Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Giving Out Candy on Halloween Adding to the Obesity Problem?

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
I was just sitting here thinking about the probably 10k calories of candy the average kid might be taking home.

It is generally pretty cold does anyone make a pot of soup and give it out in cups?

What are other good alternatives? Seaweed snacks? They are green. Maybe fiber one bars? Or should a person focus on protein? I have a bunch of squid that I could smoke. That seems Halloween-ish.

Discuss.

Replies

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,636 Member
    edited October 2019
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I was just sitting here thinking about the probably 10k calories of candy the average kid might be taking home.

It is generally pretty cold does anyone make a pot of soup and give it out in cups?

What are other good alternatives? Seaweed snacks? They are green. Maybe fiber one bars? Or should a person focus on protein? I have a bunch of squid that I could smoke. That seems Halloween-ish.

Discuss.

Ask and you shall receive
    https://www.candystore.com/blog/facts-trivia/10-insane-japanese-snacks-will-haunt-nightmares/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,950 Member

Discuss.

Totally ignoring the issue of how kids would respond to receiving something other than candy:

If parents won't let their kids eat unwrapped treats, home-wrapped bags of loose candy, or homemade treats like caramel apples, I sincerely doubt they'd let them consume cups of soup or home-smoked squid.

It also seems very inconvenient if everybody were to start handing out food that had to be eaten on the spot. How many houses would kids go to if everything they received needed to be consumed immediately? I imagine it would turn into alternating stops for food with tricks that could be dangerous or illegal.

All that said, I recall receiving the small snack size boxes of raisins, small coins, and (from the dentist in the neighborhood) toothbrushes, dental floss, and sugarless gum.
  • NovusDies
    lkpducky wrote: »

Discuss.

Ask and you shall receive
    https://www.candystore.com/blog/facts-trivia/10-insane-japanese-snacks-will-haunt-nightmares/

Those roasted baby craps are something I would have really wanted as a kid. Instead I just got candy.
  • NovusDies
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Discuss.

1) I wouldn't let my kid consume anything not in the original packaging until after I looked at it (unless I knew the people they got it from). Soup, given what could easily be put in it by a nutjob and be undetectable would probably be one of the first things dumped out.

2) Kids have been trick or treating for years before childhood obesity became a thing. If the child has a weight problem (and even if they don't), the parents need to be parents and tell the child beforehand they can keep x number of candy items. Give the rest away or pitch.

So, cans of soup?

Those are scary and pretty nasty overall.