"Active" level goals question

Options
stv1520
stv1520 Posts: 199 Member
edited October 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Good morning all, I weighed in this morning and had a good weight loss week! Down 25 officially. My question is this: When I read the "getting started" posts, the OP stated that unless we are in a job where you're constantly moving (waitress, mail carrier etc.) you should mark yourself "lightly active" or "sedentary". Well, I did, and my calories were at 2,070 per day. As for my job, I'm on my feet quite a bit all day including stairs. I work out after work 5 days a week. I play hockey 2-3 times a week. That doesn't seem "lightly active" to me. Furthermore, even though I was still eating good, I was going over my calories but still feeling a bit lethargic at times. As though I wasn't eating enough calories. So I'm wondering if I should switch back to "active" for a higher daily calorie count. BTW- I'm 47, 6'1 and 269.8 . Thanks!

Replies

• stv1520
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The activity setting is just for general daily activity, not workouts. Workouts are added separately so that you consume more calories when you expend more calories.

My steps are automatically added as exercise, and I add my workouts separately.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    When you add your workouts, it should be adding calories to your daily totals. Are you eating all or part of those back as well?
  • stv1520
    Options
    When you add your workouts, it should be adding calories to your daily totals. Are you eating all or part of those back as well?

I did, and still going over my calories because I changed my activity level to "lightly active". I think I should change it to "active".
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    If your steps are automatically added it should be upping your calorie intake based on exercise and step/general activity. If you are getting a sizable bump daily in calories based on steps alone it might be worth upping your activity level to give you a better baseline.

If you choose to go this route - you should allow your step tracker to make negative calorie adjustments for less active days, which will make planning your food potentially a bit easier.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    You're active and personally I would change the settings to reflect that.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest monitoring your rate of weight loss for a few weeks. If the rate is too high or too low over a reasonable sample, then making and adjustment is sensible. Water weight can cause big fluctuations early on in cutting calories, so I'd suggest 3 or 4 weeks before adjusting.

On a related note, how many steps do you do a day? I don't log walking unless I've gone above and beyond; and I average 15,000 per day. This means "active" gives me a sensible baseline, despite having a sedentary job.
  • stv1520
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    I'd suggest monitoring your rate of weight loss for a few weeks. If the rate is too high or too low over a reasonable sample, then making and adjustment is sensible. Water weight can cause big fluctuations early on in cutting calories, so I'd suggest 3 or 4 weeks before adjusting.

On a related note, how many steps do you do a day? I don't log walking unless I've gone above and beyond; and I average 15,000 per day. This means "active" gives me a sensible baseline, despite having a sedentary job.

I've had days of 18,000 and as low as 3,500 if I'm on a day off of everything and relaxing. It varies but I average 10,000 a day usually.
  • mlsh69
    mlsh69 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I would go to active and see what happens. If weight loss stalls go back to light. Either way great job so far
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Looks like your earliest food logging date is August 26th which is 63 days ago.

If none of the initial loss was water weight that puts your rate of loss at 2.78 pounds per week. Assuming this is true that would put you eating an average of about 390 calories too little per day.

If you would like more exact numbers I would need how much weight you have lost since September 9th which should be past most initial water weight loss.
  • Privatesandbank
    Privatesandbank Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    stv1520 wrote: »
    Good morning all, I weighed in this morning and had a good weight loss week! Down 25 officially. My question is this: When I read the "getting started" posts, the OP stated that unless we are in a job where you're constantly moving (waitress, mail carrier etc.) you should mark yourself "lightly active" or "sedentary". Well, I did, and my calories were at 2,070 per day. As for my job, I'm on my feet quite a bit all day including stairs. I work out after work 5 days a week. I play hockey 2-3 times a week. That doesn't seem "lightly active" to me. Furthermore, even though I was still eating good, I was going over my calories but still feeling a bit lethargic at times. As though I wasn't eating enough calories. So I'm wondering if I should switch back to "active" for a higher daily calorie count. BTW- I'm 47, 6'1 and 269.8 . Thanks!

I had to set my activity to active. My TDEE is 2800 calories. I don’t have a very active job. I’m a normal student. Losing 2 pounds a week on 1800 calories.
  • stv1520
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    Looks like your earliest food logging date is August 26th which is 63 days ago.

If none of the initial loss was water weight that puts your rate of loss at 2.78 pounds per week. Assuming this is true that would put you eating an average of about 390 calories too little per day.

If you would like more exact numbers I would need how much weight you have lost since September 9th which should be past most initial water weight loss.

Approximately 13 lbs
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Definitely Active. I work a desk job but workout 6-7 days a week and I chose active and lose weight eating that calorie amount. You sound like you are more active than me so it shouldn't hurt you to change activity level.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Machafin wrote: »
    Definitely Active. I work a desk job but workout 6-7 days a week and I chose active and lose weight eating that calorie amount. You sound like you are more active than me so it shouldn't hurt you to change activity level.

but remember that MFP calorie goals DO NOT include purposeful workout
  • rdthoms
    rdthoms Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sedentary or lightly active unless you are not adding/tracking extra exercise calories. That is just your baseline. For folks that are truly active AND don't add that activity separately they can boost their baseline by choosing the higher activity setting. FWIW I've always thought those extra exercise calories are overestimated and only eat back half at most.