Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Volume Eaters Thread

1107108110112113118

Replies

  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 8,925 Member Member Posts: 8,925 Member
    Ok so I tried the xanthan gum method. Now I see what's happening. It only gets thick with this much volume of liquid because of the gum as that is the thickener. In theory you could even double this volume if you double the amount of liquid and xanthan gum. Hanthan gum will thicken as the mix stands and then kind of magically liquify when you stir it again. So to sum it up, 4 cups water with 1tsp xanthan gum and 31g pouch of oats will net you almost 5 cups of oats, but the texture is not like oats cooked with the proper amount of liquid. For those seeking volume, this might work. I always go for taste and texture first, and this is not for me.

    Pro tip. Instead of cooking this in the freezer simply mix in cup of ice cubes and stirr to cool down. Heat up and repeat with ice.
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 6,240 Member Member Posts: 6,240 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Ok so I tried the xanthan gum method. Now I see what's happening. It only gets thick with this much volume of liquid because of the gum as that is the thickener. In theory you could even double this volume if you double the amount of liquid and xanthan gum. Hanthan gum will thicken as the mix stands and then kind of magically liquify when you stir it again. So to sum it up, 4 cups water with 1tsp xanthan gum and 31g pouch of oats will net you almost 5 cups of oats, but the texture is not like oats cooked with the proper amount of liquid. For those seeking volume, this might work. I always go for taste and texture first, and this is not for me.

    Pro tip. Instead of cooking this in the freezer simply mix in cup of ice cubes and stirr to cool down. Heat up and repeat with ice.

    Did basically the same thing - only used 10 grams of oats - lots of water (maybe 3/4 -1 cups?) and .5 tsp-.75 tsp of xanthan. It just, like you mentioned 'thickens' it. It basically just turned into a 'globby pudding' thing...might be more like a bowl of oatmeal if I lowered the water and a bit more oatmeal.
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 6,240 Member Member Posts: 6,240 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Ok so I tried the xanthan gum method. Now I see what's happening. It only gets thick with this much volume of liquid because of the gum as that is the thickener. In theory you could even double this volume if you double the amount of liquid and xanthan gum. Hanthan gum will thicken as the mix stands and then kind of magically liquify when you stir it again. So to sum it up, 4 cups water with 1tsp xanthan gum and 31g pouch of oats will net you almost 5 cups of oats, but the texture is not like oats cooked with the proper amount of liquid. For those seeking volume, this might work. I always go for taste and texture first, and this is not for me.

    Pro tip. Instead of cooking this in the freezer simply mix in cup of ice cubes and stirr to cool down. Heat up and repeat with ice.

    Did basically the same thing - only used 10 grams of oats - lots of water (maybe 3/4 -1 cups?) and .5 tsp-.75 tsp of xanthan. It just, like you mentioned 'thickens' it. It basically just turned into a 'globby pudding' thing...might be more like a bowl of oatmeal if I lowered the water and a bit more oatmeal.

    m83eo5axohxm.jpg
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 8,925 Member Member Posts: 8,925 Member
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10770065/low-calorie-protein-packed-pancakes#latest

    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1
    calories 380
    Dietary Fiber 46 g 186 %
    Protein 56 g 113 %


    yt3b9ud4l878.jpg
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,106 Member Member Posts: 5,106 Member
    hsazsdnyv8yb.jpeg
    Made a stir fry again with that rice. 30 calories of rice, 40 calories bell pepper onion mix, 15 calories radish, added Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, 10 calories teriyaki sauce, some stevia, no salt salt. Excellent huge plate for 100 calories.
  • kelly_c_77kelly_c_77 Member Posts: 5,611 Member Member Posts: 5,611 Member
    Where did you find that rice?
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 8,925 Member Member Posts: 8,925 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Where did you find that rice?

    Whole foods is one of many places, also Amazon. In the shiratake rice, just like the noodles.
  • kellyflurrykellyflurry Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member Member, Premium Posts: 3 Member
    I'm a volume eater as well. If i go out to eat, i have to pregame and eat a salad at home before i go to dinner. That way at restaurant when i order a salad there, i wont be still hungry. By doing this i feel i had my regular portion of dinner salad at home, which is usually a bag of lettace per salad. Feeling full makes me happy. I hate stopping when you're still hungry. I rather eat a bag of lettace and get a full feeling vs 1 slice of pizza and want more.
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,106 Member Member Posts: 5,106 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Where did you find that rice?

    Whole foods is one of many places, also Amazon. In the shiratake rice, just like the noodles.
    Yes you can find any of those places. I buy it at wegmans. It is the only brand I’ll eat. All of the other brands I’ve tried were gross in texture and more clear like the tofu noodles. For some reason the tofu shirts ski and miracle noodle brand I find gross and they make me nauseous but not this brand. I’d eat them more often if they weren’t like 3.59 a bag.
    edited December 2019
  • glassyoglassyo Member Posts: 4,340 Member Member Posts: 4,340 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Where did you find that rice?

    Whole foods is one of many places, also Amazon. In the shiratake rice, just like the noodles.
    Yes you can find any of those places. I buy it at wegmans. It is the only brand I’ll eat. All of the other brands I’ve tried were gross in texture and more clear like the tofu noodles. For some reason the tofu shirts ski and miracle noodle brand I find gross and they make me nauseous but not this brand. I’d eat them more often if they weren’t like 3.59 a bag.

    What section? I skimmed the refrigerated tofuey section and the rice sections but didn't see it.
  • Noreenmarie1234Noreenmarie1234 Member Posts: 5,106 Member Member Posts: 5,106 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Where did you find that rice?

    Whole foods is one of many places, also Amazon. In the shiratake rice, just like the noodles.
    Yes you can find any of those places. I buy it at wegmans. It is the only brand I’ll eat. All of the other brands I’ve tried were gross in texture and more clear like the tofu noodles. For some reason the tofu shirts ski and miracle noodle brand I find gross and they make me nauseous but not this brand. I’d eat them more often if they weren’t like 3.59 a bag.

    What section? I skimmed the refrigerated tofuey section and the rice sections but didn't see it.

    They are not refrigerated! I find them in the noodle/rice organic area in Wegmans. They might be by the gluten free pasta/rice too. I haven't found at any other stores but just assumed whole foods would have. I also buy online from amazon/vitacost when they have sales.
  • glassyoglassyo Member Posts: 4,340 Member Member Posts: 4,340 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Where did you find that rice?

    Whole foods is one of many places, also Amazon. In the shiratake rice, just like the noodles.
    Yes you can find any of those places. I buy it at wegmans. It is the only brand I’ll eat. All of the other brands I’ve tried were gross in texture and more clear like the tofu noodles. For some reason the tofu shirts ski and miracle noodle brand I find gross and they make me nauseous but not this brand. I’d eat them more often if they weren’t like 3.59 a bag.

    What section? I skimmed the refrigerated tofuey section and the rice sections but didn't see it.

    They are not refrigerated! I find them in the noodle/rice organic area in Wegmans. They might be by the gluten free pasta/rice too. I haven't found at any other stores but just assumed whole foods would have. I also buy online from amazon/vitacost when they have sales.

    LOL @just_Tomek mentioned Whole Foods. I checked amazon and, damn, that doesn't go for cheap!
  • laurenebargarlaurenebargar Member Posts: 1,346 Member Member Posts: 1,346 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    Where did you find that rice?

    Whole foods is one of many places, also Amazon. In the shiratake rice, just like the noodles.
    Yes you can find any of those places. I buy it at wegmans. It is the only brand I’ll eat. All of the other brands I’ve tried were gross in texture and more clear like the tofu noodles. For some reason the tofu shirts ski and miracle noodle brand I find gross and they make me nauseous but not this brand. I’d eat them more often if they weren’t like 3.59 a bag.

    What section? I skimmed the refrigerated tofuey section and the rice sections but didn't see it.

    They are not refrigerated! I find them in the noodle/rice organic area in Wegmans. They might be by the gluten free pasta/rice too. I haven't found at any other stores but just assumed whole foods would have. I also buy online from amazon/vitacost when they have sales.

    LOL @just_Tomek mentioned Whole Foods. I checked amazon and, damn, that doesn't go for cheap!

    They are in the "natures market place" section in my wegmans!
  • jmorton36153jmorton36153 Member Posts: 6 Member Member Posts: 6 Member
    For volume food, I like to steam brussels sprouts, broccoli, and cauliflower. Also, cutting a cabbage into wedges and roasting it is a good easy way to make some good volume food.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Member Posts: 8,925 Member Member Posts: 8,925 Member
    Package from naturamarket.ca arrived to supplement my volume eating ways

    65mapwlpkbcr.jpg
  • mytyglotzmytyglotz Member Posts: 317 Member Member Posts: 317 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Package from naturamarket.ca arrived to supplement my volume eating ways

    65mapwlpkbcr.jpg

    Well, Happy New Year to you!! (And those companies (: )
    (On a side note: I am munching on a massive egg white "omelet" with bell peppers and shirataki, all atop a large nest of salad greens as I type!! - or, rather, between letter-tapping :blush: )


    I wish you, and the rest of this rich community a healthy, happy, and enlightening year ahead!!
  • redcaseredcase Member Posts: 68 Member Member Posts: 68 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Package from naturamarket.ca arrived to supplement my volume eating ways

    65mapwlpkbcr.jpg

    Ooooh great noodle selection. Looks like I have a new site to check out. Thanks!
  • mytyglotzmytyglotz Member Posts: 317 Member Member Posts: 317 Member
    Hello!!
    How are you All?
    I did a quick search in this forum prior to asking a question that I thought might've already been answered, but I only found a few posts regarding my current topic of interest, ....so I hope it is okay for me to go ahead and ask!! (:

    Do any of you have a recipe or recipe ideas incorporating kelp noodles?
    I've made cold "salads" before (and not very creative ones, might I ask), but I would really appreciate any tried-and-approved ideas you all might have to offer!!

    Thank you ♡
    edited January 6
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 6,240 Member Member Posts: 6,240 Member
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Hello!!
    How are you All?
    I did a quick search in this forum prior to asking a question that I thought might've already been answered, but I only found a few posts regarding my current topic of interest, ....so I hope it is okay for me to go ahead and ask!! (:

    Do any of you have a recipe or recipe ideas incorporating kelp noodles?
    I've made cold "salads" before (and not very creative ones, might I ask), but I would really appreciate any tried-and-approved ideas you all might have to offer!!

    Thank you ♡

    I don't know about your experiences regarding Kelp Noodles....I thought they were great until my body needed to digest them...not a good thing for me....
Sign In or Register to comment.