Elliptical - is it worth it?

I use the Elliptical off and on as it is convenient for me. I have one in my garage.

I used to do a lot of fitness - mainly outdoor bootcamp stuff and running. I hurt my knee about 4 years ago and that put a stop to this exercise. So I got a bike and had a few years cycling outside.

Work and life gets in the way and i find it difficult to find the 2-3 hours required for a decent cycle so I have gone back to the Elliptical. My problem, and I think it is in my head, is that I feel the Elliptical is a bit false. I do work up a sweat and my heart races so I do feel like I am working. However, to me exercise is about days worth of DOMS, being unable to walk due to the pain of exercise. Doesn't happen on the Elliptical.

I just want to lose weight at my age. Not interested in getting toned. Just losing the belly and the chin.

Should I stick with it? I do it 4-5 times a week and will do it every day if it will make the difference. Anyone got any elliptical success stories?

Replies

• gerryd72
    gerryd72 Posts: 3 Member
    Makes sense. Agree with the calorie reading. Doubt It is anywhere near. The machine and my Fitbit show a difference of about 200 calories over 30 mins. Take your point about the diet. I'll keep it going and see what happens. Thanks.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    I prefer running outside but as you mentioned (especially since I hit the 50 yr mark) it causes joint pain. I know the elliptical workout isn't as intense but it definitely is easier to commit to and with a decent tv screen, or my cellphone I can distract myself so that I can go pretty long (which makes up for the lack of intensity).
    I could turn the intensity, resistance and pace up easily enough, but for me I am fine with a moderate workout that I can stick to. Being in pain, or hating something isn't conducive to sticking with it.

So yeah...stick with it. You are getting a decent calorie burn.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Elliptical is one of the only exercises my replaced knees allow me to do. I, too, doubt what calories burn on the machine and MFP both say, but I'm working hard and my heart rate is def going up. No matter what, it's better than sitting on couch. Only exercise that has ever given me DOMS is lifting- which is limited with me knee issues too!
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    I use to run a lot and also have a treadmill, but i ruined my knee's running and instead of an elliptical i sprung for a Bowflex treadclimber. Let me tell you, that thing kicks your butt. After 60-90 minutes going 2mph i am on rubber legs. Burns crazy amount of calories. My only issue is the shocks are noisy, but at least the shocks are taking all the impact and not my knee's.
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    gerryd72 wrote: »
    However, to me exercise is about days worth of DOMS, being unable to walk due to the pain of exercise. Doesn't happen on the Elliptical.

That sounds more like torture than exercise.
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    sarko15 wrote: »
    However, to me exercise is about days worth of DOMS, being unable to walk due to the pain of exercise. Doesn't happen on the Elliptical.

I kinda see where he is comming from though. When use to run, at my peak, i would run hard, like 10 miles (5 forward, 5 back) in 90 minutes or less. It would kill me (and my knee's) Using a Polar HR7 i would struggle to keep my HR above 160. Now with this Treadclimber it feels so easy to stay in the 165 to 170 range with barely any pain. (lots of sweat and heavy breathing) but compared to outside running, its childs play.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    Let me add that you might not want to ONLY do elliptical for cardio. It pays to cross train with other activities as well. If you no longer want to run (which is entirely reasonable under many circumstances), you can spin, row, or walk on an incline on the treadmill. Plus, I hear these can be performed OUTDOORS!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited October 2019
    Swimming is another option. Good on the joints (except perhaps the shoulders) and a calorie burner. Common complaint is that it's boring. The new waterproof mp3 players and earbuds actually work well even through a flip turn. I've found podcasts the best as you can immerse yourself in both the subject in discussion and the water ;)
  • sarko15
    sarko15 Posts: 330 Member
    sarko15 wrote: »

I kinda see where he is comming from though. When use to run, at my peak, i would run hard, like 10 miles (5 forward, 5 back) in 90 minutes or less. It would kill me (and my knee's) Using a Polar HR7 i would struggle to keep my HR above 160. Now with this Treadclimber it feels so easy to stay in the 165 to 170 range with barely any pain. (lots of sweat and heavy breathing) but compared to outside running, its childs play.

Oh definitely. That's why I have switched from running to the elliptical too. But I want to challenge the notion that you need to be in extreme pain to count something as exercise because it's not necessary.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    Definitely worth it. When I was at my heaviest and 70 lbs overweight I didn't want to aggravate my knee by running and did a lot of swimming. The elliptical was a great change between the swimming and biking. Once I got down to a healthier weight I incorporated running. I still use the elliptical, but we sold our personal one and purchased a higher end treadmill and bike trainer.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member

One of the reasons I joined the triathlon club that I've belonged to for 10 years is that the head coach's philosophy is that every workout should leave you wanting more, the old "no pain no gain" is nonsense. My body will let me know when I've started upping my distances during a training plan, fatigue yes; DOMS rarely.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    DOMS isn't a training goal, nor is it an indication of a good workout. If you're training regularly, you really shouldn't have DOMS...and generally speaking, cardiovascular work doesn't cause much in the way of DOMS unless you haven't done anything in quite some time.

Also, as an avid cycling enthusiast and mountain biker, the notion that you need 2-3 hours to get in a decent ride is also ridiculous...those are nice, but hardly the norm for most people not training for some specific event.

The elliptical is fine cardiovascular exercise, though I hate that thing along with any other droning away stationary equipment.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    I lost 35 pounds last year counting calories, walking and doing the elliptical. Walking is my preferred exercise, but the elliptical is so handy when the weather is bad or walking doesn't fit into my schedule for whatever reason.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    I make good use of the elliptical, and I get a darn good (cardio) workout on it. Max HR, you can do a HIIT style session if you have less time, longer, lower HR sessions, varying sessions....due to knees and a fubared ankle, I tend to prefer the elliptical for a steady-state cardio. The other day the ellipticals I wanted were busy, so decided to use a treadmill and go for a (rare) jog (can't "run" due to ankle). It was EASY compared to what I do on the elliptical!

If you push yourself on it, you can have a great workout.

That being said, if you want sore muscles (meh - but maybe you'd like the benefits that you associate with that kind of workout) add in some strength training. You don't need to be a body builder to have great benefits from weight training of some variety. Even some body weight exercises at home.

And, like someone else said, can't outrun a bad diet....without a LOT of running anyways LOL
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I like my elliptical because I can get a good workout AND still be able to walk the next day 🤣. I supplement it with upper body and core work.
  • You could buy a turbo trainer of Craigslist if ya want to bike inside. Takes way less time and get in just as much work