What do all of you do ...?

When I was in the weight loss phase, on the very rare occasions I exceeded my daily calorie budget, I would draw a line in the sand for that day and "make up for it" in the next day or next two days that followed i.e. increasing my deficit on that day whether by way of exercise or eating a bit less.

Now that I'm in maintenance, I'm wondering whether I should follow the same approach or whether I just move on and pretend the day didn't exist and start the new day as a new day and eat my full daily budget of calories.

What does everyone else do? In the scheme of things I know it doesn't matter - my weight fluctuates like everyone else's and ultimately, a day or two here and there really don't seem to affect my weight overall, it's more just trying to figure out what my approach should be.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    Your approach of balancing things out sounds like a winner to me.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    When I was in the weight loss phase, on the very rare occasions I exceeded my daily calorie budget, I would draw a line in the sand for that day and "make up for it" in the next day or next two days that followed i.e. increasing my deficit on that day whether by way of exercise or eating a bit less.

Now that I'm in maintenance, I'm wondering whether I should follow the same approach or whether I just move on and pretend the day didn't exist and start the new day as a new day and eat my full daily budget of calories.

What does everyone else do? In the scheme of things I know it doesn't matter - my weight fluctuates like everyone else's and ultimately, a day or two here and there really don't seem to affect my weight overall, it's more just trying to figure out what my approach should be.

I do exactly as you did while losing. "Maintenance" is something my body hasn't grasped. I do need to balance out a night with a cocktail or two with a day of lower calorie intake. And I still weigh myself every day.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    I have become more relaxed about logging and rarely complete my diary.

My breakfast and lunches are pretty consistent, so it is only my evening meal which I need to watch. However this has recently become easier now they I have to keep an eye on my cholesterol.

I have largely given up snacking between meals and I weigh probably every 3-4 weeks and the the weight fluctuates by up to around 5lbs if I am unlucky.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't log and haven't logged in 6.5 years of maintenance. I would wager that I have days where I'm over and days when I'm under. I monitor my weight regularly weighing in a few times per week. My usual maintenance weight averages about 182 with fluctuations either way. I'm currently about 188 which is pretty near the top of my maintenance range and intervention point. I usually hit that later in the winter, but pool parties and such this summer got the best of me so I'll be intervening sooner rather than my usual Feb/March time frame.

5-6 pounds is pretty easy for me to drop and I can do it in about a month if put my mind to it.

You have been a study for me @cwolfman13. I think you are a great example of a body weight settling range. You eat more calorically dense and then just switch up diet and add in a little more activity... bammmm weight just drops back. You are what I am striving for long term. How tall are you btw?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

I don't log and haven't logged in 6.5 years of maintenance. I would wager that I have days where I'm over and days when I'm under. I monitor my weight regularly weighing in a few times per week. My usual maintenance weight averages about 182 with fluctuations either way. I'm currently about 188 which is pretty near the top of my maintenance range and intervention point. I usually hit that later in the winter, but pool parties and such this summer got the best of me so I'll be intervening sooner rather than my usual Feb/March time frame.

5-6 pounds is pretty easy for me to drop and I can do it in about a month if put my mind to it.

You have been a study for me @cwolfman13. I think you are a great example of a body weight settling range. You eat more calorically dense and then just switch up diet and add in a little more activity... bammmm weight just drops back. You are what I am striving for long term. How tall are you btw?

@psychod787

I round up to 5'10", but I'm like 5'9.5"
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member

What does "intervening" entail? Cut out a snack or two? I'd like to say I can manage my weight without counting calories and a lot of times I can but eventually I get lazy and start grabbing snacks more than I should etc and I end up coming back to the ol' myfitnesspal.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    I try to hit daily goals but always hit weekly goals. I know that I'll be high on Friday and go over. But I'll be less hungry the next day. Typically I go over maybe two weeks a year (Christmas to New Years and a random week I'm traveling). But most weeks I'm way under.

You can't just 'get over it' because it's easy to get into that habit. But if you listen to your body I find it naturally evens out over the week.