Confidence to start running in public?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Pssh you should see how ridiculous I look when I run. I have a sports "fanny pack" so-to-speak which has 2 water bottles on it. So I look really silly, but if it's nice out, and I want a nice run outside.. I just turn the music up a little louder. People that cat call or stare or are rude are probably just internally jealous they don't have the same motivation you do.

Go run! :)

My hydration belt looks like a cross between a diaper and a giant jock strap. :laugh:
  • And while it is annoying, more often than not, it's a compliment, so worst things can happen. = )

Right? I wish someone would tell me I "have a nice *kitten*." Jesus. Don't be so sensetive.
  • Also:
    I almost laughed at this, but you're serious. Nobody is paying attention to you unless you're bleeding, passed out, or dead, and then they just want to move you off the track, so they can continue to run.

lmao
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Listen to music then you can't hear anyone!
    this is what I do.... I have no idea if anyone says anything. Ignorance is bliss sometimes.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    And while it is annoying, more often than not, it's a compliment, so worst things can happen. = )

Right? I wish someone would tell me I "have a nice *kitten*." Jesus. Don't be so sensetive.

Worse things can happen definitely, but really it's not a compliment, it's a guy thinking he's all that shouting at women on the street and it can feel very degrading for women!
  • pandabear_
    I live in upper Manhattan, whose men are infamous for ridiculous catcalls. But I love to run, I love to run outside, and no one's gonna stop me from that. My best advice is to simply ignore them. I play totally deaf, and if there's no reaction, it's no fun for them, so they stop. Besides that, you can also find a park to run in/run to. There are usually a lot of other people in the park, who are all a) trying to get in shape just like you and b) are too concerned with their workouts to bother you.

And while it is annoying, more often than not, it's a compliment, so worst things can happen. = )

I'm glad you understand!

Thank you, that's very good advice. I do always ignore them! :D
    Does you Uni have a running club? That would be a good place to start as there would be a safety in numbers mentality.

As for the comments, whilst you shouldn't have to put up with them treat it as a NSV, try and take the positive out of it .

I think it might do, that's a good tip. Maybe I should join the running club and then I'll have more motivation to continue running.
    Pssh you should see how ridiculous I look when I run. I have a sports "fanny pack" so-to-speak which has 2 water bottles on it. So I look really silly, but if it's nice out, and I want a nice run outside.. I just turn the music up a little louder. People that cat call or stare or are rude are probably just internally jealous they don't have the same motivation you do.

Go run! :)

That really made me laugh! I have one of those running belts also, but the lady at the sports shop said to put it on backwards, so the 'pack' bit will be in the small of your back and less obvious.
    But I realized that while I am a walking example of Murphy's Law, I'm also far more likely to hurt myself at home doing something "safe." Like the time I nearly broke my foot making the bed, or when I threw out my back cleaning up cat vomit. So I just take my phone with me, and *knock on wood* haven't had any problems at all.

I haven't had any cat calls while running, but I do get "Why don't you get a REAL dog?" all the time when walking my Pekingese. He barks, he wags his tail, he eats dog food... I'm pretty sure he's a real dog. A very short, funny looking one, but very real.

How did you manage to break your foot and put your back out? Haha!

I love Pekingese, very cute!
  • ilike2run
    ilike2run Posts: 34 Member
    if men are wolf whistling and shouting...your "*kitten*" has no reason to hide. i say go for it!!!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    So, you spend all day and all night logging calories, exercising, and trying to look good just to feel embarrassed when somebody compliments you? The side-effect of what you're doing is looking hot, as if you didn't know. Why spend all the time to lose the weight, if looking incredible may draw attention? Because when I see a woman, old or young, wearing something nice, looking good, and in shape, I might be inclined to pay a compliment to some part of her anatomy, especially if she took the time to expound on that particular part of her body more than others. If a simple compliment hurts your feeling, maybe dressing in potato sacks and eating at McDonald's four days out of the week is the solution to your problem. Even so, there are always those guys who like a healthy woman wearing potato sacks.
  • loved1
    loved1 Posts: 206 Member
    I think about the contestats on the TV show the biggest loser when I'm running. I feel like if they can run in front of the world & become strong enough to finish marathons then I can do it too.
  • pandabear_
    So, you spend all day and all night logging calories, exercising, and trying to look good just to feel embarrassed when somebody compliments you? The side-effect of what you're doing is looking hot, as if you didn't know. Why spend all the time to lose the weight, if looking incredible may draw attention? Because when I see a woman, old or young, wearing something nice, looking good, and in shape, I might be inclined to pay a compliment to some part of her anatomy, especially if she took the time to expound on that particular part of her body more than others. If a simple compliment hurts your feeling, maybe dressing in potato sacks and eating at McDonald's four days out of the week is the solution to your problem. Even so, there are always those guys who like a healthy woman wearing potato sacks.

Well, I'm sorry but it is a sexist derogatory remark and paying compliments is different from shouting across the street at a woman, I have had men say when passing: "You have a nice smile", that is different. THAT is a compliment. Being shouted at across the street is not.

It's as good as shouting: "You're a sex object for me, some stranger on the street, to shout things at!"

I'm not losing weight to look "hot" for creepy perverts to shout sexist things at me. I don't walk around in lingerie, so I don't expect to be treated like some girl at a strip club dancing around for men, when really I'm just someone walking to the supermarket.

I am a person, not an object and I deserve respect.
  • I am a person, not an object and I deserve respect.

I wish someone would respect my personness by treating me like a sex object.
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Back to the running, as you're in London try parkrun, www.parkrun.org.uk

They have 5k runs all over the place and are great to get back into running
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    I actually laugh at the people who are sitting on their butt or driving and staring, I see it as im out here gettin healthy while they do nothin but stare
  • pandabear_
    Back to the running, as you're in London try parkrun, www.parkrun.org.uk

They have 5k runs all over the place and are great to get back into running

Thank you, that looks like a great website and my nearest park is listed which is great! Apparently every Sunday they do a 5k run.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Absolutely! I was seriously overweight and very unfit. I could barely run 100m when I started!

But now that I'm 125lbs or so and running 10+ miles it's very clear that absolutely no one is watching me. And no one ever has been. And when I see someone just starting out, huffing and puffing, or just plain struggling, I feel such a connection with them and a desire to high-five and tell them what an awesome job they are doing! I am so inspired and impressed. Even now, it pushes me. I see people just starting out and I want to tell them "keep going, work hard, stay focused, and you will reap the rewards!". It always inspires me to stick with it, finish my run, and real strive to reach my potential.

We really have no idea what we're capable of if we give it 110%. You will surprise yourself. And a year from now you won't even be able to believe you were ever embarrassed to run in public! You'll be dying to run, anywhere, and if somebody's watching it'll be in awe and amazement at your dedication to health and fitness.
  • PhilipByrne
    PhilipByrne Posts: 276 Member

Well, I'm sorry but it is a sexist derogatory remark and paying compliments is different from shouting across the street at a woman, I have had men say when passing: "You have a nice smile", that is different. THAT is a compliment. Being shouted at across the street is not.

It's as good as shouting: "You're a sex object for me, some stranger on the street, to shout things at!"

I'm not losing weight to look "hot" for creepy perverts to shout sexist things at me. I don't walk around in lingerie, so I don't expect to be treated like some girl at a strip club dancing around for men, when really I'm just someone walking to the supermarket.

Okay, I've never wolf-whistled or shouted at a woman in the street, it's not my style. But seriously, get over yourself.
  • ursy87
    ursy87 Posts: 287
    The parkruns are great. On every week and all shapes sizes,ages and abilities at my local one. It'll get you used to running outdoors in a similar group of folk.
    When I ran regularly (just restarting again after a 4 year lay off) I joined a twice weekly jogging network, that was run by our local council, or meet ups run by Jog Scotland (perhaps you have similar in London?) - also loads of different folk, I was usually at the back with one of the organisers! It was a good safe way of being out, and yes, 40 folk running down the road would attract attention and car horns and shouts, but a cheery wave and smile of acknowledgement and we would move on.
    I'm not saying its okay for folk to comment on your *kitten*,but as long as you aren't in danger, there isn't much that can be done, there's always gonna be people that think they can comment on anything and what they percieve to be a compliment isn't bugging the person they are directing it towards - if someone shouted 'nice *kitten*' at me, I would immediately think they were making a fool of me:happy:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

I'm worried about being stared at or wolf-whistled etc? I live in central London and the other day some guy shouted: "Nice *kitten*" at me when I was in jeans and just walking from the train station! :(

that's a bad thing?????
  • pandabear_

Okay, I've never wolf-whistled or shouted at a woman in the street, it's not my style. But seriously, get over yourself.

Get over myself? Are you joking?

In this society where women are constantly made to feel afraid of men who might rape them, being wolf-whistled and a guy shouting out his sexual desire to you on the street, is scary. It's not complimentary. Especially in a city and when you're on your own, the danger is heightened and so is your fear. There is nothing you can do except ignore them, if you shout back you are shouted at some more or thought of as 'feisty', yet again something sexual. It ruins your day and your night. The man who has done it has invaded your privacy, they have scared you and degraded you. You feel unsafe and afraid, just walking in the street.

It is degrading and objectifies women. Yeah, I'll get over myself, because being scared that I might be attacked is a stupid thing.
  • pandabear_
    Absolutely! I was seriously overweight and very unfit. I could barely run 100m when I started!

But now that I'm 125lbs or so and running 10+ miles it's very clear that absolutely no one is watching me. And no one ever has been. And when I see someone just starting out, huffing and puffing, or just plain struggling, I feel such a connection with them and a desire to high-five and tell them what an awesome job they are doing! I am so inspired and impressed. Even now, it pushes me. I see people just starting out and I want to tell them "keep going, work hard, stay focused, and you will reap the rewards!". It always inspires me to stick with it, finish my run, and real strive to reach my potential.

We really have no idea what we're capable of if we give it 110%. You will surprise yourself. And a year from now you won't even be able to believe you were ever embarrassed to run in public! You'll be dying to run, anywhere, and if somebody's watching it'll be in awe and amazement at your dedication to health and fitness.

Thank you, that was very inspiring! And you're the weight that I would like to be, so obviously running works wonders! :D