30 Day Logging/Limiting Added Sugar Challenge

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Happy you created the 30 day Limited Addition.

"In general, a woman with diabetes should have no more than 24 grams of added sugar a day, or 2 tablespoons, and a man with diabetes should have no more than 36 grams of added sugar a day, or 3 tablespoons."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317246.php
    https://www.sharecare.com/health/diabetes/how-many-grams-of-sugar-diabetic-have-per-day
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1667/
    https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/sugar/added-sugars

So I opt for 24 grams day. I know I'm not coming in on the home stretch but I can tell my brain wants me to loosen it all up. Accountability is good medicine.

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I was (processed) sugar free for a number of weeks last year. I always enjoyed drinking milk because it tasted so sweet. It was exactly the same milk I drink now, but my sweet sensitivity had become normalised. Right now my sweet sensitivity is reduced due to all the sugar I'm having.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hi All!

My total sugar log for the day was 22 grams. Went out to eat tonight and had a wonderful salad with a few figs and pomegranate on top. No added sugars.

Interesting to see everyone’s sugar intake!
  • Diatonic12
    It's snowin' and blowin' with a major blizzard outside my window.
    10-25 39 gms sugar

SAD is a real thing in snow country. I see people everywhere I go who can tell a big difference when the days get shorter and we're facing 6 more months of winter ahead of us. People stay inside and entertain themselves with playfoods. They like to bake and share it with everyone. Fudge, cookies, cakes with enough frosting to spackle the house. Last night, it was 9 pm and I was still thinking about getting in my car and going thrill eating for gummy bears. Getting in my car and making a clean getaway with whopping boatloads of them in the backseat. I didn't go but I really had to surf the urges.

I'm telling on myself because it's good medicine. There are times when you have to throw everything up against the wall and see what sticks. You can talk to yourself, remind yourself, stand on your head until the gas station closes and then breathe a sigh of relief. I don't know if the corn sweeteners/refined corn fiber thing is due to genetics but it doesn't really matter. I have to deal with it on a daily basis. It's corn in all of its forms including popcorn and corn mash. Alcohol. It knocks me to the floor. No can do.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    10/23: 85 g
    10/24: 48 g
    10/25: 26 g and the Halloween candy is finished. I'll let my OH get more, and something he likes, but I don't.
  • kshama2001
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    It's snowin' and blowin' with a major blizzard outside my window.
    10-25 39 gms sugar

SAD is a real thing in snow country. I see people everywhere I go who can tell a big difference when the days get shorter and we're facing 6 more months of winter ahead of us. People stay inside and entertain themselves with playfoods. They like to bake and share it with everyone. Fudge, cookies, cakes with enough frosting to spackle the house. Last night, it was 9 pm and I was still thinking about getting in my car and going thrill eating for gummy bears. Getting in my car and making a clean getaway with whopping boatloads of them in the backseat. I didn't go but I really had to surf the urges.

I'm telling on myself because it's good medicine. There are times when you have to throw everything up against the wall and see what sticks. You can talk to yourself, remind yourself, stand on your head until the gas station closes and then breathe a sigh of relief. I don't know if the corn sweeteners/refined corn fiber thing is due to genetics but it doesn't really matter. I have to deal with it on a daily basis. It's corn in all of its forms including popcorn and corn mash. Alcohol. It knocks me to the floor. No can do.

Yeah, I get SAD. My management strategies:
    1. I taper off my anti-depressant in the spring and go back on it this time of year. (This works for me but people interested in same should consult their doctor.)
    2. I continue to spend time outdoors. I bundle up at lunch time no matter how cold or snowy. I have some cheap snowshoes that provide incredible calorie burns. Due to lack of snow, I didn't get to use them very often last year - mostly I just walk or do trail maintenance.

I'm also a baker. One of the reasons I wanted to start this challenge now was to limit baking season but still be able to engage in baking and sending foods to out-of-state friends for the holidays.
  • Diatonic12
    Your gifts will be very nice. When I lived in AK, you don't see the sun for about 70 days but some places have 5 hours daylight on the average in the winter. My relatives aren't eating bread or anything with flour. I wish they would've told me that straight out. They don't want noodles or pasta, barely touch white rice. They will eat Chickapea pasta, so I've been making homemade marinara sauce with meatballs, freezing portions.
  • cereen
    cereen Posts: 3 Member
    I am in . Have been looking for a thread like this.
  • Safari_Gal_
    edited October 2019
    Evening all!

Logged 13 total sugars today... no added sugars. All from pumpkin purée and red kale. Ahhh pumpkin... 🎃 ☺️

Speaking of baking...I’m looking to make low sugar desserts for thanksgiving. Found some cool recipes!

I was in the grocery store looking at whole turkeys. Do you know they inject an 8% sugar/salt/flavoring into most mass produced frozen grocery store turkeys?? Guess I’ll get a fresh turkey from now on!

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited October 2019
    I’ve never paid attention to sugar on MFP, but sounds like an interesting experiment. I’m in for fun only!
    Today was 39.4.
    24 of that was fruit.
  • Diatonic12
    edited October 2019
    10-26
    11 gms sugar
    Added accountability works
    Sent some Fall cards to all of my relatives while the snow is stacking up outside.
  • kshama2001
    Evening all!

Logged 13 total sugars today... no added sugars. All from pumpkin purée and red kale. Ahhh pumpkin... 🎃 ☺️

Speaking of baking...I’m looking to make low sugar desserts for thanksgiving. Found some cool recipes!

I was in the grocery store looking at whole turkeys. Do you know they inject an 8% sugar/salt/flavoring into most mass produced frozen grocery store turkeys?? Guess I’ll get a fresh turkey from now on!

Please share the recipes!

For now, I'm just replacing snacky foods with fruit to reduce calories, but I would like some low sugar recipes for special occasions. (I do tend to reduce the sugar in baked goods by 1/3 any way.)
  • kbulmahn
    kbulmahn Posts: 1 Member
    i just found this thread and was really excited about it. I am on day 6 of logging in regularly. this sugar deal is going to be hard to keep up with. i love grapes while i work but never paid attention to how much sugar was in them. Friday i had 22 g in grapes and 51 total. boy that was eye opening. lol. thanks for starting this.
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2019
    kbulmahn wrote: »
    i just found this thread and was really excited about it. I am on day 6 of logging in regularly. this sugar deal is going to be hard to keep up with. i love grapes while i work but never paid attention to how much sugar was in them. Friday i had 22 g in grapes and 51 total. boy that was eye opening. lol. thanks for starting this.

@kbulmahn welcome!

You can do this challenge however you want, however, I am not counting sugar in fruit, dairy, veggies, etc. - I am only counted added / "free" sugar per the World Health Organization recommendations:

https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

4 MARCH 2015 ¦ GENEVA - A new WHO guideline recommends adults and children reduce their daily intake of free sugars to less than 10% of their total energy intake. A further reduction to below 5% or roughly 25 grams (6 teaspoons) per day would provide additional health benefits.

Guideline on sugars intake for adult and children

Free sugars refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates.
  • Diatonic12

I'm glad you found this group. It's all fun. Really. I needed this added accountability, too. My brain likes to drift during the holidays and talk me into all kinds of things.
  • kshama2001
    Diatonic12 wrote: »

I'm glad you found this group. It's all fun. Really. I needed this added accountability, too. My brain likes to drift during the holidays and talk me into all kinds of things.

Yes, holiday baking gets me in trouble every year and this will shorten my season plus bring awareness to when I do start.
  • Diatonic12
    10-27
    12 gms sugar
    Boom
    Done
    Kitchen closed
  • Safari_Gal_
    🍴 10.27 - 16 total sugars for the day. No added sugar. Had some dragon fruit for lunch and tomato sauce with seafood for early dinner today —- Fruit is tasting sweeter and sweeter to me since I’ve been using no sweeteners daily..
    I had a red bell pepper last night that tasted like candy. 😋

Have to say / I’m paying a lot more attn to my logging with this challenge. Thanks y’all! 😌

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    24 sugars today. Guessing about 1/2 natural and 1/2 added, but I am still learning.
  • SuperMotivated56
    SuperMotivated56 Posts: 119 Member
    You’re all doing a great job! 👍🏻
    Naturally sweet things are tasting so much sweeter to me too! 😋