ME: Female, 44, 5'5"

MFP Day 1: >155lbs, neck 15, waist 37.5, hips 38
BMI calc: 25.8 overweight
US Navy Calc: "obese" *est. body fat 35%, fat mass 54lbs, lean mass 100lbs

MFP Calorie Intake: 1200

MFP Day 50: <139lbs, neck 14, waist 31, hips 35
BMI calc: 23.1 normal
US Navy Calc: "fit" *est. body fat 24%, fat mass 33lbs, lean mass 106lbs

I am now "fit" according to the US Navy Body Fat calculator, though visually there is a tiny bit of belly fat/love handles.

EXERCISE: 5-6 days a week. Cardio/endurance: soccer 1-2x/week, surf and long-distance ocean swimming 2-3x/week. Strength training: gym 3x/week, high weights/low reps/progressive resistance.

DIET: high protein (red meat/poultry/seafood), vegetables/fruit, low grains/processed carbs. I eat back my cals from exercise (at least 50%)

QUESTION: Do I stay on a calorie deficit (*current MFP 1200) to lose the last bit of belly fat while I work-out? Or should I be eating more to better fuel my workouts at this point, and trust the belly fat will go/transform as I stay active... as long as I don't go beyond my TDEE?

Thanks. I'm very new to weight-loss (only 50 days), and am unsure about how to factor in diet at this point now that I'm in range of being in good shape.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    How much weight you losing weekly on average?

Second, did you develop your lifting routine or is it pre-designed?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Please clarify is you mean only 1200 cals a day or 1200 cals plus exercise calories?

Your diary is private - how accurate to you think your intake really is?

Did you pick an aggressive rate of weight loss to hit the minimum recommendation of 1200?

What is your current actual weekly rate of weight loss?

PS - those US Navy calcs are pretty useless for many people. A picture speaks a thousand words if you are happy to post one.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    First of all, congrats on your results.
    I think everyone knows that the longer you are in a deficit the harder it becomes to lose that last little bit of fat from wherever your body is storing it. Your body will more than likely start fighting back against the deficit if it hasn't already. There's also no guarantee that the belly fat will go next as you continue to lose fat. Your body may have other ideas as to where it will go to find energy stores.
    The main question for you is are you happy with where you are and are you prepared to be constantly fighting your metabolism to maintain a super lean look? The general rule is to spend 1 to 1.5x as long at maintenance as you do in a deficit. That time at maintenance helps psychologicallyas well as physically.
  • jesselee10
    jesselee10 Posts: 31 Member
    You would probably need to get down to under 15% body fat to get rid of the lower belly fat. Unfortunately for women it is an area the body stores extra. I follow a lot of bodybuilder type athletes on Instagram and that is the response they give across the board. You can keep going into to caloric deficit and continue strength training along with taking in a fair amount of protein.
  • lhorne2
    lhorne2 Posts: 15 Member
    I think 1200 sounds low. maybe try a diet break- add in 100 calories a day extra and do that for a couple weeks. see what happens- you may gain a little but don't panic.
  • surfbug808
    surfbug808 Posts: 251 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    How much weight you losing weekly on average?

Second, did you develop your lifting routine or is it pre-designed?

Week 1 and 2: lost 10lbs (I'm guessing that may have been a lot of water weight, and not understanding that I had to eat back my calories)
    Week 3 - 6: losing approx 1lb+/week
    Last week: lost .6lb (slowing down)

It's been 5 years since I lifted/strength trained. I have re-started weight training exercises I am familiar with and am looking for a trainer (hired one recently but wasn't a right fit... hoping to get a new one in the next two weeks).
  • surfbug808
    sijomial wrote: »
    Please clarify is you mean only 1200 cals a day or 1200 cals plus exercise calories?

Did you pick an aggressive rate of weight loss to hit the minimum recommendation of 1200?

PS - those US Navy calcs are pretty useless for many people. A picture speaks a thousand words if you are happy to post one.

-I eat 1000-1200 calories including the exercise cals
    -My food diary isn't perfect (but I feel it's hitting my goals)
    -I picked 1lb/week for the recommended 1200
    -Once I started dieting correctly (eating back most of my exercise cals starting in week 3), my average loss has been 1lb/week, recently slowing down to approx .5 lb as of last week. I have energy and feel good, so I don't believe I'm over or under-eating.

Thoughts?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    surfbug808 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »

-I eat 1000-1200 calories including the exercise cals
    -My food diary isn't perfect (but I feel it's hitting my goals)
    -I picked 1lb/week for the recommended 1200
    -Once I started dieting correctly (eating back most of my exercise cals starting in week 3), my average loss has been 1lb/week, recently slowing down to approx .5 lb as of last week. I have energy and feel good, so I don't believe I'm over or under-eating.

Thoughts?

Well I'm glad you started fuelling your exercise properly.

1200 isn't "recommended" - it's seen by MFP as the MINIMUM amount (plus exercise cals) to achieve healthy nutrition while losing weight.

Half a pound of weight loss a week and feeling like you are energised are both great IMHO.

No useful data to go as regards your body composition but that will change slowly so suggest tracking with progress pictures and tape measurements. It's hard to spot subtle changes yourself when you see yourself in the mirror every day.

The quality of your training is paramount when you are attempting to exercise a lot and progress while also losing weight.

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Do you mean you eat 1000-1200 calories PLUS exercise calories? Or do you really mean you eat 1000-1200 cals? 1000 net calories is too low. You may feel fine at the moment, but suddenly you may find that you're not so fine.
  • surfbug808
    RovP6 wrote: »
    First of all, congrats on your results.
    I think everyone knows that the longer you are in a deficit the harder it becomes to lose that last little bit of fat from wherever your body is storing it. Your body will more than likely start fighting back against the deficit if it hasn't already. There's also no guarantee that the belly fat will go next as you continue to lose fat. Your body may have other ideas as to where it will go to find energy stores.
    The main question for you is are you happy with where you are and are you prepared to be constantly fighting your metabolism to maintain a super lean look? The general rule is to spend 1 to 1.5x as long at maintenance as you do in a deficit. That time at maintenance helps psychologicallyas well as physically.

Thanks! Yeah, I realize that the weight-loss is now entering a slower period, which is fine. Hmmmm... is there a way to help the body draw energy from fat more than other places? For example, I read that if I eat carbs before a big cardio, the body draws energy from those carbs. But if I work-out on am empty stomach (e.g. fasting the night before and working out right away in the a.m.), the body is more likely to draw energy from fat...

I'm happy with the way I look at this point, my main goal is to get stronger. But if there is a way to lose that little muffin top that's left without spinning my wheels, I'll give that a try.
  • surfbug808
    jesselee10 wrote: »
    You would probably need to get down to under 15% body fat to get rid of the lower belly fat. Unfortunately for women it is an area the body stores extra. I follow a lot of bodybuilder type athletes on Instagram and that is the response they give across the board. You can keep going into to caloric deficit and continue strength training along with taking in a fair amount of protein.

15% sounds like a long way to go... But I have no idea how that all works. I will keep strength training regardless. I just want to make sure I'm getting enough fuel to sustain building muscle and am unsure if continuing on a calorie deficit and at what amount, and for how much longer, is appropriate. I'm not interested in becoming a body builder, though being "athletic" (as opposed to just "fit") and beyond novice lifting would be the aim.
  • surfbug808
    lhorne2 wrote: »
    I think 1200 sounds low. maybe try a diet break- add in 100 calories a day extra and do that for a couple weeks. see what happens- you may gain a little but don't panic.

Yeah, I might play around with adding calories, or taking a break from the strict 1200cal and see how that impacts me. I've gained weight from muscle in past, so if I weigh a little more from that it's okay. I justhope that little bit of belly fat can get smaller!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

It might be good to start with the link above. There are some really good programs... From body weight to advanced routines.

Overall, 1lb a week is good. Considering you eat back exercise calories and don't super accurately log, i am not sure I would change that.

If you eat carbs before a workout, its possible that will provide an improvement in performance, which can help you push more weight or volume. But you can play with that. Overall, it doesn't matter if you lift fasted or fed. It won't impact fat loss. Personally, if i am fasted, my performance goes in the crapper. Its why i workout at night.
  • surfbug808
    Do you mean you eat 1000-1200 calories PLUS exercise calories? Or do you really mean you eat 1000-1200 cals? 1000 net calories is too low. You may feel fine at the moment, but suddenly you may find that you're not so fine.

1000-1200 plus exercise cals.
    So for example, if I burn 600 cals on a given day, I'll eat the usual 1000-1200 minimum, plus 50%-100% (in this case 300-600) of my exercise cals back.
  • surfbug808
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    surfbug808 wrote: »
    lhorne2 wrote: »

Yeah, I might play around with adding calories, or taking a break from the strict 1200cal and see how that impacts me. I've gained weight from muscle in past, so if I weigh a little more from that it's okay. I justhope that little bit of belly fat can get smaller!

It takes a lot of effort for women to gain weight from adding muscle. However, it is really easy to gain weight from water retention from new exercise. When I started lifting weights my scale went up 7 pounds. This took a few weeks to come back off.

Oh ok, I didn't know that about gaining water weight back from new exercise. I'll have to look that up! I guess it's hard to tell what's what right now since I've steadily losing weight/fat thus far, while rebuilding muscle. I've always been active, but it's been a number of years since I've done strength training...
  • surfbug808
    Now I'm reading about recomping and macros... so much to learn!