30 Day Logging/Limiting Added Sugar Challenge

lemurcat2
lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
This is a continuation of a challenge discussion in another thread (I will link it there).

For anyone who wants to spend 30 days or however long limiting or cutting out added sugar to see if it is helpful or just as a challenge. Also for people who want to use this challenge as an incentive to start logging carefully again!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    As I said in the other thread, this is something I did in January 2014, when I first started, and have done a couple of times since (usually after falling back into some unhelpful snacking habits post holidays). I don't think added sugar is "the devil" or anything, but I found it something that helped me, and also helped me work through some of my control issues and ultimately find a way to moderate sugar without difficulty.

I don't think I'm currently eating much added sugar, but I do want a reason to log better and more consistently, and I like a challenge. Also up for encouraging others or discussing any issues that come up.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited October 2019
    I'm in! Thanks for starting it :)

I'm challenging myself to stay within the WHO suggestion of limited added sugar (which they call "free sugars") to under 5% for 4 weeks, which may start tomorrow.

https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

4 MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

Guideline on sugars intake for adult and children

Free sugars refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    I’m all in - day 6 for me, and will keep going here. I’m feeling the difference already! 👍🏻
  • lemurcat2
    Excellent! I didn't log today (and I had a Kind bar because of breakfast on the run, so that has added sugar), but will now officially start the challenge tomorrow.
  • kshama2001
    Because I was not including the figure for calories per gram, I was initially confused about the math for getting the limit of added sugar grams per X calories, so will put the formula here in case others are curious:

(2,000 calories * 0.05%) / 4 calories per gram = 25 g of added sugar

(1,500 calories * 0.05%) / 4 calories per gram = 18.75 g of added sugar

(1,200 calories * 0.05%) / 4 calories per gram = 15 g of added sugar
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hi All!

Thanks for starting the thread @lemurcat2 and the inspiration for the challenge @SuperMotivated56 !

I’m using this also as a way to tighten my logging and overall sugar intake. I had 10.4 grams of total sugars today. No added sugars or sweeteners. (Are we saying no stevia or alike as well?)

I’ve found the only item I typically miss is ketchup!

@kshama2001 - thanks for the info on free sugars!

🌻
  • lemurcat2
    I think we should define the challenge for ourselves wrt things like artificial sugar. Sometimes avoiding them can be helpful because of just getting out of the habit of expecting a sweet taste at certain times. For others, it might make it harder than necessary (maybe if you are someone who just wants a bit of extra sweetness in oats or coffee).

I think I'm at least going to start without them, which basically means no diet soda, as that's my main source.

On the other hand, I'm not going to be super picky if I use a spice blend with a little added sugar or some sriracha (I bought a few spice blends at a spice place recently and am anxious to try them and think a couple may have a bit of sugar). I will report it if I use it, though!
  • Safari_Gal_
    Great 💡 idea @lemurcat2 !
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    Sounds perfect and reasonable to me, while still being enough of a challenge 😃🏃🏼‍♀️
  • lrachwitz
    lrachwitz Posts: 7 Member
    I’m in. Sugar is my biggest weakness. For most of my adult life I’ve been fairly successful at excersizing enough self control to keep it under wraps, but the last 4 years has seen that go right out the window, lol. At 53 years of age, it may be hormones undermining me, but regardless, it’s a real struggle. Diabetes and cancer run in the family, so I can’t be too careless with what I put into my body. 😬
  • lemurcat2
    Welcome!

Breakfast and lunch logged for me (lunch prelogged), and dinner mostly made (last night, just needs to be heated), so today should be an easy one (knock on wood!). I just remembered that I'm traveling a little this weekend and then next week (how many days is uncertain), so that is going to be the biggest challenge with logging/food choices.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I'm going to do this challenge, starting tomorrow (Friday) at 70 grams and reducing by 10% per day
  • lemurcat2
    Yesterday logged, no added sugar. Also lower carb overall than I realized, although I think yesterday was just an unusual day for me, since I didn't have fruit or dairy (not intentionally, just happened). Getting back into logging and seeing what my macros actually are currently should be interesting.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Hi all!

This adventure is making me look at my logging and nutrients more carefully. I logged 24 total sugars yesterday. No added sugars.
    The total 24 came from: plain Greek yogurt, plain cream in coffee, blueberries and red peppers with dinner. Interesting I had more total sugar from my dairy then from the fruit and veg!

Happy logging! 🌞
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    I'm going to do this challenge, starting tomorrow (Friday) at 70 grams and reducing by 10% per day

I've done roughly 70g today. Tomorrow is 63 grams.
  • lemurcat2
    Two days logged, no added sugar. Today will be more challenging since I am going to an event where I will be eating out for lunch and dinner. So there may be a bit of sugar in a sauce or something I can't control depending on my options, but I will avoid anything where that's obvious, and of course dessert.

I will also estimate what I eat vs. just not logging since I hate trying to estimate.
  • kshama2001
    threewins wrote: »

Great idea about gradually reducing!

I haven't officially started yet, just getting a baseline. Wednesday was eye-opening, if somewhat skewed because I am more indulgent at this TOM. But after looking at Wed I managed to significantly reduce for yesterday.

10/23: 85 g
    10/24: 48 g

Today, if I make additional changes, including keeping out of the Halloween candy, I'd be at 25 g.