When is a good time to start C25K?

I am wanting to start the C25K but live in the UK and it’s starting to get cold (not that it’s ever overly warm!). I feel the cold and thinking if it’s a 12 week programme will now be a good time to start if it’s going to end and hopefully I continue in the dead of winter? (I’m no longer a gym member),

Replies

• Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Depends. Are you willing to run in the cold? Lots of people do and I prefer it over running in the hottest part of summer! But I would say any time is a good time to start.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    The best time is whenever you are willing to commit. I far prefer running in the cold/rain/snow than in the middle of summer
  • Deanner03
    Deanner03 Posts: 371 Member
    Another vote for now. You can always do it on a treadmill if you need to, but I find the cooler weather better to run in.
  • M155AUSSIE
    M155AUSSIE Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks All,

I am pulling out my jogging pants and I’m going to start tomorrow at lunch. Much appreciate the replies.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Your personal comfort level might be different, but here’s a starting point for figuring out how to dress for cold weather running.

qacnjs16zejo.jpeg
  • M155AUSSIE
    apullum wrote: »
    Your personal comfort level might be different, but here’s a starting point for figuring out how to dress for cold weather running.

qacnjs16zejo.jpeg

This is amazing! Thank you so much!
  • jesslifts
    jesslifts Posts: 34 Member
    I hate running in the warm, I’d start now. Last time I did c25k it was first week of January and it snowed in the Feb - I much preferred to running warm
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    To give you a clue on what to wear in the weather we've got now. I'm in the UK on the essex/Suffolk border and have just been out in shorts and a vest top. Plenty warm enough after the first couple min
  • M155AUSSIE
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    To give you a clue on what to wear in the weather we've got now. I'm in the UK on the essex/Suffolk border and have just been out in shorts and a vest top. Plenty warm enough after the first couple min

Beautiful part of the world you’re in. Typically it’s raining today (herts/essex border for me) but I’m going to give it a go anyway. My Aussie blood still hasn’t 100% adjusted, it’s only been 15 years...
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I find it's really the wind that cuts in and makes a difference, just the cold or the rain not so much of a bother.

I'm a bit of a wimp, you warm up as you go along, but I find it helpful to start with gloves and a neck buff to keep the chill off while that happens. They are very easy to pull off and shove in a pocket as you need to.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Realize that you will warm up a lot within the first 10 min. So you need to choose whether to start off cold for 10 min til you warm up; be comfortable for 10 min, then too hot the rest of the time; or take off and carry layers with you. This is true for just about any outdoor sport, hiking, cycling, etc.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited October 2019

qacnjs16zejo.jpeg

Believe me, if it's 50 degrees C out ( and it's targeted at Canadians so I'd expect that temperature to be degrees C like most of the world use), I am NOT going out in shorts and t-shirt. Hell, I'm not going out at all.

To the OP - it's not cold here in the UK. In fact, right now is the PERFECT running temperature. 10-12 degrees C.

Start now. Dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Running in the cold is not so bad if you dress appropriately. It's precipitation that makes it tricky. I personally won't run when there's any snow or ice, not worth the risk to me.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    M155AUSSIE wrote: »
    I am wanting to start the C25K but live in the UK and it’s starting to get cold (not that it’s ever overly warm!). I feel the cold and thinking if it’s a 12 week programme will now be a good time to start if it’s going to end and hopefully I continue in the dead of winter? (I’m no longer a gym member),

There is no bad weather, just inappropriate clothing. It gets, on occasion, down to -40C here (the winter average is more like -20C or so) and with the right clothing winter running can be a lot of fun. Having said that, not everyone is as crazy as us Canadians! (Freezing rain, monsoons and thunderstorms will have me on the treadmill)

There's an old proverb along the lines of the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is today.

sr0ftoj0yx36.jpg

• Cricketmad88
    Cricketmad88 Posts: 415 Member
    I live in uk and started in September it’s ok in the cold just maybe invest in hat and gloves. Honestly once you get going you are glad it’s cold and drizzle is amazing!! Easy cooking so can push harder.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'll take cold over heat any day.
  • amandarawr06
    amandarawr06 Posts: 251 Member

qacnjs16zejo.jpeg

What about those weeks that are -40 haha :D
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited October 2019
    Now. And I would say this whether one prefers running in the cold or not.

This is just my opinion but I think the best way to think about C25K is that it is the beginning of a lifelong running habit, which one will continue over many years, through every season. From that long view, the temperature on any particular day, right now, does not matter so much.