Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Giving Out Candy on Halloween Adding to the Obesity Problem?

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁

When you're getting close to thinking you want to stop answering the door, dump all the candy in the bag(s) of the next trick-or-treater(s), and turn out the light. Leftover candy problem solved.

There's never any left overs, my only problem is staying out of the lollies so there is enough left to hand out 😁
    aokoye wrote: Β»
    Of course it's contributing. Halloween is not celebrated here like over there but is gaining momentum. In the past 5 years I've had maybe 6 kids at the door. Every year I buy a heap of chocolate knowing I'll be the one to eat most of it. *rubs belly* I better go back to the shop, I've already eaten all the chocolate 😜😁

Also just think about the post Halloween candy sales...

We've had some great pre Halloween sales multi packs of mini mars bar, caramello koalas, Turkish delight and freddo frogs.
    Half price.. I stocked up 😜 fingers crossed now that no kids come trick or treating πŸ˜‚

I hate how tempting these sales are..... all my grocery stores have the full bags of name brands (reeses, kit kat, snickers, etc) for $.50-$1. I can never pass it up, lol.

(sorry so off topic of original thread)

It's not really off topic, though. Perhaps OP meant that it's the parents stocking up on treats that's the real problem, here. :D
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

When you're getting close to thinking you want to stop answering the door, dump all the candy in the bag(s) of the next trick-or-treater(s), and turn out the light. Leftover candy problem solved.

There's never any left overs, my only problem is staying out of the lollies so there is enough left to hand out 😁

We've had some great pre Halloween sales multi packs of mini mars bar, caramello koalas, Turkish delight and freddo frogs.
    Half price.. I stocked up 😜 fingers crossed now that no kids come trick or treating πŸ˜‚

I hate how tempting these sales are..... all my grocery stores have the full bags of name brands (reeses, kit kat, snickers, etc) for $.50-$1. I can never pass it up, lol.

It's not really off topic, though. Perhaps OP meant that it's the parents stocking up on treats that's the real problem, here. :D

Well they could be making some delicious homemade soup.
  • NovusDies
    kimny72 wrote: Β»

Inspired by this thread, I have some navy bean soup in the slow cooker waiting for me when I get home from work for dinner. You know where the leftovers are going! I'm thinking of putting small servings in those little ziploc snack sized bags. <nods>

Mmmm... so much better than candy. I need to trick or treat at your house.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    No. What’s contributing to childhood obesity is the after Halloween candy, the thanksgiving candy, Christmas candy, valentine candy, Easter candy, Pick your day of the week candy, breakfast candy, after school candy, I ate one carrot so now I get candy candy. Or whatever junk you want to replace candy with. Catch my drift here?

It's not holiday treats that is causing obesity. It's the everyday stuff. Candy and chips and not enough movement. Everyone here is all CICO and treats in moderation. It's the same for kids.

FYI as a kid I had a lot more candy and salty treats, but like everyone else at the time I was constantly moving.
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 247 Member
    I was just sitting here thinking about the probably 10k calories of candy the average kid might be taking home.

It is generally pretty cold does anyone make a pot of soup and give it out in cups?

What are other good alternatives? Seaweed snacks? They are green. Maybe fiber one bars? Or should a person focus on protein? I have a bunch of squid that I could smoke. That seems Halloween-ish.

Discuss.

so where do you live? I need me some squid, yumm.
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    I don't pass anything out (yay apartment living!), but I'd probably go the stickers route, cause they're awesome.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    You know, to be fair, if you froze the soup in those baggies, on a cold October night, they'd probably stay frozen until the kid got home. :)
  • NovusDies
    glassyo wrote: Β»
    You know, to be fair, if you froze the soup in those baggies, on a cold October night, they'd probably stay frozen until the kid got home. :)

I would be too afraid the kids would chip a tooth trying to eat it immediately.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member

Maybe they would suck on it like a popsicle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    puffbrat wrote: Β»

Maybe they would suck on it like a popsicle.

Now imagining cream of wild mushroom or squash-chipotle popsicles . . . <shudder>.
  • bobsburgersfan
    bobsburgersfan Posts: 6,274 Member
    kimny72 wrote: Β»
    Inspired by this thread, I have some navy bean soup in the slow cooker waiting for me when I get home from work for dinner. You know where the leftovers are going! I'm thinking of putting small servings in those little ziploc snack sized bags. <nods>
    Yesssss...snack bags of soup.
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»
    Now imagining cream of wild mushroom or squash-chipotle popsicles . . . <shudder>.
    Squash-sicles.

This board knows how to do Halloween.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    s131951 wrote: Β»
    It is a good way to get free eggs.

Already scrambled.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Mmm chocolate soup....