Why is intermittent fasting beneficial?

2»

Replies

• bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    bearly63 wrote: »
    So I have read 2 books recently that touch on IF, and various forms of fasting, including the Mimicing Fasting Diet. Both are written by PHDs who study longevity and aging at the cellular level. Heavy biochemistry based science. I find it all fascinating but my takeaway is that it’s less about losing weight and more about what it does to your body, blood chemistry, glucose, etc. I’m not an expert just enjoy learning about the science behind it. The books are:
    Life Span by Dr. David Sinclair
    The Longevity Diet by Dr. Valter Longo

I haven't read either of those books, but yes the science is fascinating. Having said that, it's in its infancy and I am highly skeptical of well-educated people who jump on nascent science and proclaim it as confirmed. Dr. Longo in particular sells an expensive diet based on his theories.

So many of these theories are based on mouse studies, and it will be years before enough human studies have been completed to get anything close to consensus. So it's fascinating, but no one should be putting themselves out to try to eat this way. If it comes easily to you, and you are cautiously optimistic that there will be health benefits though, go for it :smile:

Hey cool.....we agree. Just mentioned these books as they talk about fasting in its various forms. Both of these guys have studied cell gerontology for 20 plus years at USC and Harvard Medical School. They are worth a read as they cover lots of other things besides fasting if your into science. I do IF (16:8) simply because it fits with my schedule. I still just track my calories and exercise with MFP but don't eat from 8pm-noon, when it works for me. B)
  • mhmotes
    mhmotes Posts: 3 Member
    Look up Dr. Fung, Obesity Code. He has worked with hundreds of patients and reversed diabetes and reset insulin using IF.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    mhmotes wrote: »
    Look up Dr. Fung, Obesity Code. He has worked with hundreds of patients and reversed diabetes and reset insulin using IF.

he is a fraud. he was even kicked out of many IF facebook groups for his bullcrap
  • CalgaryMac
    CalgaryMac Posts: 19 Member
    Doesn't fasting put your body into starvation response? I am diabetic so fasting is not an option and frankly don't feel that I am missing anything. However I do find that needing to eat regularly gets tedious without lots of variety.
  • Bradleys8299
    Bradleys8299 Posts: 136 Member
    CalgaryMac wrote: »
    Doesn't fasting put your body into starvation response? I am diabetic so fasting is not an option and frankly don't feel that I am missing anything. However I do find that needing to eat regularly gets tedious without lots of variety.

Starvation mode is a myth. It's not a thing.