Career question - Temp work? Opinions wanted!

Options
2»

Replies

• emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Update: I had a good initial phone interview with recruiter for one of the positions I applied to last night. checks boxes for salary, benefits, and commute (barely). Going forward with interview with HR.

I am also on the client list for Robert Half and I went ahead and told him just permanent or temp-to-hire positions.

I have another call back for different application on lunch today.

Thank you to everyone for the great advice! Now to juggle the anxiety between "What if I get it (and have to announce leaving to current boss)?" and "What if I don't get this?"
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    emmies_123 wrote: »
    -Should I consider a pay cut if the commute is much shorter than what I have now (say half the time)?
    -Am I being silly for even rocking the boat? I get along (most days) with bosses, casual dress code, can do my work well...
    -How do you be picky about next career change without coming off harsh/difficult person?

No experience with temp work but my advice for the following:
    -Should I consider a pay cut if the commute is much shorter than what I have now (say half the time)? - nope, salary is based on your skills and workload, it shouldn't vary drastically within a commutable distance.
    -Am I being silly for even rocking the boat? I get along (most days) with bosses, casual dress code, can do my work well... - not silly at all, in my personal experience casual desire to leave turns into "I need to get the hell out of here" in about a year. Never hurts to be ahead of the game, and the less badly you need to leave the more time you have to make sure your next opportunity is exactly what you want. I am just wondering why you are looking at temp work if you arent in a hurry to get out and feel uncomfortable with it. Are you looking for permanent positions too?
    -How do you be picky about next career change without coming off harsh/difficult person? - I don't think picky people do come off as harsh or difficult. Your job is a big part of you life, no one is telling you to marry the first person who walks by on the street, why approach your next job with that kind of carelessness. The person hiring should want you to be the right fit for the job as much as it is the right fit for you, unhappy workers tend to be crappy workers.

Item 1 - So if a job offered, say 2k less annually (per posting) and was half the commute, I shouldn't consider it?
    Item 2 - I am looking for permanent FT work too. I just did not want to limit my options by automatically ruling out Temp work because "it's just temping" when it may have been really useful option. And things that can't change have been festering for a while, but not quite at the "I need to escape" level yet.
    Item 3 - Thank you! I have issues saying no to people and I've been in a position where I may have to turn down a job before.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you think it best for you, but in the situation you outlined I would be heading into negotiations, not just accepting the first offer.