Target of 21lbs in 7 week

Options
I'm a newbie on here so I thought I would post of accountability. I am awaiting surgery and have been told I have to lose 21lb - surgery is scheduled for 24th December ! Wish me luck!

Replies

• jacqui2494
    jacqui2494 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie on here so I thought I would post of accountability. I am awaiting surgery and have been told I have to lose 21lb - surgery is scheduled for 24th December ! Wish me luck!
    Good luck. It will take a lot if determination and possibly keto. That is the only way I have really dropped fat that fast. ....and put it all back on 6 months later :'(
  • Bedazzled35
    Bedazzled35 Posts: 51 Member
    Options

That's a lot of weight to lose in 8 weeks. I'd put your stats in mfp with the appropriate activity level and a 2 pound per week weight loss goal. Eat the calories it gives you and at least half of any exercise calories, log consistently and weigh everything you eat. You might not lose exactly 21 pounds but it will be a healthy start and will give you the tools to manage your weight post surgery.

If it's medically necessary to lose that much, I have heard of people being put on pre surgery very low calorie meal replacement plans under strict medical supervision, maybe discuss that with your surgeon? Good luck
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can definitely do it!

Get a food scale and weigh everything. What calorie limit has it recommended for you? You do need to lose quite fast but don't go below 1200 calories per day. That is the absolute minimum you can eat at per day.

Find foods that are filling like proteins and vegetables. You don't need to do keto, nor survive on salads. It is all about the calories. I wouldn't recommend sweets or soft drinks as they will eat into your calorie allowance quite steeply and you don't want to spend your days hungry as you are more likely to give up if you are constantly hungry.
  • georgiemarsh
    georgiemarsh Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps. I'm having 1200 calories a day. Just bought a treadmill so I intend on doing 20 minutes a day. I have quite a bit of weight to lose.!
  • georgiemarsh
    Options
    @Bedazzled35 that a thought, I see my surgeon on the 4th. I will discuss this. Cheers!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    How much weight do you have to lose? I'd your surgery weight loss surgery or unrelated to weight loss?

How much you have to lose will give an indication if 21 pounds in 7 weeks is feasible or not.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    jacqui2494 wrote: »
    Good luck. It will take a lot if determination and possibly keto. That is the only way I have really dropped fat that fast. ....and put it all back on 6 months later :'(

I'm sorry you had a bad experience. I'm curious as to why you would advise someone else to choose a way of eating that didn't end up being sustainable for you.
  • georgiemarsh
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    How much weight do you have to lose? I'd your surgery weight loss surgery or unrelated to weight loss?

How much you have to lose will give an indication if 21 pounds in 7 weeks is feasible or not.

The surgery isn't weight related as such. The weight lose is critical due to risks.

My BMI currently is 45 and I need to get it down to 40 or below. So quite alot of weight to lose!
  • mk820820
    mk820820 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I too need to lose weight for a surgery. (Lower BMI) The minimum is 13 # but the surgeon said 46 # would make the operation much easier and the recovery time less. Just started last Thursday. Surgeon will call in a month to see how I am doing. Accountability!! Yuck.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

Three pounds per week is a very aggressive pace of weight loss. With a BMI of 45, I'm estimating that you are approximately 100 pounds from the upper end of your optimal BMI range. Usually, 2 lb/week would be the fastest recommended pace of loss in that case.

I would strongly encourage double checking with your doctor to be certain that they feel this pace of loss is safe for you, and to get a referral to a registered dietician who can help you get proper nutrition on such an aggressive deficit.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!