Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you define "Curvy?"

ssurvivor
ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but I figured there would be plenty of differing opinions so here we are.

I recently discovered (within the last year or so) that I'm not on the same page as a lot of people when I describe myself as "curvy." To me, a woman s curvy if there is a significant bust:waist and/or waist:hip ratio.

I have the hardest time finding athletic wear because, if it fits in the bust or hips, it's too loose everywhere else. Nothing is more disruptive to my workouts than having to stop and pull my pants up every 15 minutes - especially when I'm doing a lot of bending and twisting. When I ask people for clothing suggestions, most people say, "you're not curvy" instead of answering my question.😢😢😢

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    To me curvy is big bust and hips relative to waist size

I'm kind of curvy, but also tall and long in the torso, so if it fits in the bust/hips it's probably baggy at the waist and too short in the arms or legs or the waist is too high for my actual body

for athletic stuff I have had good luck with the legging and tanks on Amazon...I'm a geek and usually go for super hero stuff...Mad Ink, Coco and Conceited have one-size legging that seem to stay in place as I move around and there's a lot of stretch in the waistband, so they go over my hips without a struggle...plus, it's Amazon, so if it doesn't fit returns are a piece of cake, though I haven't had any issues with the one-size leggings not fitting...they are still a bit short, but they go mostly to my ankles, and they don't ride up when I move, which is good enough for me...they do only last about 2-3 years before all the stretch starts to not be so stretchy and they start shifting around, but by then it's time for new super heroes anyway.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Also, apologies for wedging my way in. I just thought I'd venture my opinion.
  • ssurvivor
    Thanks for your suggestion! I don't feel entirely comfortable in ultra baggy or barely there clothing (a baggy top once fell completely off during a Pilates class and one of the yoga classes I teach has a lot of men), but it's definitely worth a shot if it will keep the wardrobe malfunctions at bay.

I completely agree with your comment about curves coming in different radii. Even in my own body, I noticed a marked difference between my before weight gain, after weight gain, and after weight loss dimensions.
  • ssurvivor
    penfrydd wrote: »
    I guess I need to check my glasses. I thought the question was about curry!

Haha! That would certainly make an interesting question too!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    The Golden Ratio - 1.618.

Ideally bodybuilders strive for a complimentary measurement 1.618x greater or lesser than another - thinking hips to waist, bicep head to brachii (median), etc.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    To me - curvy has always been an hourglass shape or shape as in photo— but I think the term has been co-opted as a more P.C. word for chunky +

2zalkps3ft0n.jpeg

Agree with this.