Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why ask why?

allother94
allother94 Posts: 588 Member
I’ve been posting on here for a while and have noticed something that happens in every thread. I will start the thread by asking a simple question like “what is considered an an above average bench press?”. Without fail, the responses will mostly be “it depends on your goals.” No it doesn’t. I have no goals. All I have are questions. Once I have the answers to my questions, then I will make my goals...

Replies

• riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Mostly because that is a tough question to answer. Above average with respect to who/what? Someone who doesn't work out? All individuals that are the same age, weight, gender?

People are individuals with different strengths. A general question about what is considered an above average bench press will depend on so much.

I bench about 300 lbs. max and usually work out with about 225 for sets of 10 reps. In my little gym at work, frequented by relative newcomers, I am the strongest guy there. The other gym I go to, which is much larger..I am rarely the strongest guy in the gym at any given time.

So what I bench is a lot for a newbie, average for someone with a similar frame and experience with lifting, really low for people who have a genetic predisposition to be strong and hit the gym a lot, and extremely low for guys in power lifting or strong man competitions.

if your goal is to be a world strongman competitor and you stated that, you would get an answer. Ditto if you are a 130lb female...similar profiles would be able to chime in and let you know what they experience and have seen.

• allother94
    Mostly because that is a tough question to answer. Above average with respect to who/what? Someone who doesn't work out? All individuals that are the same age, weight, gender?

Asking for additional detail in order to answer the question is perfectly fine. However, what my personal goals are shouldn’t change the answer. I’m not complaining about it because it is sometimes helpful. I just find it odd.
  • allother94
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Those of us who have been answering questions for a while usually find that the best way to give helpful and relevant advice is not to simply just give a cookie cutter answer, but rather to understand the motivation behind the post. Because that usually reveals what the real question is, which helps guide what the proper answer should be.

I thought this was the reasoning behind it. It’s just funny to me that I’m constantly being treated as if I don’t know what my real question is. I know what my question is.
  • allother94
    Because if you truly don't want personalization and a more detailed conversation, you are better off just googling "what is an average bench press" and you will get as good an answer as anywhere else.

You would be amazed what google doesn’t know. Of course, this was a simple example and google could probably handle it.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    allother94 wrote: »
    I’ve been posting on here for a while and have noticed something that happens in every thread. I will start the thread by asking a simple question like “what is considered an an above average bench press?”. Without fail, the responses will mostly be “it depends on your goals.” No it doesn’t. I have no goals. All I have are questions. Once I have the answers to my questions, then I will make my goals...

Ok. I would say anything that is 125% of bodyweight is above average but not hardcore lifter good.

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Those of us who have been answering questions for a while usually find that the best way to give helpful and relevant advice is not to simply just give a cookie cutter answer, but rather to understand the motivation behind the post. Because that usually reveals what the real question is, which helps guide what the proper answer should be.

I thought this was the reasoning behind it. It’s just funny to me that I’m constantly being treated as if I don’t know what my real question is. I know what my question is.

What was the question again? 🤔
  • allother94
    edited October 2019
    puffbrat wrote: »
    The problem with wanting information like that without qualification is that life is contextual.

What is an above average bench press? For whom? Male or female? A 12 year old, a 20 year old, an 80 year old? Flat, incline, or decline press?

Agree that asking for more detail to get a good answer is reasonable. I just think it is funny that people think that what my goals are have any bearing on the answer. I have no goals. Just doing some research.
  • allother94
    edited October 2019
    If you want a professional answer, ask a professional. If you want a bunch of unqualified opinions, ask a chat room.

This is another good one. Ever ask a question about minor pains or injuries? Within 3 posts, someone will call you a fool for asking a bunch of random strangers for medical advice instead of a doctor. Of course I will ask a doctor. Of course I’m not getting all my medical advice from the MyFitnessPal chat room.
  • allother94

Ok. I would say anything that is 125% of bodyweight is above average but not hardcore lifter good.

Thanks, but that was just an example. I don’t have a question. I’m just pointing out some patterns I have seen when asking questions. This is a good example of a good answer. And you didn’t ask me what my goals are before answering.
  • allother94
    edited October 2019
    psychod787 wrote: »

What was the question again? 🤔

That depends. What are your goals?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

Thanks, but that was just an example. I don’t have a question. I’m just pointing out some patterns I have seen when asking questions. This is a good example of a good answer. And you didn’t ask me what my goals are before answering.

No, but the answer suggests that the number depends on what your goals are. It just leaves it to you to work out whether the answer is appropriate for you based on what your goals are.
  • allother94
    edited October 2019
    Because if you truly don't want personalization and a more detailed conversation, you are better off just googling "what is an average bench press" and you will get as good an answer as anywhere else.

You would be amazed what google doesn’t know. Of course, this was a simple example and google could probably handle it.

I'm pretty sure the person you are responding to is well aware what Google doesn't know, and is merely pointing out that the value of an answer when you don't want to give any context to the people answering is no better than than the answer Google will give you based on the most popular answer (most clicked) when other people asked that same question.

If google doesn’t know, than any answer I get on the forum would be better than no answer at all.

The person I was talking to was suggesting that if I just wanted a basic answer, I should just google it. That doesn’t work if google doesn’t know the answer because the specific question has never been asked. That is why I ask it here.

This forum is a great place to get specific answers to specific questions. Google is a great place to get general answers to general questions. It’s often useless to have a general answer to a specific question, which is often the result of a google search.
  • allother94
    edited October 2019

No, but the answer suggests that the number depends on what your goals are. It just leaves it to you to work out whether the answer is appropriate for you based on what your goals are.

No, the answer is just the answer. The answer would be the same regardless if my goal is to be average or if my goal is to be a hardcore lifter. The answer in this example “suggests” that you add the best times of all people and divide that number by to total number of people to get the average bench press. Anything over that number is above the average.

What I do with that answer may change depending on what my goals are, but not the answer itself.

Again, not complaining, as I have benefited from the additional help. Just pointing out the fact that answers to specific questions are not dependent on personal goals.