Mourning my Faves

Is that normal to mourn or be sad to cut something out. Not completely, but today at Fazolis, I opted for the backened chicken salad instead of the pasta version. I only ate a bite of breadstick. I know I can plan these things in, I am just resisting for the first time and taking control over my thoughts. They tell me I have to have the pasta, carbs, and sweets. I left satisfied, but still thinking about that pasta 😝

Replies

• MountainMinimizer
    MountainMinimizer Posts: 23 Member
    And I am the one that asks my husband if I can sniff his crusty, chewy bread at the Italian place down the road.

😆 I think smelling it would be harder. I kept finding myself holding my breath tonight ..hoping I wouldn’t smell the smell of garlic and oil
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Funyuns..... may they rest in peace.....
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited October 2019
    We were major, MAJOR pizza, pasta, bread stick eaters and cooks, my wife being Italian and all. Then she got Celiac disease 7 years ago, which is like some horrible, unthinkable revenge visited on a person of Italian ancestry - our house had to become 100 % gluten free, like, new dishware, new stove, new grill, new silverware, that level of "gluten free". I definitely mourned it for a while, as of course did she. There are soooooo many thing that contain gluten, not just the usual suspects like bread. Soy sauce (and therefore almost all prepared or restaurant-served Chinese food, and 90+ % of BBQ sauces & marinades), salad dressings, things that shouldn't have gluten but do due to cross-contamination in the manufacturing facility such as corn chips, even many foods that are labeled "gluten free" but not "certified gluten free". There is practically no escape from gluten! When you cut out gluten, there isn't a lot left, and it feels extremely deprivational at first.

We've gotten used to it. We don't mourn it anymore. I occasionally have gluten, as long as it's in a plastic tub such that none of my food will come into contact with dishware, but it's almost more work than it's worth. My wife has long since made her peace with it. Like almost anything else, you eventually move on from the mourning phase & get to acceptance.

I can't think of anything we've ruled out for our diets - we eat what we want, but in smaller quantities, of course. Honestly I often feel great having a mini portion of something I know made me fat and now won't have that power over me - while I still get to enjoy it. A good example being 43 calorie Dove Promises chocolates. I have one every night. It was not at all unusual for me to gorge 1500-2000 calories worth of chocolate or ice cream before we got serious with the diets. I do take some pleasure in getting to still have my chocolate while also losing weight. I guess it's just a change in mindset. I definitely don't mind not gorging on all the fattening stuff when we go out to eat now, but I don't usually do salads. I try to order food that will be maximally filling while not being one of the highest calorie things on the menu.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    You can either mourn your favorite foods and feel deprived or...

you can fit them into your calories and be happy and satisfied while you lose weight.

I know which one I pick. ☺
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    That's true.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    not always that simple..... Some of us have trouble "moderating" certain foods....
    Tell me about it...last night I moderated a whole Domino's meat lovers in the span of one hour. :anguished:

Whole pint of Halo Top myself......
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    When I decided to do something about my problem drinking 20 years ago, the thought of never drinking again was inconceivable and felt like a huge loss. At first, not drinking took a lot of effort.

Since then, I've cycled through moderation, a period of self-medicating with alcohol again, and now I'm not drinking because I just don't feel like it. I have a cabinet full of booze that I inherited from a housemate and wine in the refrigerator, and I'm just not interested.

So for me anyway, it got better over time.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited October 2019
    lgfrie wrote: »
    We were major, MAJOR pizza, pasta, bread stick eaters and cooks, my wife being Italian and all. Then she got Celiac disease 7 years ago, which is like some horrible, unthinkable revenge visited on a person of Italian ancestry - our house had to become 100 % gluten free, like, new dishware, new stove, new grill, new silverware, that level of "gluten free". I definitely mourned it for a while, as of course did she. There are soooooo many thing that contain gluten, not just the usual suspects like bread. Soy sauce (and therefore almost all prepared or restaurant-served Chinese food, and 90+ % of BBQ sauces & marinades), salad dressings, things that shouldn't have gluten but do due to cross-contamination in the manufacturing facility such as corn chips, even many foods that are labeled "gluten free" but not "certified gluten free". There is practically no escape from gluten! When you cut out gluten, there isn't a lot left, and it feels extremely deprivational at first.

We've gotten used to it. We don't mourn it anymore. I occasionally have gluten, as long as it's in a plastic tub such that none of my food will come into contact with dishware, but it's almost more work than it's worth. My wife has long since made her peace with it. Like almost anything else, you eventually move on from the mourning phase & get to acceptance.

I can't think of anything we've ruled out for our diets - we eat what we want, but in smaller quantities, of course. Honestly I often feel great having a mini portion of something I know made me fat and now won't have that power over me - while I still get to enjoy it. A good example being 43 calorie Dove Promises chocolates. I have one every night. It was not at all unusual for me to gorge 1500-2000 calories worth of chocolate or ice cream before we got serious with the diets. I do take some pleasure in getting to still have my chocolate while also losing weight. I guess it's just a change in mindset. I definitely don't mind not gorging on all the fattening stuff when we go out to eat now, but I don't usually do salads. I try to order food that will be maximally filling while not being one of the highest calorie things on the menu.

Just wanted to make sure you knew there is gluten-free soy sauce available. Here's one brand that carries it. I've seen it at Whole Foods, health food stores, and bigger supermarkets: https://san-j.com/products/organic-tamari-gluten-free-soy-sauce

I don't know if your wife needs to avoid products made in facilities that process wheat. That page does not say one way or the other, but you could contact them. If that is a problem, fish sauce works in many recipes that call for soy sauce.

But it would probably be really hard to find a safe Chinese restaurant :(
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Is that normal to mourn or be sad to cut something out. Not completely, but today at Fazolis, I opted for the backened chicken salad instead of the pasta version. I only ate a bite of breadstick. I know I can plan these things in, I am just resisting for the first time and taking control over my thoughts. They tell me I have to have the pasta, carbs, and sweets. I left satisfied, but still thinking about that pasta 😝

Yes, it's possible to mourn when you cut something out. I've been drinking coffee since I was ten years old. I would sneak it out of the kitchen when my mom wasn't looking. I drank coffee for decades, really good coffee, drank it like water with no thought about the caffeine.

Then about two years ago I ended up in the emergency room twice in two weeks with blood pressure around 200/90, all from caffeine. So goodbye to the coffee. I could probably have one cup of real coffee a day, but I'm afraid I'll forget and overdo it. I did have half a bottle of a cold Starbucks frappaccino about two months ago and thought I'd died and gone to heaven, lol.