 and have been maintaining that loss ever since. Because my loss was slow, approx 18 months my face didn't perhaps take the hit it might have done had I chose to lose faster, plus I 'only' had 25-30lbs to lose. I'll choose body over face because its being fit and at a healthy weight which counts IMO and I'm hoping it will help the aging process.
  • Viking_Dad
    Viking_Dad Posts: 185 Member
    I'll take the body and cover the face with a beard (not that it was much to look at in the first place) 😝